No money for tipping?

Young-Cruiser

Explain the situation to your parents. Maybe they don't realize you should have $ to tip for room service. We always left $6 in singles in a drawer for our kids to use. They usually order room service once a cruise. ($2 tip) But they were always (and still are) in the same cabin as us. Who is in the cabin with you? If that person is younger maybe you could babysit them? Do you get allowance? Maybe you could bring a couple of bucks from that. Scrap up some change, get it changed into singles, and carry it with you. I also think that, if your parents can get 2 cabins, they can throw you $4 in singles for 2 room services that you may or may not even use! Talk to them nicely, and see what they say.

Don't order room service. You're hungry? Go up to the buffet, grab a plate, fill it, return to your room. Eat.

Well said. If you can't afford something... you don't get it. May be a new concept for some, but every person is not entitled to everything.

Not flamed just educated.

YOU were on Celebrity. OP is on CARNIVAL.. 2 different ships, 2 different companies, 2 different policies and procedures.

On Carnival, the room service people are NOT part of the tipping pool. Neither are the counselers at Camp Carnival.

Silly question but I have never traveled with kids. I am taking my nieces and nephew on a cruise this week and they will be in Camp Carnival most of the time. I was not aware of the tipping policy of Camp Carnival. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Is it every time I drop the off/pick them up? Is it at the end of the trip? It didn't even occur to me that they should be tipped. Thanks for the heads up!

Your question is still a little vague.

Do your parents know that you intend to use room service and that you will need some money(not much, maybe $5) to tip $2 each time you order?

Have you asked them for some tipping money for this purpose? What did they say?

If they won't give you money to tip, then no, you should not order room service.

To all those people saying that room service is included and that tipping is optional....really? If you look at it that way, then ALL of the ship's services are included in the price of your cruise and tipping should be optional? I don't think so. I look at tipping as part of the price of something. When I go out to dinner, if I expect to pay $50 for a meal, then I expect to leave $10 for a tip and therefore, expect to pay $60 for the cost of the meal. Same thing with room service.

I still think this post might be a bit trollish. Who takes their 14 year old on a cruise vacation and doesn't give them ANY money. What kind of 14 year old can't get their hands on at least some money($5 or $10) from allowances, birthdays, christmas, change, etc. Seems a bit far-fetched.

How long ago did you know about this cruise. That is when you should have started doing some chores/odd jobs to make some money, not days before you are ready to leave. Who else is in the cabin with you? A 14 year old should not be in a cabin alone. The adult with you may well have the money for tipping room service.

Silly question but I have never traveled with kids. I am taking my nieces and nephew on a cruise this week and they will be in Camp Carnival most of the time. I was not aware of the tipping policy of Camp Carnival. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Is it every time I drop the off/pick them up? Is it at the end of the trip? It didn't even occur to me that they should be tipped. Thanks for the heads up!

You would generally tip the Camp Carnival employees on the last night of the cruise. The amount would depend on how long the cruise was and how often the children used the camp. I think my sister who cruises with her 2 sons(5 and 8) usually tips the 2 counselors(1 for each age group) about $70 each for a 7 day cruise. She figures at $10 a day, it's still a bargain!

ask your parents for some spending money and tell them you'll pay them in the future, when you work

im sure they're not going to refuse you unless you'd likely to spend it on useless stuff ... and not tips

It is very questionable. I mean "little gifts"? Really?

Also, why doesnt this 14 yr old ask her parents this question? She has obviously took the trouble of looking for work within a 1 mile radius, but hasnt asked the parents for 5 bucks? Thats really all she needs. Sounds like a fake, especially with all these problem-kid threads going on.

I know I will get flamed, but when we used camp carnival for our older daughters, we tried to tip the counselors and were told that they do not accept tips due to the fact that they are paid a higher salary than the servers that are on Carnival's tip policy. This was about 5 years ago.

I have not seen any where in Carnival's literature that tips are customary for Camp Carnival Employees.

The last few cruises my youngest daughter took she spent very little time in the camps, therefore I did not tip them.

I also do not tip the cruise directors for providing entertainment services, nor the maitre D if the only time I see him is the last night of the cruise.

It is very questionable. I mean "little gifts"? Really?

Also, why doesnt this 14 yr old ask her parents this question? She has obviously took the trouble of looking for work within a 1 mile radius, but hasnt asked the parents for 5 bucks? Thats really all she needs. Sounds like a fake, especially with all these problem-kid threads going on.

