Dining exclusively in specialty restaurant ?

eddy67

You must have misunderstood my post, I said that we always prepay our tips. Then we till the MDR that we will NOT be dining there so our waiters will get double tips. We always tip extra in the specialty Restaurants.

Laura

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I thought you asked if you prepay tips do you still have to eat in the regular dining room. No. You can eat anywhere you would like :-)

Enjoy!

I want to do this too but DH is against it. doesn't want to spend the extra cash. what happens about the tips for the dining room staff? do you still have to pay it or is it something you skip because you don't use it? or just tip as you use the services for breakfast and lunch?

We give up our dining room table the first day. We only eat in the specialty restaurants, the windjammer, or via room service.

BILL

I want to do this too but DH is against it. doesn't want to spend the extra cash. what happens about the tips for the dining room staff? do you still have to pay it or is it something you skip because you don't use it? or just tip as you use the services for breakfast and lunch?

If you're on a ship that allows you to tip w/ envelopes...You good as gold. You'll tip as you wish. If you're in a daily charge on the card situation, you can eat anywhere you want and the tips are covered, even specialties. You might want to do an additional tip there.

NCL automatically charges the card daily - $12. p/p

RCCI traditional time dining - you'll get envelopes. MY TIME DINING ~ Tips are prepaid before you go.

HAL - also envelopes as of this moment.

PRINCESS - I believe traditional is auto taken out daily - Not sure about Personal Choice Dining.

That about it.

Enjoy and have a great, safe cruise!

I agree with a previous poster that the time it takes in a specialty restaurant is too long for me to consider doing nightly, because there are so many more things to do on a ship than eat. Two nights is plenty for us...I don't want to miss anything! :)

My question would be why you want to spend so much extra when your basic cruise fare entitles to really good meals in the MDR?

Yes, you can usually get good meals in the MDR, however you get awesome meals in the specialty restaurants :)

For us it is worth the extra $$$.

###

My question would be why you want to spend so much extra when your basic cruise fare entitles to really good meals in the MDR?

For us the meals in the MDR are not that good, mass produced and then put under warming trays until served. That is not my idea of "good meals" but to each his own. The price of cruising has come down so much in the past 15 years that even if you eat in the specialty resturants every night, you will still be pay less than a cruise used to cost. On our recent Oasis cruise, we ate in the MDR only once and didn't step foot in the Windjammer.

Brockwest: Don't worry greater sins have been committed on CC.

You are right though..the meals are superb and the setting is always more intimate. We always are treated like royalty.

We have had excellent meals on Carnival and RCL both at the specialty restaurants.

If we ate every night at a specialty restaurant we would have to definitely change our eating habits for we find it more challenging not to eat too much at them for the food is so good and they bring you so much food.

Laura

We went to Chops 3x's on our last cruise and to Portofino once on the last cruise. It was an 8 day. I couldn't have done it any longer as I wanted to puke meat at that point and the menu isn't that varied to eat there so many times, but I like the idea of it.

On our last two Explorer holiday cruises (12 nights and 14 nights), one of the prominent posters on our roll call threads ate every night in Portofino except for one night each cruise.

He and his DW enjoyed all their meals.

We OTOH only eat in a specialty when we want to do the Murder Mystery Dinner.

Different Strokes. RIP Gary.

Having toured the galley (kitchen) many times on many different Royal Caribbean ships, I can assure you that the food in the dining room is not made the night before. The cold appetizers and deserts are prepared during the afternoon and stored in fridges while the entrees are prepared during the dinner seating and are plated in front of your waiter when he comes to pick them up. Basically, the waiter puts in his/her orders into a computer and it immediately lets the chefs know how many of each entree to prepare. Then while you are eating your appetizers the chefs are preparing the entrees. When you finish your appetizers the waiter proceeds to the "line" and waits his turn. He then gives the chefs his order and each entree is plated in front of him/her. For example, when you order a steak done medium, it is plated right from the grill. It doesn't sit around like the steaks do in the buffet.

I've also had quite a few galley tours, and although the food may not be made the night before, there is a lot of stuff that's prepared a couple of hours before dinner and then kept warm. I haven't ordered the tempura mahi mahi since I saw bowls of the stuff sitting out waiting for the 6 pm seating. At 4:00.:eek:

Good Morning: You will still need to pay your daily tip (prepaid or on seapas) whether or not you eat in the MDR for dinner. You will be eating breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc., in other places. Those tips also cover your room steward, other dining venues, etc.

They will cover the cost of the Specialty Restaurants and no additional tip is required. However, I have yet to see someone not leave an additional cash tip or put it on their seapass in those restaurants even though the extra tip is "optional".

Whatever your choice, enjoy your cruise!

You don't "need" to pay a daily tip to the MDR staff even if you eat in the MDR every night (although, assuming you get good service, it would be incredibly tacky not to do so). We used to go through the bother of prorating our tips based on how many nights we ate in the MDR vs the specialty restaurants. But now we opt for MTD and prepay our tips. We sometimes leave extra in the specialty restaurants, but not always.

