Cave-Tubing..Please don't laugh..

ernie530

I am REALLY wanting to go cave-tubing in Belize but am starting to get EXTREMELY nervous about snakes and spiders in the water.

If you have a moment...can you please tell me if this is something I need to worry about? I am terrified at the thought and am thinking about not going because of it but don't want to miss out if there is nothing to be afraid of.

Also, sounds silly...but how wet do you get on that? Is it "dry" enough to carry a glucose monitor and a diabetic pump in a waterproof bag while floating down the river instead of leaving it on the ship and taking shots.

THANK YOU FOR ANY THOUGHTS...We sail in 11 days. Can't wait but starting to worry!

First cruise...and my honeymoon! :-)

i loved it:) for the most part it was a very leisurely float with the current. we found that in some areas it was shallow and we were told to hold our bums up:o DH is a big boy and he found he couldnt get his bum situated on the tube, so he had to float with his head thru the tube holding on. people are going down these streams and thru the caves all the time. i never saw any snakes, spiders or bugs of any kind. we even stayed a week in the interior and had no troubles, bugs or snakes! we were told to put bug spray on though for our trek thru the trail to the river. whatever you have with you goes in the water, there is no place to leave anything as you wont be back, you are traveling downstream. wear watershoes or sandals. not too sure if the insulin pump even in a bag would be good. DH and a few others got a little dunked at the exit area. someone is there to help you in and out. its very relaxing and enjoyable!

I am sure this isnt what you wanna hear but...

My wife and I are avid Hikers. The general rule that applies basically ANYWHERE IS..... If your so terrified of snakes that y

ou dont want to be near them then never ever go into teh woods of any kind or place, never go into your lawn or anywhere else grassy! They are EVERYWHERE! 9 times out of ten they wont hurt you as long as you respect your distance and most arent even poisoness. They have seen you way more than you have seen them! As far as spiders you may want to live in a bubble because its scientific knowledge that no matter where you are at any time of your life you are less than 5 feet away from a spider!

Now I am not trying to be mean but trying to show that there really isnt anything to fear becuase you have been less than 5 foot from a spider everyday in fact right now! AND you have probably been less than 10 feet to a snake countless times in your life! Yes they are there, are you going to see them? Less likely! :)

LOL....I can handle a couple...I was under the impression that there could be many!!!

Where are you swimming with horses??

lol

We are swimming with horses in Grand Cayman with Coral Stone Stables!! :D

If you have a dry sack like kayakers use then your medical stuff would be okay but you should plan on getting wet. We had to slide down a short bank to get into the tube and of course I missed my tube and went all the way in. No biggie, water was warm and it was all great fun.

I can't remember seeing anything in the water or while we were hiking. The hike through the jungle is more like a stroll down a gravel path. We stopped a few times while our guide told us about some of the trees we were passing.

Just be sure that several of you are linked together in a train when you float down the river. If the river is high it's safer to be together.

Have a great time and enjoy your honeymoon.

Paula

We have been cave tubing, with Reggie Trapp, twice, in Belize. We had such a good time with him the 1st time we wanted to go with him again.You don't see any snakes or spiders in the caves, they don't like the dark! We have never seen any snakes or spiders walking to the river either. You walk along the only trail so well trampled by people, both stay away from us humans.

Reggie is $45@ plus a few $$$ to get in to the caves. Reggie's max is 14 - not the 30-40 of most tours. We had less than 10 on our tours. When he has that many he has a guide at rthe front and the back.

For more info on Reggie, email me at bonniejns@hotmail.com, subject 'cave tubing' and I will also give you contact info.

We didn't see any spiders or snakes either; but then, I'm not really afraid of them anyway, just reasonably cautious around them. We didn't even see any insects in the 'hike' (it's more like a walk) except a few gnats.

You might get lucky and not get very wet, but I'd plan on getting soaked and then you will be prepared.

As suggested earlier, bring a dry sack for the diabetic supplies if you think you'll need them on the tour.

BTW--we had a great time. Personally, I'd do an independent tour rather than a ship tour, but that's up to you.

I have done the cave-tubing twice in Belize. Did not see any snakes or spiders, but watch out for dogs! There are local dogs that like to paddle down the river with the tourists, so you might feel a furry creature next to you at some point. If you put your medical needs in a waterproof bag around your neck, you should be fine. There aren't any rapids to speak of. It is a great experience - do it!

Archived