Rum Point prices?

Rhitson88

Was considering going to Rum Point as I have heard the 7 mile beach is hurricane hit and does not look like what it used to. Also heard that the only way to get there is through rental or tour. Probably just go by ourselves as it will be a group of 3 adults and a 3 yr old. I got a few questions.

1. What is the cost of Rum Point?

2. Anybody know the cost about of what a rental car would be like?

3. Also only 22 yr old so would that be an ok age to rent a car?

4. Is it hard to get to?

5. Cruise leaves at 4 so is it close enough to be worth it?

6. And do rental companies provide car seats?

Answering these questions would be very helpful even if you can't answer all of them. Thank you.

"Was considering going to Rum Point as I have heard the 7 mile beach is hurricane hit and does not look like what it used to."

That was in 2004, and Rum Point was also hit, whole island was. Fully recovered now. SMB doesn't look like it used to because it has been further developed.

"Also heard that the only way to get there is through rental or tour."

One other option (by far the most expensive) is to take a taxi, just need to arrange for a return trip

Free to enter and use facilities, chair, loungers, water, showers etc...In exchange they do not permit any outside food and drink, you must purchase on-site.

Depending on size, a rental car would be $40-$80 per day.

Some agencies require you to be at least 21 yrs. old (Andy's is one) and I believe some require 25.

4. Is it hard to get to?

Very easy, about a 45-60 minute drive depending on if you take the "direct" or scenic route.

I prefer Rum Point to SMB (more tranquil and less hurly burly/goings on), but if on a cruise I would suggest SMB, especially if it is your first visit.

You would need to arrange for one in advance.

"Was considering going to Rum Point as I have heard the 7 mile beach is hurricane hit and does not look like what it used to."

That was in 2004, and Rum Point was also hit, whole island was. Fully recovered now. SMB doesn't look like it used to because it has been further developed.

"Also heard that the only way to get there is through rental or tour."

One other option (by far the most expensive) is to take a taxi, just need to arrange for a return trip

Free to enter and use facilities, chair, loungers, water, showers etc...In exchange they do not permit any outside food and drink, you must purchase on-site.

Depending on size, a rental car would be $40-$80 per day.

Some agencies require you to be at least 21 yrs. old (Andy's is one) and I believe some require 25.

4. Is it hard to get to?

Very easy, about a 45-60 minute drive depending on if you take the "direct" or scenic route.

I prefer Rum Point to SMB (more tranquil and less hurly burly/goings on), but if on a cruise I would suggest SMB, especially if it is your first visit.

You would need to arrange for one in advance.

Awesome. About the taxi, you said it would be the MOST expensive?Is that correct? How come, because of distance?

You can also take a tour that goes to Rum Point. We will be doing a "Reef, Rays and Rum Point" tour with Nativeway Watersports that goes to Stingray City, a barrier reef for snorkeling and Rum Point. It's $62.50 per person (my daughter is free) and that includes lunch. I don't really like snorkeling but wanted to go to Rum Point so the catamaran trip will be nice. I think you only get about 1.5 hours at Rum Point though. If you rented a car you should be able to spend more time there.

Hi,

You say that you book with Native Sport. How do you reserve? Do you have to pay in advance or put your credit card down? We will be there soon too. ;)

Thanks

Hi! Just google Nativeways, Grand Cayman and their web site will pop up. You don't have to pay in advance but I think they take a credit card number but don't run it. We did this tour in May of this year and it was the highlight of our cruise. We have done the rays and the reef on prior trips but this time we really wanted to see Rum Point so we booked this tour and LOVED it!

Kathy

You can also take a tour that goes to Rum Point. We will be doing a "Reef, Rays and Rum Point" tour with Nativeway Watersports that goes to Stingray City, a barrier reef for snorkeling and Rum Point. It's $62.50 per person (my daughter is free) and that includes lunch. I don't really like snorkeling but wanted to go to Rum Point so the catamaran trip will be nice. I think you only get about 1.5 hours at Rum Point though. If you rented a car you should be able to spend more time there.

I wash hoping Nativeway was still in business...we will be in GC next May....we used Nativeway in 2005...they provided a great service....the only problem we had was on the way back to the marina one of the engines stopped working...very slow go getting back...we didn't have time to look at anything inport..

Nativeway no longer requires a credit card to reserve a tour. Their website is http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/ - you can review tour descriptions and then fill out a booking form. I received an e-mail confirmation from Sharon Ebanks.

