What tour company to do the CHACCHOBEN RUINS with?

jrmoore13

Right now I am looking at the Native Choice and Costamayacruiseexcursions.*** Does anyone have any suggestions on who to do this tour with?

This is our second cruise but our first time doing excursions and don't want to pay the cruise line excursion prices but have heard the nightmares about getting back to the ship etc. I would like a good reputable company that have good reviews.

Suggestions?

Right now I am looking at the Native Choice and Costamayacruiseexcursions.*** Does anyone have any suggestions on who to do this tour with?

This is our second cruise but our first time doing excursions and don't want to pay the cruise line excursion prices but have heard the nightmares about getting back to the ship etc. I would like a good reputable company that have good reviews.

Suggestions?

If you search this board, you will find some very good reviews of Native Choice. David and Ivan are excellent guides and very aware of the ships schedules.

Native Choice. David and Ivan hands down. There are plenty of post that will confirm this. You will learn a lot from them and the groups are small. The best $50 tour you will have. On the way back you can either get dropped off in town or back at the port.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions?

Ivan led our tour to the ruins in Oct 2009. His bus was new, spotless with very dark glass that definitely shielded the sun (and heat). He has a very interesting story and in-depth knowledge of the ruins which he shares during the bus ride. We followed up with another of their excursions to the 'Blue Lagoons' or lakes of 7 colors (not sure of the name), where we were provided a wonderful lunch made just for us, by an American couple who own the restaurant/resort/campground that is miles from anything. We were the only 4 people who had signed up for this excursion and the four of us were shuttled there in a van with 2 guides. It was excellent tour and an absolutely beautiful place. If you check their website, you will see it listed as a combination tour. We swam in the crystal clear lake that had a bottom of large stones (limestone?). It was a wonderful day and really great to move away from the crowds and enjoy the beauty of this area of Mexico.

We went to Chacchoben with Native Choice earlier this year. They are one of the better tour operators that we've ever used. Our friends from the cruise went on one of the big bus operators and were jealous of our smaller group with our super knowledgeable guides.

If you're interested, you can see our Chacchoben photos at:

(inluding the inside of their nice vans)

Hope this helps!

We went to Chacchoben with Native Choice earlier this year. They are one of the better tour operators that we've ever used. Our friends from the cruise went on one of the big bus operators and were jealous of our smaller group with our super knowledgeable guides.

If you're interested, you can see our Chacchoben photos at:

(inluding the inside of their nice vans)

Hope this helps!

Love your pics...can you tell me how many temples there is too visit????

Suggestions?

I choice Native Choice for my 3/11 cruise with family. There is a shuttle (ticket provided) to go outside the port where their office is a couple of blocks away. It is the same price but has very good reviews on tripadvisor and cruise critic. This is cheaper than cruise ships.

I hope you have fun!

We just did a tour to Chacchoben with Native Choice last week. Because of the good reviews we had read, we were looking forward to having David or Ivan as our guide. We were told that David and Ivan were in Cancun, and our guide was Joel....very knowledgable and a good guide, and we really enjoyed the tour. My husband is into Mayan history and was really impressed with all of the knowledge and information provided by Joel. The site is very interesting and well maintained, and some of the best preserved Mayan ruins we have seen out of many sites in Mexico and Belize. It is hot and humid at the site. Bring an umbrella or poncho if it looks likd rain. Bring cold water, a cold wash cloth and bug spray, and wear comfortable walking shoes...there is a small climb up to two of the temples, but most definitely worth the climb! Would recommend visiting Chacchoben and doing it with Native Choice. A great tour!!:p

• 2 weeks later...
We just did a tour to Chacchoben with Native Choice last week. Because of the good reviews we had read, we were looking forward to having David or Ivan as our guide. We were told that David and Ivan were in Cancun, and our guide was Joel....very knowledgable and a good guide, and we really enjoyed the tour. My husband is into Mayan history and was really impressed with all of the knowledge and information provided by Joel. The site is very interesting and well maintained, and some of the best preserved Mayan ruins we have seen out of many sites in Mexico and Belize. It is hot and humid at the site. Bring an umbrella or poncho if it looks likd rain. Bring cold water, a cold wash cloth and bug spray, and wear comfortable walking shoes...there is a small climb up to two of the temples, but most definitely worth the climb! Would recommend visiting Chacchoben and doing it with Native Choice. A great tour!!:p

Great info. I was wondering what to bring for shoes.

This is one of the shorter "ruins" tours available. The van trip to the ruins might be a bit tiresome for your daughter, but you could bring coloring books, play "I spy...." and keep her entertained on the way there and back.

As for the ruins there are some pretty cool trees, birds, stuff like that -- not just buildings. You could have her play a game of finding shapes in the tree leaves/canopy, e.g., can you find a shape that's like a dog? a cloud? if she gets tired of the ruins per se. Have her keep track of how many birds she can spot. How many white ones, how many red ones..... stuff to keep her entertained. IMHO these are the most "doable" ruins with a 4 year old :) because the road trip is short, and the walking is overall very easy. Take a sun hat, sunscreen and bug spray for her, and extra water.

I am going to be booking with Native Choice for our Feb/2011 cruise and was debating between the Ruins and the Mayan Experience, which includes the Ruins and a visit to a home and lunch. Any suggestions or reviews? And if we only do the Ruins we will have extra time, is there much to do around the port? How far is the town?

This is one of the shorter "ruins" tours available. The van trip to the ruins might be a bit tiresome for your daughter, but you could bring coloring books, play "I spy...." and keep her entertained on the way there and back.

As for the ruins there are some pretty cool trees, birds, stuff like that -- not just buildings. You could have her play a game of finding shapes in the tree leaves/canopy, e.g., can you find a shape that's like a dog? a cloud? if she gets tired of the ruins per se. Have her keep track of how many birds she can spot. How many white ones, how many red ones..... stuff to keep her entertained. IMHO these are the most "doable" ruins with a 4 year old :) because the road trip is short, and the walking is overall very easy. Take a sun hat, sunscreen and bug spray for her, and extra water.

Thanks so much for your two cents, I greatly appreciate it!

you could bring coloring books, play "I spy...." and keep her entertained on the way there and back.

This made me laugh..... playing "I Spy" on the way to the ruins might be a bit interesting.... I can see it now....

"I spy with my little eye ABSOLUTELY NOTHING(it all looks the same for hundreds of miles) Heh!

or

" I spy with my little eye a man in military checkpoint with men holding M-16's and AK-47's. (yes...... seriously... about 10 miles outside of the port, you'll come up on a military checkpoint) Not to worry, they're friendly!(i think)

or

" I spy with my little eye the "pineapple people". Note: if you encounter the pineapple people, buy some pineapple with chili powder(yeah, I know... sounds weird) but tastes fantastic!!!!

I think our van held 9 incl. the driver and guide. One in driver seat, one in front pax seat, 2 sets of 2 pax and back row held 3 people.... I think.

Thanks! Sounds perfect! We have 6 in our group, but it would be okay to have others with our group. The smaller vehicle is still preferable.

Also, did the guide (or driver/guide) have a mic, so those in the back can hear? We did a tour once, van held 6 or 8, and the driver was the guide, no mic, and nearly impossible to hear. Didn't enjoy the tour.

Archived