I agree. Tips are part of the cost of a cruise - everyone knows that.

I find it hard to believe that parents could afford to pay for the cost of a cruise and cannot be asked to pay a few bucks more for tip money. That borders on ridiculous!

I find it hard to believe that parents could afford to pay for the cost of a cruise and cannot be asked to pay a few bucks more for tip money. That borders on ridiculous!

I agree. I mean, if you can afford 2 cabins (obviously 1 parent cabin and 1 children's cabin) you can probably afford to hand the kid some singles to keep in a drawer for room service tips.

If your parents didn't budget for tips, then frankly, you shouldn't be cruising. The crew members who make your vacation a pleasant one depend on tips. Like it or not, that's the way the world works. If you don't intend to tip properly, then really, you should consider another vacation alternative, or consider a "staycation" at home.

I hate this attitude about tipping. I just don't think it's really THAT big of a deal. I mean, come on people, think about what you're saying. Just because you don't have the money to throw at a crew member everytime you see them doesn't mean that you shouldn't go on a cruise.

Personally, my husband and I are on a VERY tight budget at the moment and are having to save every extra dollar to be able to afford a cruise this year, and I'm not going to have a "staycation" just because I can't afford to tip every crew member I come in contact with on my cruise.

I hate this attitude about tipping. I just don't think it's really THAT big of a deal. I mean, come on people, think about what you're saying. Just because you don't have the money to throw at a crew member everytime you see them doesn't mean that you shouldn't go on a cruise.

Personally, my husband and I are on a VERY tight budget at the moment and are having to save every extra dollar to be able to afford a cruise this year, and I'm not going to have a "staycation" just because I can't afford to tip every crew member I come in contact with on my cruise.

I don't toss money around like I'm Donald Trump either, but if/when money is as tight as you say I keep what money I do have in the bank in case of emergency and wait until circumstances improve. A cruise is a luxury not a must.

You are right Rebecca. HOw dare someone who lives off tips to expect to be paid for their job! :rolleyes:

Whatever, you can use all the sarcasm you want...that's just how I feel and I really don't think it's that big of a deal. But I don't have time to sit here and argue with people about it. It's called a personal opinion :)

Whatever, you can use all the sarcasm you want...that's just how I feel and I really don't think it's that big of a deal. But I don't have time to sit here and argue with people about it. It's called a personal opinion :)

I tend to agree with you. I will prepay my tips, tip for room service and tips are included in the price of beverages, but that is all the tips I'll be handing out, unless I request some other service that is out of the ordinary - which I cannot see happening. But, in the case of someone who really wants to go on a cruise but cannot afford all the tips, I certainly would not tell them not to go, but do the best they can. If it was really so important and such a big deal, why wouldn't the tips just be added onto the cruise fare? Seems like a pretty simple solution. But then I suppose everyone would be saying that the staff don't receive any tips so you MUST give more - such as the case with the Steakhouse even though on Carnival's website it states gratuity is included in the price.

I agree. Everyone is entitled to cruise whether they can afford to or not. Why stay home when you can enjoy a cruise and just stiff the staff? :rolleyes:

I assume you'l be paying the automatic gratuity and are talking about "extra" tipping? Correct? I don't see a problem with this at all. Just don't order room service. If you don't order room service you won't be obligated to tip the server(who IS NOT included in the tip pool btw).

Go to the lido deck, get some food, and bring it down to your cabin. Problem solved.

Personally, if I was on that tight of a budget...that I couldn't afford to give a server a buck or two, I wouldn't be cruising at all and saving my money. Just my opinion.

Of course you wouldn't think it was a big deal, you are not the one being stiffed. :rolleyes:

Tipping is NOT required it is recommended. It is a personal choice, gracious. I am not responsible for these people earning their wage. If I choose to tip then that is my choice. I do so based on my own opinion and there is no "proper".

That said I do tip for room service but have had times where I had no small bills. In that instance I did not feel guilty at all. I give my teenagers money for room service tips but feel that each person is free to make their own decision about tipping.

You cruise your way, I'll cruise mine. Rebecca, enjoy your cruise!

As far as the OP, yes it does feel weird about being a 14 year old boy...mmmm.

Wife and I have cruised at least 15 times including six or seven on Carnival and I don't think we have ever availed ourselves of room service. Having said that, this is the first time I have heard that room service "waiters" are not part of the tipping pool and need to be tipped with cash.

Learn something new everyday, it seems...

Archived