Dining exclusively in specialty restaurant ?

eddy67

I am curious to know if it is possible to dine in the specialty restaurants for your entire cruise.

For instance you are on a 7 day Caribbean cruise on FOS, could you book Chops on night 1, then Portofino on night 2 and then Chops on night 3, Portofino on night 4 and so on and so on.... You get the picture.

Has anyone ever actually done something like this ???

Cheers

I am curious to know if it is possible to dine in the specialty restaurants for your entire cruise.

For instance you are on a 7 day Caribbean cruise on FOS, could you book Chops on night 1, then Portofino on night 2 and then Chops on night 3, Portofino on night 4 and so on and so on.... You get the picture.

Cheers

They will never refuse your money.

:D

Cheers

Not only can it be done; we have done it on all our cruises since 2003!

Yes, it does cost a bit more each night, but I feel the difference in food quality and service is worth every dollar that I have spent.

Also, we can eat at whatever time works for us.

BILL

I have a friend that eats most of her meals in the specialty restaurants. If you can afford to do it and enjoy it, they will be glad to take your money. Just remember that sometimes there will be special events like the wine dinners or mystery dinners so make your reservations in advance if you absolutely want to avoid the main dining room.

We have definitely done all our dinners in the Specialty restaurants and will never look back. It's an incredible bargain ($30/person/6nights=only about $360) to go from over-crowded dining to personalized, gourmet dining with food made to order (instead of being made the night before and left under a hot light). Even the drinks are better. The table is usually by a window and you have privacy and intimacy with your family. Some ships don't have the speciality restaurants open on the first night of the cruise.

We've done the specialty only option on Carnival Valor and had absolutely spectacular meals and service.

We have definitely done all our dinners in the Specialty restaurants and will never look back. It's an incredible bargain ($30/person/6nights=only about $360) to go from over-crowded dining to personalized, gourmet dining with food made to order (instead of being made the night before and left under a hot light). Even the drinks are better. The table is usually by a window and you have privacy and intimacy with your family. Some ships don't have the speciality restaurants open on the first night of the cruise.

We've done the specialty only option on Carnival Valor and had absolutely spectacular meals and service.

Never noticed that, but maybe that's why the D+ coupon for buy one get one free in the speciality resturants is just valid for the first night;)

Never noticed that, but maybe that's why the D+ coupon for buy one get one free in the speciality resturants is just valid for the first night;)

I think it has more to do with the first night being quiet in the specialty restaurants.

We ate at Portofino on the AOS last year on the first night. We pretty much had the place to ourselves. Only other people there was one other table for two and a larger table with some ships officers/staff.

I think it has more to do with the first night being quiet in the specialty restaurants.

We ate at Portofino on the AOS last year on the first night. We pretty much had the place to ourselves. Only other people there was one other table for two and a larger table with some ships officers/staff.

In reading Brockwest's post, my feeling is that s/he is talking about another cruiseline.

RC has its specialty restaurants open every night, and until the Oasis, none cost more than $25. (Chops = $25 & Portofino = $20 pp)

Having toured the galley (kitchen) many times on many different Royal Caribbean ships, I can assure you that the food in the dining room is not made the night before. The cold appetizers and deserts are prepared during the afternoon and stored in fridges while the entrees are prepared during the dinner seating and are plated in front of your waiter when he comes to pick them up. Basically, the waiter puts in his/her orders into a computer and it immediately lets the chefs know how many of each entree to prepare. Then while you are eating your appetizers the chefs are preparing the entrees. When you finish your appetizers the waiter proceeds to the "line" and waits his turn. He then gives the chefs his order and each entree is plated in front of him/her. For example, when you order a steak done medium, it is plated right from the grill. It doesn't sit around like the steaks do in the buffet.

Not only can it be done; we have done it on all our cruises since 2003!

Yes, it does cost a bit more each night, but I feel the difference in food quality and service is worth every dollar that I have spent.

Also, we can eat at whatever time works for us.

BILL

I want to do this too but DH is against it. doesn't want to spend the extra cash. what happens about the tips for the dining room staff? do you still have to pay it or is it something you skip because you don't use it? or just tip as you use the services for breakfast and lunch?

...or just tip as you use the services for breakfast and lunch?

IMO, the tips should stay in place because even though you are not eating in the MDR for dinner those same waiers, assistant waiters, and head waiters will be taking care of things in the buffet and in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. On every cruise we've been on, we've always seen our wait team at another venue during the day. They work extremely hard; please don't "penalize" them because you choose not to dine in the MDR in the evening (not YOU specifically I mean, but everyone, myself included, in general).

Interesting thread, BTW.

Keep in mind that specialty dining "costs" in another way too: TIME. Specialty meals are considerably longer than meals in the MDR, and -- speaking only for myself and my husband -- we wouldn't enjoy a lengthy, drawn-out meal every single night.

