Cruise pricing

notalandlover

I realize that cruise pricing has a lot to do with supply and demand. What I don't understand is why cruises are usually priced less in Oct. I'm not complaining but trying to understand why this ocurs. Could it have to with hurricane season??:confused: Thanks in advance.:D

• Hurricane season in the Atlantic is from June 1 through the end of November. So it really doesn't play that much into the costing. Given that Summer is one of the speak cruising periods.
  • Holidays, and spring break are all considered peak season.
  • That pretty much leaves September and October for non peak cruise periods where customer demand is low and inventory of empty cabins is high ,which is the more likely reason there good values in these months.

May and October/November are low seasons in travel. In May spring is in the air and school is near finished so why travel when the weather finally turns nice and your kids should not leave a few weeks before exams.

October and November are also low givent that kids are but a month into the new school year and with Thanksgiving in November most Americans travel to see family not for pleasure at that time of year. I also know that most people take a week or two for "spring break" and again the summer so come the fall most people have no vacation time left.

I used to work in the hotels and May was dead time as was October.

It all comes down to supply and demand.

In October many children are back in school and it is an overall slower time for cruising.

In the end, it is the demand that is a major driver for pricing as it is for all other areas of the travel industry and of course other goods and services.

Keith

Take a look at Caribbean cruises just after Thanksgiving week to just before Xmas/New Years weeks.

Slim chance of a hurricane , great rates (even for those that book early as the cruise lines know they are soft sailings between those holidays and therir rates reflect that.);)

Also, for those of us who live in climate where it is cold in the winter, we enjoy getting away from the cold weather for a while and enjoy cruising in cold weather months. In October its not hot, and not cold, so many prefer to stay close to home during those months. There's not the motivation of getting away from the cold as there is in the other months.

Archived