Here's what they wrote in my confirmation e-mail:

We no longer require that you provide your credit card number to guarantee your arrival, so you are all set! You will pay on our tour boat. We accept cash, Traveler's Checks, MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover. If you pay via credit card, you will be charged a 4% processing fee.

We ask that you provide at least one week advance notice to cancel. If your ship is unable to visit in Grand Cayman, we will automatically cancel your reservation, at no cost to you.

We too have done the stingray thing & really enjoyed it. But this time we want to go somewhere different, we are considering going to Rum Point with or with out a snorkel tour. A catamaran sail to Rum Point would be cool, snorkel tour or not. Does anyone have experience with this? We would appreciate any & all advice, thanks :)

I prefer Rum Point to SMB (more tranquil and less hurly burly/goings on)

:D:eek::D Guess you haven't been there on a Sunday recently? ;) I have to argue with this comment, since it really depends on the day/time you are there. On weekends and holidays, Rum Point can be an absolute ZOO. Other days of the week it's much better, but it can still be busy if the right combination of visitors all hit the beach at the same time.

Turtletagger is dead on with the rest of his comments, though...especially about the hurricane damage. The island is fine now...and has been for years.

There are a couple of other threads that compare Rum Point and Seven Mile...if you do a quick search in this forum, I'm sure they'll pop up...

:D:eek::D Guess you haven't been there on a Sunday recently? ;) I have to argue with this comment, since it really depends on the day/time you are there. On weekends and holidays, Rum Point can be an absolute ZOO. Other days of the week it's much better, but it can still be busy if the right combination of visitors all hit the beach at the same time.

Since cruise ships do not make ports of call on Sundays, I did not think it germane to the thread. But yes, as I live in the area, I know full well that Sundays (or when that silly Carnival Ship comes to play their Survivor-esq games) at Rum Point can be like Royal Palms with 6 ships in port. :rolleyes:

A taxi would be the most expensive option vs. renting a car for going to Rum Point. In the neighborhood of $80 each way. Much less, $5 pp or so for trips from tender area to 7 Mile Beach environs.

Turtle I've been Googling & cannot find a Catamaran or boat that goes just straight to Rum Point & that's what we would really like to do. You mention you live in the area, might you know of the name of a snorkel guide or reasonable boat/cat for hire that might do this?

Everything I find has the stingray island thing included. We don't really want to do that again this trip, we would like something different, visit Rum Point & just snorkel on our own. We did very much enjoy visiting stingray city a couple years ago...

Thanks in advance

We rented a jeep and drove to Rum Point last week and had a great day. It's a great beach for families with kids - shallow water, shady. My dh and son snorkeled and saw some great fish, then rented jetskis. Prices for food/drinks were pretty steep.

I believe the Jeep was between $80 and $90 with all insurance (can't be too careful!) We just got food/drinks from the walk-up bar, not the restaurant, but the posted prices for mixed drinks appeared to be between $8 and $12 - but they sure looked GOOD! My daughter and I ordered a burger, a hot dog kids' meal, and 2 soft drinks for about $25 - yikes! There are signs everywhere about no outside food allowed - I definitely understand why people would try to bring stuff in!!

We did have a great day there - a very relaxing beach.

Thanks much for the reply Libby :)

The jeep isn't too bad espically if split with another couple. Did that $80. -$90. include fuel?

Yes those drink & food prices are a lil high. How were their rum drinks??? ;) I'll be needin some rum & maybe a Stingray beer or two after snorkelin!

Wondering If you snorkeled at rum point? & how it was???

Thanks,

GC dreamin Dawg

Fuel not included, and we didn't drink any of the rum drinks, so I can't attest to their quality!! My son and husband did snorkel and said it was good. They saw a huge fish with big TEETH underneath the pier!! My husband said he was going to wave something at the fish and try to get it to move, then decided it was probably bigger than he was and that might not be such a great idea!

Just saw the fuel price on the way home.

Now at CI$4.83 per Imp Gallon which brings it up to US$5.02 per US gallon. And USA Today is saying how gas prices are already dropping pre-Labor Day! I wish!

Forget smuggling booze aboard. Can anyone sneak me some gas!??? :D

Just saw the fuel price on the way home.

Forget smuggling booze aboard. Can anyone sneak me some gas!??? :D

Bwaaaaaaaaaaah! Now that's funny

Thank you Libby & thank you Drew

At $5.02 per gallon I guess if we were to do the jeep thing I guess we could add another $50.00 to the total cost (for fuel) :(

Archived