I don't think the MDR meals are really good on most ships, just ok. And on many ships the experience is chaotic, not fine dining. In contrast, most specialty restaurants offer a calm, elegant experience with excellent fod.

And there's no need to gorge. Just eat what you want and enjoy the ambiance.:)

• 1 year later...

I'm glad I found this thread. My dh and I did this on our cruise last January. Although it was just 4 nights, we did 2 in Portofino and 2 in Chops.

We plan on doing this again in July on Oasis but there will be 8 of us, including our 2 children 13 and 18, who also enjoy going out for nice dinners.

We (I) will go to the MDR the first day and let them know we will not be attending all week.

I will schedule our dinners online before we leave.

I do plan on throwing in Seafood Shack and Johnny Rockets.

Saturday Night - Seafood Shack

Sunday Night - Izumi

Monday Night - Giovanni's Table

Tuesday Night - Johnny Rockets

Wednesday Night - Chops

Thursday Night

Friday Night

Can anyone please recommend two more restaurants. Should I include 150 Central Park?

Is that the last restaurnat I am missing?

Thank you all very much!!!

I am curious to know if it is possible to dine in the specialty restaurants for your entire cruise.

For instance you are on a 7 day Caribbean cruise on FOS, could you book Chops on night 1, then Portofino on night 2 and then Chops on night 3, Portofino on night 4 and so on and so on.... You get the picture.

Has anyone ever actually done something like this ???

Cheers

Edit to say that I did not realize that this thread was over a year old when I answered. :)

Easy answer. Yes.....................

We have cruised three times on the Allure this year and not once did we have dinner in the MDR. We booked specialty dining for six of the seven nights. It's a little harder on the smaller ships as they do not offer as many specialty dining choices. This is one reason that we love the Oasis class.:)

On FOS, I think it would get a little boring. How many alternatives are there for dinner? I think it's just two, isn't it? I talking about real, full service sit down places. Buffets don't count. Neither does room service. Though I suppose technically Johnny Rockets counts.

Edit to say that I did not realize that this thread was over a year old when I answered. :)

Easy answer. Yes.....................

We have cruised three times on the Allure this year and not once did we have dinner in the MDR. We booked specialty dining for six of the seven nights. It's a little harder on the smaller ships as they do not offer as many specialty dining choices. This is one reason that we love the Oasis class.:)

I didn't realize either when I asked my question.

Can you please let me know what restaurants I am missing from my above post?

Thanks sooo much! I greatly appreciate it.

When I'm at work tomororw, I'll look to see when I am where (Sea Day, Mexico, etc.) and plan my meals accordingly. For instance, I think I'll do Johnny Rockets on my Mexico Day since we always go to Nachi and will be full from drinks/food and won't want to be on a "schedule" that day.

Thanks so much!

I'm glad I found this thread. My dh and I did this on our cruise last January. Although it was just 4 nights, we did 2 in Portofino and 2 in Chops.

We plan on doing this again in July on Oasis but there will be 8 of us, including our 2 children 13 and 18, who also enjoy going out for nice dinners.

We (I) will go to the MDR the first day and let them know we will not be attending all week.

I will schedule our dinners online before we leave.

I do plan on throwing in Seafood Shack and Johnny Rockets.

Saturday Night - Seafood Shack

Sunday Night - Izumi

Monday Night - Giovanni's Table

Tuesday Night - Johnny Rockets

Wednesday Night - Chops

Thursday Night

Friday Night

Can anyone please recommend two more restaurants. Should I include 150 Central Park?

Is that the last restaurnat I am missing?

Thank you all very much!!!

I would definatley recommend 150 Central Park and also the Solarium Bistro...they transfrom it in the evenings into a wonderful venue for a light, healthier dinner.

Not sure if there are any age restrictions during certain times for Central Park and Chops...you may want to double check.

We also did the Chef's Table and I would highly recomend it.

The one place we didn't eat, but will try in May. is Vintages, the wine bar for tapas.

We didn't eat at Seafood shack and our least favourite venue was Izumi...we enjoyed all our other meals, and only ate in the MD once.

I would definatley recommend 150 Central Park and also the Solarium Bistro...they transfrom it in the evenings into a wonderful venue for a light, healthier dinner.

Not sure if there are any age restrictions during certain times for Central Park and Chops...you may want to double check.

We also did the Chef's Table and I would highly recomend it.

The one place we didn't eat, but will try in May. is Vintages, the wine bar for tapas.

We didn't eat at Seafood shack and our least favourite venue was Izumi...we enjoyed all our other meals, and only ate in the MD once.

Thank you very much.

I typed my ds is 13 but he will be 14. I thought the age was over 13 for the speciality restaurants but will double check.

I didn't think Bistro and Vintages gave you a real dinner. Do they serve dinners?

My 14 year old son and dh will want to eat a real meal (along with the rest of the extended family that is traveling).

Not sure I want to do Chefs Table but will do 150 Central Park. Is there a Portofino?

If not, I may have to double up.

Thanks so much!

Hi,

We did 5 Spec.

