Can you bring wine on the ship when you first board?

slider9499

Cruise: NCL Jewel

Sailing Date: 9/4/10

Port: NYC

We live in NYC and want to know if we are allowed to bring wine on board the ship when we first board the ship on Sept 4? If so, how many bottles each are we allowed?

You pay a $15 fee per bottle, but yes you can bring them on board.

I've never heard of a limit, but maybe someone else can chime in on that..

Cruise: NCL Jewel

Sailing Date: 9/4/10

Port: NYC

We live in NYC and want to know if we are allowed to bring wine on board the ship when we first board the ship on Sept 4? If so, how many bottles each are we allowed?

$15 per bottle corkage fee when you get on board, you can bring as many as you want.

Nita

The fee goes by the size of the bottle. Each 750ml costs $15. The bigger the bottle, the bigger the fee. That being said, I've heard tell that they are inconsistent and sometimes only charge $15 no matter the size.

You're sure? Does this apply to champagne also? I've NEVER been on a cruise before and I chose ncl before I found out that others let you bring bottles on board...then I wasn't able to find anything about bring wine onboard ncl until now! Not that it's that big a deal, but it's a little bit of a relief to know that Saturday night I can drink my own wine on my balcony.

Been on two NCL's always $15 charge per bottle (750ml). Other posters have said they brought a case of wine on board at the $15 per bottle rate.

Come on over to our roll call we're having a meet and greet the second day of the cruise

Kathy

I just got this today directly from NCL:

Greetings,

Below please see Norwegian Cruise Lines liquor and wine policy.

Liquor Policy Guests are NOT allowed to bring their own liquor onboard our ships. Liquor that is brought onboard at embarkation or during the cruise will be held until the last night of the cruise.

Wine Policy

Guests are only allowed to bring bottle(s) of wine onboard NCL vessels for a corkage fee. When wine is brought onboard and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room/area, or in their stateroom corkage fees will apply according to bottle sizes noted below. This fee will be charged to the guest’s onboard account. Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard.

• Bottle is 750ml corkage = $15.00 USD
  • Liter Bottle is 1,000ml corkage = $20.00 USD
  • Magnum is 1,500ml corkage = $30.00 USD

Wines that are not featured on Norwegian Cruise Lines wine lists are subject to the corkage fee including wine sent directly to the ship by Travel Agents, friends, family, etc. from another retail source.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Lines

The fee goes by the size of the bottle. Each 750ml costs $15. The bigger the bottle, the bigger the fee. That being said, I've heard tell that they are inconsistent and sometimes only charge $15 no matter the size.

I have heard it goes according to size as well, but have yet to be charged for 1.5 bottles any differently than .750.

NIta

You're sure? Does this apply to champagne also? I've NEVER been on a cruise before and I chose ncl before I found out that others let you bring bottles on board...then I wasn't able to find anything about bring wine onboard ncl until now! Not that it's that big a deal, but it's a little bit of a relief to know that Saturday night I can drink my own wine on my balcony.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but no, read the other threads. They do not let you bring your booze on. Princess does, RCI does not allow this nor does Carnival. Or I don't think Carvnival does. They changed their policy in the past 6 months. Watch for Princess to do the same in the very near future. HAL also allows it, but they normally have much higher rates.

Now, let me ask, where did you hear the others allow you to bring wine on borad?

Nita

Greetings,

Liquor Policy Guests are NOT allowed to bring their own liquor onboard our ships. Liquor that is brought onboard at embarkation or during the cruise will be held until the last night of the cruise.

Wine Policy

Guests are only allowed to bring bottle(s) of wine onboard NCL vessels for a corkage fee. When wine is brought onboard and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room/area, or in their stateroom corkage fees will apply according to bottle sizes noted below. This fee will be charged to the guest’s onboard account. Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard.

Wines that are not featured on Norwegian Cruise Lines wine lists are subject to the corkage fee including wine sent directly to the ship by Travel Agents, friends, family, etc. from another retail source.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Lines

Thanks for psoting, I think it is important for everyone to read the last sentence closely: it says purchased your another retail source. Most agents use whatever NCL provides.

Nita

Carnival continues to permit one bottle of wine (includes champagne) per guest over the age of 18. If you bring it to dinner then a $10 corkage fee applies. On our last 10-day cruise on NCL Jewel we brought 10 bottles of wine, and yes did pay the $150 -- still far less for our choice of wine than offered on the ship. Question for recent cruisers: Is Le Terre still the "house" wine on NCL? Not listed on the wine menu, we always had to ask. Happy cruisin' to all . . .

Greetings,

Wine Policy

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Lines

Hmm....I just bought a box of Merlot to bring and was going to declare at check-in. Anyone been refused boarding with a box of wine?

Thanks for posting the info!

Wine you can? What about you own bottle of whiskey?

Whiskey is hard liquor. You cannot bring any hard liquor on board.

It will be confiscated and returned to you the last night of the cruise.

So to sum up:

Soda or bottled water - YES, you can bring those on board for NO charge.

Wine or Champagne - YES, you can bring those on board IF you pay the corkage fee. (regardless of where you plan to consume it.)

Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Scotch, and any other alcoholic Beverage: NO, you cannot bring those on board.

Hi! Our most recent cruise was Disney (of all people!) and we were able to bring beer and wine on board with no fees...also free soda and juice on board....Yikes! We did NCL 5 years ago to Alaska no problem with wine.....

I've heard of some "creative' ways to sneak alcohol on board....... how diligent are then in checking your luggage????

Let's not go there, ok? Do you know what rules mean? How dilgent? who knows, but if you do try and get caught kiss your boose goodbye.

Nita

Hi! Our most recent cruise was Disney (of all people!) and we were able to bring beer and wine on board with no fees...also free soda and juice on board....Yikes! We did NCL 5 years ago to Alaska no problem with wine.....

Things have changed in the past 5 years. As for Disney, yes, they do allow beer and wine, they also charge 1/3 to 1/2 more for the cruise. I am not knocking Disney, it is a great line, but that does explain the difference.

Nita

Thanks so much for the info! So I can just walk onboard and declare a case of champagne so long as I pay the fee per bottle, good to know.

But what's this about soda and water? You can bring soda and bottled water aboard? I read A LOT of reviews about ncl and just about every negative review said the "freestyle" cruising was just a ruse to nickle and dime you to death, but when they're letting you bring in your own drinks at a greatly discounted price...I just don't see it. Sure you have to carry it on, but really? Is it that big a deal? You have to pay for drinks anyway!

Yes, you can bring soda and water on. Though, as most have found, the water on board is just as good.

As to the nickel and dime thing. People tend to say that on many of the cruiselines. It gets overblown.

You can easily spend the week and not buy lots of stuff. Funny, these same people would go to a restaurant and expect to pay for soda, for fries, or for extra this, or for desert, or for speciality coffee. If you go to the movie and want popcorn, you have to pay. If you go to the church to play bingo, you have to pay. If you go to Sears and want your picture taken, you have to pay. If you go to the beach and want a drink, you have to pay. If you go to the spa, you have to pay.

Same on a cruise.

You can pre-order hard liqour by the bottle...I just sent myself a bottle of Bacardi Superior cost $70. I figure from the bottle I will get about 17 1.5 oz drinks which would be about $4 per drink...I'll be mixing with whatever daily juices they have at the buffet.....cheers.

I know Disney is more expensive....the year before we went on Carnival and we also brought wine for free. I truly believe if you bring a bottle or two of wine, they shouldn't charge if you drink in your cabin. If you drink in restaurant I totally agree that you should pay a corkage fee....If you go to a hotel and drink in your room it's always free...

Archived