No money for tipping?

Young-Cruiser

I am 14 and I am going on my first cruise in 2 days and I have no money for tipping. What should I do?

I assume you are going with an adult? It will be posted directly to your shipboard account.

Either that or you may have to mow some lawns or do some serious babysitting in the next couple of days!

I assume you are going with an adult? It will be posted directly to your shipboard account.

Either that or you may have to mow some lawns or do some serious babysitting in the next couple of days!

Who will you be cruising with? Who paid for your cruise? It is automatically charged. Maybe the adults in the cabin will pay it. If it is expected that you pay and absolutely can't...then you can have the tips removed at the pursers desk. Since you are a minor, maybe the adult would have to have them removed. Talk about it before you go, so you may not worry unneccessarily and be able to enjoy your cruise. Just be very appreciative and respectful to the staff.

My parents paid for the cruise. There are exactly 0 people within a 1 mile radius of my house that need ANY sevices done. Yes I checked. I will be in the cabin right across from my parents. I want to order room service but I would feel bad if the server came and gave us our food but left empty-handed . Are little gifts ok?

My parents paid for the cruise. There are exactly 0 people within a 1 mile radius of my house that need ANY sevices done. Yes I checked. I will be in the cabin right across from my parents. I want to order room service but I would feel bad if the server came and gave us our food but left empty-handed . Are little gifts ok?

What was the deal when the cruise was planned?

When my kids were 14, I paid for almost everything except, if they wanted room service they provided the tip. If the wanted to buy their friends gifts, then they provided the money.

If you don't have the money to tip someone, then don't ask them to provide the service. Want something to eat late at night, go pick it up and bring it back.

I thought you were talking about your daily tipping...Sorry! Since you are going with your parents, maybe you can talk to them and ask if there is something you can do to earn some money. I know if my children asked and were as concerned as you are, I couldn't tell them no. I think it is very mature of you to be so thoughtful.

Hi,

I'll probably get flamed for this but I have burn cream so here goes.

Don't worry about it, They are part of the tip pool from the daily service charge. We were on the Celebrity Summit this spring and had room service two or three times. The server never had any change and I was not about to tip them a twenty. I checked at the purser's desk about adding it to the seapass and they told me they are in the tip pool.

Just don't abuse it!

I will be providing my kids in a different cabin some singles for tipping room service. Did your parents tell you that they will not provide you with any spending/tipping money? If that is the case, then go to an eating venue and get your food there. Pizza and ice cream are available 24 hours on the Lido deck. IMO, I just don't think it's right not to tip room service.

Hi,

They are part of the tip pool from the daily service charge. We were on the Celebrity Summit this spring and had room service two or three times.

Just don't abuse it!

Not flamed just educated.

YOU were on Celebrity. OP is on CARNIVAL.. 2 different ships, 2 different companies, 2 different policies and procedures.

On Carnival, the room service people are NOT part of the tipping pool. Neither are the counselers at Camp Carnival.

Little gifts are NOT "ok". If indeed your post is for real..and your parents won't give you any cash for tips, the solution is easy:

Don't order room service. You're hungry? Go up to the buffet, grab a plate, fill it, return to your room. Eat.

Although I also sense a troll, in the case that it isn't- borrow $10 from your folks (in $1s) and promise to clean the house and weed the garden when you return. I assume you also won't be playing any video games while on board?

As others have suggested, the best option would be a quick trip to the Lido Deck for a snack.

Perhaps you'll figure out a way to put together a few dollars prior to your cruise. You're probably aware that the standard tip is a dollar per item ordered so it really wouldn't be that much...

:)

If your parents didn't budget for tips, then frankly, you shouldn't be cruising. The crew members who make your vacation a pleasant one depend on tips. Like it or not, that's the way the world works. If you don't intend to tip properly, then really, you should consider another vacation alternative, or consider a "staycation" at home.

I've noticed quite a few people suggesting for the op to just go get the food herself. What I haven't seen is anybody checking first about is - have parents said not to leave the cabin without permission, would op be walking around the ship by herself at night? Sorry, I guess it's just the mom coming out in me but I don't think I would be real comfortable about my 14 year old daughter running around on the ship by herself late at night.

To the op, if you explain to your parents about not wanting to cheat someone out of their deserved tip, maybe you can work something out where you can work for the money when they see that you are trying to be responsible about it. If nothing else, remind them you feel this way because of the positive way they have raised you. A little flattery never hurts.:D Best of luck on your cruise,

Sue

If your parents didn't budget for tips, then frankly, you shouldn't be cruising. The crew members who make your vacation a pleasant one depend on tips. Like it or not, that's the way the world works. If you don't intend to tip properly, then really, you should consider another vacation alternative, or consider a "staycation" at home.

good grief. maybe you and your nasty attitude need to consider a "staycation" at home. in case you are not aware, this is a 14 year old who is asking for advise. she, unlike some supposed adults here, does NOT have life experience. so please, show some manners.

as to the OP, negotiate with your parents and get started on some chores. have fun!!

Ask for an advance on your bday or xmas money. Or start doing chores. Btw, its pretty cool of you to ask about this. I would not roam the ship in search of food at 2am... just remind your mom you don't want to get lost or find your self with very drunk people. (To the posters suggesting a staycation, what is wrong with you?! Its a 14yr old, what is your problem?)

Room service is included in the cost of your fare for the cruise, tipping is optional. While it is good manners to do so it is NOT required. That said I would ask my folks for 5 or 10 bucks in singles and tip a buck a trip. If they are unable or unwilling to provide that, I really don't see a problem with you ordering and not tipping, it is their job to provide that service.

good grief. maybe you and your nasty attitude need to consider a "staycation" at home. in case you are not aware, this is a 14 year old who is asking for advise. she, unlike some supposed adults here, does NOT have life experience. so please, show some manners.

as to the OP, negotiate with your parents and get started on some chores. have fun!!

WELL SAID!

I took my 13 year old on a cruise and NO WAY was I going to let him decide how much to tip.

Beside the fact that I was the responsible carer for him, it was a family holiday and I DID NOT expect him to pay ANYTHING!!

Archived