Vancouver Suggestion

Truffle

For Bruinsteve or anyone else spending time post- or pre-cruise in Vancouver:

After our Southbound Alaska cruise on Mercury in 2000 we had a wonderful experience one evening in Vancouver. I think we arranged it with Grayline Tours through our TA. We took a moonlight dinner train. It was so lovely! A van picked us up at our hotel and took us to the train station where we were greated by a live band playing some of the great old big band "train songs." Each couple was photographed and we boarded the train for a lovely ride through a beautiful wooded mountainside. Through the trees, at one point we overlooked the bay and actually saw the Mercury sailing away out to sea on her northbound departure with the sun in the background! It was especially bittersweet for us as our daughter was working as a dancer on Mercury at the time and we had just spent the most marvelous week with her and her friends on a fabulous cruise, first time in Alaska and first cruise in ten years--not to mention we hadn't seen her in several months! I had a tear in my eye watching her (daughter AND Mercury!) "sail off into the sunset!"

Anyway, we were on the train for about an hour or an hour and a half if I recall and were served a very nice dinner. There was a full bar available and the scenery was gorgeous!

We arrived at another train station where we all debarked to more live music and dancing. This station was near a lovely lake and many spent some time strolling there as well. After a time we re-boarded the train for the return trip as the sun set. We were served desert and coffee and the bar was again available. When we returned to the Vancouver train station they had the photos available for those who wished to purchase them and a van returned us to our hotel. It was such a lovely parting moment and helped ease the transition of the end of our cruise!

Hope this dinner train is still available for any of you who wish to try it!!

Archived