Having toured the galley (kitchen) many times on many different Royal Caribbean ships, I can assure you that the food in the dining room is not made the night before.
That doesn't even make sense. Why would they make the dinners the night before . . . and then have to work around them during breakfast and lunch?

I want to do this too but DH is against it. doesn't want to spend the extra cash. what happens about the tips for the dining room staff? do you still have to pay it or is it something you skip because you don't use it? or just tip as you use the services for breakfast and lunch?

We eat every night in the Specialty restaurants. And we pre pay all our tips. On the first day we go straight to the main dining room where they are set up for people to talk to them about problems or switching tables. We tell them we will not need our table at all and to please use it for whoever. They are always so thankful that we informed them we will not be using the table. Everyone wins in this, plus whoever our waiter was will now get double tips.;)

Laura

JohnHenry on CC, no I was definitely talking about The Carnival Valor, Scarlett's Restaurant. I have some AWESOME photos from Scarlett's if I could only figure out how to download pictures here.

As for the pre-making of food, I've witnessed it at breakfast. I ordered Eggs Benedict, a meal that must be made right before consumption. I looked over and there were two gigantic trays of old Eggs Benedicts, pre-made, warming under red lamps.

If you think about it, it would be impossible to make-to-order that many dinners for that many diners at a 6PM seating than again in an 8PM seating.

As for the length of time it takes to eat in a Specialty Restaurant, that is completely up to the diner. You can tell them to bring the entree' immediately if you so choose. I personally like my steak straight from the oven. On the valor the sushi in the Speciality restaurant was awesome and the deserts devine. I gotta figure out the way to download the pictures.

We eat every night in the Specialty restaurants. And we pre pay all our tips. On the first day we go straight to the main dining room where they are set up for people to talk to them about problems or switching tables. We tell them we will not need our table at all and to please use it for whoever. They are always so thankful that we informed them we will not be using the table. Everyone wins in this, plus whoever our waiter was will now get double tips.;)

Laura

Good Morning: You will still need to pay your daily tip (prepaid or on seapas) whether or not you eat in the MDR for dinner. You will be eating breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc., in other places. Those tips also cover your room steward, other dining venues, etc.

They will cover the cost of the Specialty Restaurants and no additional tip is required. However, I have yet to see someone not leave an additional cash tip or put it on their seapass in those restaurants even though the extra tip is "optional".

Whatever your choice, enjoy your cruise!

Good Morning: You will still need to pay your daily tip (prepaid or on seapas) whether or not you eat in the MDR for dinner. You will be eating breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc., in other places. Those tips also cover your room steward, other dining venues, etc.

They will cover the cost of the Specialty Restaurants and no additional tip is required. However, I have yet to see someone not leave an additional cash tip or put it on their seapass in those restaurants even though the extra tip is "optional".

Whatever your choice, enjoy your cruise!

You must have misunderstood my post, I said that we always prepay our tips. Then we till the MDR that we will NOT be dining there so our waiters will get double tips. We always tip extra in the specialty Restaurants.

Laura

I am curious to know if it is possible to dine in the specialty restaurants for your entire cruise......Has anyone ever actually done something like this ???

On Oasis inaugural we only ate in MDR the first night. Had a couple of specialty rezzies prebooked and made others as the week went on. We did Chops twice, then once each at Giovanni's table, 150 Central Park, Izumi, and Chef's Table.

So.......for Allure, we anticipate doing similarly, thus we just switched to Any Time Dining; no point having MDR table assignment if we won't be there. Probbly won't do Chef's Table again, but planning on Chops, Giovanni's Table, 150 Central Park--maybe twice if there's an alternating menu, Solarium Bistro and Rita's Cantina. Maybe Izumi again, and we figure if we decide against any of these, we can always eat in the Any Time dining section of the MDR.

I fully respect those who prefer to stick with MDR each night rather than spend additional money, and I do like having assigned servers who get to know you, but we enjoy the variety and quality of food in the other places SO MUCH, that for us it is worth it. YMMV

JohnHenry on CC, no I was definitely talking about The Carnival Valor, Scarlett's Restaurant. I have some AWESOME photos from Scarlett's if I could only figure out how to download pictures here.

As for the pre-making of food, I've witnessed it at breakfast. I ordered Eggs Benedict, a meal that must be made right before consumption. I looked over and there were two gigantic trays of old Eggs Benedicts, pre-made, warming under red lamps.

If you think about it, it would be impossible to make-to-order that many dinners for that many diners at a 6PM seating than again in an 8PM seating.

As for the length of time it takes to eat in a Specialty Restaurant, that is completely up to the diner. You can tell them to bring the entree' immediately if you so choose. I personally like my steak straight from the oven. On the valor the sushi in the Speciality restaurant was awesome and the deserts devine. I gotta figure out the way to download the pictures.

That's what I said. You were NOT posting about the specialty restaurants on Royal Caribbean.

I will never understand someone posting on Cruise Board X about their experience on Cruise Line Y. It's just irrelevant.

Archived