Free drinks when you buy the Shopping Book??

Has anyone just recently returned from a Royal Cruise and purchased the Shopping Book (25 dollars I think) and have a sticker put on your sea pass card - allowing you a Drink of the Day or free drinks - buy one get one - if so can you post exactly what you got - want to know if its worth the purchase - I have purchased a few times in the past and have collected a bunch of goodies which I still have some - gave some away

I read this somewhere yesterday on the Forums but can't find it and it was very vague as to what you get - some say Fu Fu Drinks, some just say regular ones

Thanks in advance:)

Has anyone just recently returned from a Royal Cruise and purchased the Shopping Book (25 dollars I think) and have a sticker put on your sea pass card - allowing you a Drink of the Day or free drinks - buy one get one - if so can you post exactly what you got - want to know if its worth the purchase - I have purchased a few times in the past and have collected a bunch of goodies which I still have some - gave some away

I read this somewhere yesterday on the Forums but can't find it and it was very vague as to what you get - some say Fu Fu Drinks, some just say regular ones

I purchased the Port Shopping Book on the Indy on Feb. 20, 2010 (yes, I know who you are!) and was able, with the sticker they put on my SeaPass card, to purchase as many of the BOGOF Drinks of the Day as I

wanted. Each day in the Cruise Compass there is a special Drink of the Day listed and that is the only one you will be allowed to get at that price. Some days I didn't particularly like the Drink of the Day so didn't use the service that day but more than likely made up for it the next day.

I also used the book to get trinkets for the granddaughters while we were in the ports. I made a list of which places to visit and hit them first and then spent the rest of the day enjoying myself. No problems dealing with the merchants even though I usually didn't purchase anything else in their stores. I have my favorites that I keep going back to.

For us the $25 purchase was well worth the price as you really only need to use it two times and you practically have your money back since the special drinks of the day were usually $5.95. And, how else will you get all those lovely Tanzanite, pink sapphire, yellow topaz earrings and Del Sol bags for free even if you can barely see the stones?

Happy Sailing!!

The drinks aren't "free"...they end up costing you the price of the booklet!

Unless you REALLY need the shopping book (and most find it quite worthless), then just pay for a drink...you'll come out ahead!

Yes they do but all you have to do is drink 4 drinks, give or take a $, to make it pay for itself. Now if you stick to D.O.D and you're on a long cruise, or a short cruise and do all drink the buying :D, this is a great way to cut your bar bill substantially. Assuming you can stomach the drinks. But you do get to try a new drink each day.

There seems to be some confusion or perhaps difference is a better word? between what ships offer this program and what drinks are offered, be it the DOD or as another thread suggested, drinks with rum in them.

Wondering if anyone has any literature on this actual offering, or it is simply, as others have suggested, visit the Port Talk and buy a sticker for $25 and head to a bar?

• 1 month later...

The only free thing I got was water! I used the coupons from the book to get all the trinkets. I did have to wait and I was looked down upon when I went to the stores to collect my free stuff....they were ofcourse more interested in the buying customers than the freebee collectors.

I got the book day1 of my oasis cruise. 2 wks ago - I got the sticker for BOGO drink of the day - in the souviner glasses! I had at least 1 per day and if I really liked the drink I had 2 or 4 with the book deal. I easily made my $25.00 back and then some each drink with Grat & tax was about 7.95 sometimes 6.99 so do that for 6 or 7 times and I paid 55.00 in drinks and got 55.00 in drinks so I got my 25 back plus about 25+ more in drinks.

I also used it for the free junk on the islands.

There seems to be some confusion or perhaps difference is a better word? between what ships offer this program and what drinks are offered, be it the DOD or as another thread suggested, drinks with rum in them.

Wondering if anyone has any literature on this actual offering, or it is simply, as others have suggested, visit the Port Talk and buy a sticker for $25 and head to a bar?

Hi,

I see you guys are on the same Jan 2/2011 cruise that I am on. I went for a cruise on the same ship in March. We bought the $25 coupon book. No free drink offer, but they touted as if the book was disappearing from the face of the earth and it was the last copy ever on the ship! I used some coupons from it, mostly the freebee ones. Collected some cute trinkets for my daughter. Mostly there are ads in the book for jewelry you can buy at the advertised prices. Still have the book and many coupons. I am going ot use the book on future cruises as well since some coupons dont have a use by date.

so either this shopping book is not worth it anymore or it varies widely from ship to ship. On the Indy back in March 2010, I didn't even bother to look. that's too bad, was planning to try out the DOD several times a day on the upcoming Allure! the bad economy is gettin to RI and they wanna make every penny off alcohol.

Voyager out of Galveston last March had this offer. However, you had to sit through most of their port shopping talk to get it. They put a little smiley sticker on my seapass card :). It worked out pretty good as my in-laws (on a fixed budget) were able to have the DOD everytime I did and they didn't have to pay for it. Plus, as mentioned before, we got to try drinks we probably would have never orered. Most of them were good.

...For us the $25 purchase was well worth the price as you really only need to use it two times and you practically have your money back since the special drinks of the day were usually $5.95...
Humm. $5.95 two times practically equals $25. I have a really nice bridge for sale if you are interested in another great deal.

Just back from the Oasis and YES, you buy one drink and get the second one free and it is the drink of the day. Well worth the $25 because you can get as many a day as you want - woooooooooooo hoooooooo :D

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, but you're getting four drinks - not two.
Yes you are getting four drinks, but you are only getting two free ones. You have paid $25 + ($5.95 * 1.15% [tip] *2) = $38.68 for those four drinks, or $9.68 per drink. Now if you buy four drinks and get four free ones [easily done during the course of a cruise], you have recovered your $25 "investment", are are ahead from there on.

enjoy

Thom

• 3 months later...

We just got off Oasis on Saturday. We purchased the shopping organizer - it is now $30. The drink special that came with it was bogo martini in the martini bar before 5pm. Since that is a bit early for me for a martini, we didn't use that benefit. However, we did use several of the coupons in the book that resulted in significant savings on port purchases, so still feel it was worth it for us.

Archived