Giovanni: service 10+++ Hostess, server 10+++ ; great food, good variety

.... main course sauces are 'pre-salted' ... and leave a hot tongue . Ask

to get a "special (made now) sauce".... enjoyable atmosphere.

__________ _____________ ___________ ________

Chef's Table: service 10 Chef + crew 10; food 2 :9 . Presentation was

boring (same plate ..every course). many of the 16 who were seated at the

14 place table got cold for hot, well for rare, etc. Location (Allure) is on balcony above the concierge bar?? Cling/clang. --skip this one.

_________ _________________ ________ ___________

Ritas Cantina: service 10++ Hostess and crew 10++ good food + fun...

If you go to the fiesta (3 free Margaritas) they are pre made +very very sweet AND/but ... you can actually order ANY cocktail ... Black Label, beer etc.

________________ ______________ __________ ____

Chops: service 10+++, Host, hostess, waiter 10+++ like a good local steak house .. food 9 , atmosphere 9 ..

________________ ______________ _______________ _____

....................... and ......................

150 Central Park A 10 plus 10 plus 10 plus 10!!

Great service, great atmosphere, great food, presentation beyond 10 ...

this is the best on the ship .... we say a must do . A wine pairing is available but not required as in Chef's Table allowing anyone to make that

choice without a pre charge.

_____________________ ____________ ___________________

MDR : Enjoyed the "lobster night" ... was equal to the Hype on forum.

MDR is crowded, noisy and rushed (1st sitting) ... do 2nd, if you go.

________________ _____________ __________ _______________

BOOK ALL THE SHOWS + RESTAURANTS ASAP -- co-ordinate times between the two and try to allow at least 2-3 hours for the dining.

____________ _______________ ______________ ________

We are so envious ... wish I had been a plumber ... maybe we'd

get to ..... :)Seamo:)

Can you pre-book the special resturants for ten people? I have tried several times but it will not let me book it? I even tried several different times? Is it because of the number of people?

Maybe you have to call RCCL if you have 10 or more.

I may give them a call too I will only be booking for 8 but we will have 4 cabins.

Can anyone let me know can you do 4 cabins when booking for 8 people?

Thanks so much.

We have spent 21 days at sea so far with RCCL and haven eaten in the specialty restaurants all but two nights.

In retrospect Portofino’s, Chops, Giovanni’s Table, Chef's Table and the Solarium Grille dinners have been worth every penny. The only exceptions are listed below.

I do have to say that I would not do a wine dinner or Mystery Theater dinner again. Limited menu and painfully long.

On our upcoming 14 day TA I have 12 specialty dinners booked and we will do 2 nights in the Windjammer do to long excursions on those days.

So yes I am a believer in you get what you pay for. I prefer great service, and great food in a quiet atmosphere.

Thank you very much.

I typed my ds is 13 but he will be 14. I thought the age was over 13 for the speciality restaurants but will double check.

I didn't think Bistro and Vintages gave you a real dinner. Do they serve dinners?

My 14 year old son and dh will want to eat a real meal (along with the rest of the extended family that is traveling).

Not sure I want to do Chefs Table but will do 150 Central Park. Is there a Portofino?

If not, I may have to double up.

Thanks so much!

I know that Chops was very relaxed for Saturday night meals and allowed my younger nephew, 11 yrs, to eat there. I seem to think younger guests were welcomed before 6 p.m. on other nights. I may be wrong though.

Bistro was a good meal. lighter, but a full 3 course meal.

Vinatges I believe is al a carte tapas...you pay by the piece. We didnt get a chance to try it though so I am not 100% certain.

there isn't a portofinos on the Oasis.

150 CP is weel worth a visit!

I know that Chops was very relaxed for Saturday night meals and allowed my younger nephew, 11 yrs, to eat there. I seem to think younger guests were welcomed before 6 p.m. on other nights. I may be wrong though.

Bistro was a good meal. lighter, but a full 3 course meal.

Vinatges I believe is al a carte tapas...you pay by the piece. We didnt get a chance to try it though so I am not 100% certain.

there isn't a portofinos on the Oasis.

150 CP is weel worth a visit!

Thank you very much. I was at work today and not too busy so I was able to find on the rccl site all the restaurants and prices (I posted them on cc).

I then figured out where I want to go and when. For our family, it will come to about $700 extra. Our last cruise, although only 4 nights, we did Chops and Portofino twice each and it was wonderful not going in the MDR. We enjoyed our dinners.

My ds will be 14 and my dd will be 18 so they will both be allowed in the restaurants (and want to go).

I'll be doing:

Seafood Shack

Chops (Twice)

Johnny Rockets

Giovanni's Table

150 Central Park

One other place but I cannot remember the name (not Chef's Table and not Wine or the healthy one).

This thread blows my mind. Given the lunch meals eaten at restaurants on shore and so much food on board ,I am shocked so many would eat

all or most of their dinner meals at surcharge restaurants. In addition to the extra money, how "special" are these

specialty restaurants when you eat their every night. Besides ,I enjoyed eating with 1800 of my closest friends on the Mariner.:D

Archived