Cenote/Ruins Progreso Excursion

beckstar

I'm new to the forums, and was advised to post in this area for my question. Any help would be greatly appreciated to make everyone happy on our excursion. I will admit, my HAPPINESS will override if a decision has to be made between the two!:)

I have googled until I'm googled out! We are going to be in Progresso with Carnival. One person really wants to see ruins and the other (myself) wants to swim in a cenote. I know that I do not want to go to the cenote at Dzibilchaltun because it is above ground.

I would really like to go to the ruins at Uxmal. I can't find any cenotes along the road there except for sotuta de peon. The tour for this hacienda is 4 hours long and starts at 10 and 1 so that doesn't leave enough time to go to Uxmal.

I even tried a private tour through mayan ecotours and she says there's not enough time for both.

Swimming in a cenote for an hour and ruins for an hour would be enough for us so everyone is happy. Making it back to the ship on time is the tough part or is it? Experts, please help! I'm googled out.

Carnival now has a Biking/Cenote snorkel excursion. It is fairly new (I think we were the second group). I posted a review under the Elation (and under Progreso Port of Call). The cenotes are basically tiny open caves with freezing cold water at the bottom. And bats. And lots of bugs. The excursion that I was on took all day and we did not have time for anything else, barely had time to shop at the duty free shop. We also chose to do this Carnival excursion for fear of not making it back to the ship on time. It was over an hour from the ship. Hope this helps.

On our last vacation trip to Chichen Itza our tour stopped at a Cenote after we left Chichen Itza and and we got into the water and it was refreshing. After being in the heat all day long it was good to take a dip. I will try to post more pictures and try to look through my notes to see what the cenote was called. It was beatiful!! The water was so clear that you can see all the fish in the water! The water is cold but to me it was refreshing after being in the heat all day. I'm looking forward to our next land vacation trip to do this tour again.

I have to dig deeper to find out where it was...I don't recall the name of the cenote but here are some pics. It was a beautiful place, I have to say that my pictures do not capture the beauty.

From Above:

005_5-1.jpg

Second story: People were actually diving off

off -they just climbed the stairs and they dived into the cenote!

I wasn't that brave!!

022_22-1.jpg

014_14-1-1.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The cenote in the photos is called Ik Kil. Entry is 70 pesos and it is located just outside of Chichen Itza. It is a natural cenote but has been "enhanced". Lots of tourists too.

Jarand - there is a cenote on the way to Uxmal; small but a cenote nevertheless.

Poke around here for my email (can't post it here) and I will be happy to answer any questions directly.

• 5 years later...

Yes you can do Pyramids, Cenote and Lunch through a company called YucatanCenote.com We have done it several times. We visited Mayapan ruins and the other time we visited Uxmal ruins... both times with an amazing Cenote and lunch. It can be done from the port of Progreso.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes you can do Pyramids, Cenote and Lunch through a company called YucatanCenote.com We have done it several times. We visited Mayapan ruins and the other time we visited Uxmal ruins... both times with an amazing Cenote and lunch. It can be done from the port of Progreso.

I see these are private tours. Can you give an idea of how much this cost you?

• 2 weeks later...
I see these are private tours. Can you give an idea of how much this cost you?

I just received a quote from Lawson tours and it was $80 per person for 6 of us. This was for the Mayapan Ruins, and cenote.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It really depends on what you are looking for.

Holy Guacamole has a rope swing and a cliff jump.

Hole Enchilada - Open / has a cliff jump and a platform jump.

Hole Enchilada - Cavern / has a small jump from the stairs, but the Cenote in itself is spectacular with amazing stalactites on the ceiling and under the water. So a better snorkel.