Can you bring wine on the ship when you first board?

slider9499

Hi,

This will be our first cruise and want to bring a couple of bottles of wine onboard. We will be putting the wine in our checked luggage at the airport. What's the best way to have it declared at the port? Can I just carry them in my Built wine totes? And will they charge us there? Or will it just appear on the onboard account. This cruise stuff is so new and exciting to us. :D

Thanks for your responses in advance,

Jennifer

If you carry them on the ship, you will be charged right after you go through security. They will charge your onboard account $15 per bottle and put a little sticker on the bottle showing that the corkage fee has been paid. If you leave them in your luggage (and they detect the bottles), you will get called to the naughty room to claim your bags and pay the $15 per bottle charge at that time.

We got to the Sky around 11:45 a.m. last week and had six bottles of wine. The rooms were not ready until 2 p.m. We didn't want to lug them around so we kept in our luggage. Got the letter about 4:30 p.m. to come and claim our bags because alcohol had been detected. Went to the area where the bags where and told them that we had wine and wanted to pay the corkage. We opened up our bags, pulled the bottles out and then paid the fee.

I was wondering if you bring wine onboard but dont want it opened at dinner and just want to open it in your room would they allow .. do they keep it maybe when you board and wait till when? We normally just drink tea with dinner and would drink our wine before retiring the night... any help here.

When paying the $15 corkage fee per bottle, you are allowed to enjoy the wine anywhere on the ship including your room, restaurants, bars etc.

Thank you, JDVMD. I will just carrying them aboard and pay the corkage fee. I don't want them to delay bringing our luggage to the room. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

And how was your time on the Sky last week? We will be on the Sky tomorrow?

Hi Jennifer,

Had a great time on the Sky! We booked VERY last minute (Monday of last week) and boarded last Friday. The Sky was our fifth NCL cruise. We are also on the Epic on Oct. 2. If you have any questions, just let me know. It was definitely a party atmosphere but not the big drunken atmosphere I was expecting. A lot more families too but this was probably because it was a holiday weekend. The food and service were wonderful. No complaints.

That is not that unreasonable. Our local restaurants charge around $25, and they don't have to drag the stuff across the ocean.

I would prefer to pay less, but understand the situation.

My point was really that it might be better to pay a little extra for onboard wines. They really mark up the cheap stuff by a factor of 4. The more expensive wines tend to have less of a mark up.

Ken S

I just got this today directly from NCL:

Greetings,

Below please see Norwegian Cruise Lines liquor and wine policy.

Liquor Policy Guests are NOT allowed to bring their own liquor onboard our ships. Liquor that is brought onboard at embarkation or during the cruise will be held until the last night of the cruise.

Wine Policy

Guests are only allowed to bring bottle(s) of wine onboard NCL vessels for a corkage fee. When wine is brought onboard and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room/area, or in their stateroom corkage fees will apply according to bottle sizes noted below. This fee will be charged to the guest’s onboard account. Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard.

• Bottle is 750ml corkage = $15.00 USD
  • Liter Bottle is 1,000ml corkage = $20.00 USD
  • Magnum is 1,500ml corkage = $30.00 USD

Wines that are not featured on Norwegian Cruise Lines wine lists are subject to the corkage fee including wine sent directly to the ship by Travel Agents, friends, family, etc. from another retail source.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Lines

Just received my cruise booklet in the mail today for the Jade in November leaving Barcelona and it states" IMPORTANT NOTE: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board."

Can anybody weigh in.....there is nothing about a corkage fee in this booklet.

I just got this today directly from NCL:

Greetings,

Below please see Norwegian Cruise Lines liquor and wine policy.

Liquor Policy Guests are NOT allowed to bring their own liquor onboard our ships. Liquor that is brought onboard at embarkation or during the cruise will be held until the last night of the cruise.

Wine Policy

Guests are only allowed to bring bottle(s) of wine onboard NCL vessels for a corkage fee. When wine is brought onboard and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room/area, or in their stateroom corkage fees will apply according to bottle sizes noted below. This fee will be charged to the guest’s onboard account. Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard.

• Bottle is 750ml corkage = $15.00 USD
  • Liter Bottle is 1,000ml corkage = $20.00 USD
  • Magnum is 1,500ml corkage = $30.00 USD

Wines that are not featured on Norwegian Cruise Lines wine lists are subject to the corkage fee including wine sent directly to the ship by Travel Agents, friends, family, etc. from another retail source.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Lines

Just received my cruise booklet in the mail today for the Jade in November leaving Barcelona and it states" IMPORTANT NOTE: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board."

Can anybody weigh in.....there is nothing about a corkage fee in this booklet.

Unless things have changed in the last week or so, that means Hard liquor, not wine.

Nita

The sentence above is directly from Norwegians policy as posted above.

This can be interpreted to mean that as long as the wine is featured on the NCL wine list you can bring it aboard and enjoy it at your leisure. Free.

OK, I read the bottom line on the wine policy. Does this mean that if I get the wine list from NCL and bring a bottle of wine that IS on the list, there is no Corkage Fee?

It means that if you purchase the wine from NCL, there is no corkage fee. If you bring ANY wine on board, there is a corkage fee. It is a means of making money for them (selling alcohol). They are in business to make a profit....and alcohol sales are one of the ways that they do this

OK, I read the bottom line on the wine policy. Does this mean that if I get the wine list from NCL and bring a bottle of wine that IS on the list, there is no Corkage Fee?

You could easily read that into the policy if you want.

But, without a doubt, any wine you bring on board will be subject to the $15 corkage fee. The same fee that was posted above right from NCL, and the same fee that is repeated here every 3.8 days by seasoned travelers on NCL.

You could easily read that into the policy if you want.

But, without a doubt, any wine you bring on board will be subject to the $15 corkage fee. The same fee that was posted above right from NCL, and the same fee that is repeated here every 3.8 days by seasoned travelers on NCL.

yep, we always bring wine on board, never have they checked to see if it is a brand or type carried on the ship and always paid $15.00.

Nita

OK, you can take what you want for wine and champagne, our party had over a case of wine and champagne, the $15 was paid for each one and a sticker was placed on each bottle. Our group brought the case on one of those luggage carriers.

We had the wine in the room, and took some to dinner. The waiters DID look for that sticker.

We just got off Epic yesterday, so info is current. As for water, bring large bottle with you and fill from the restaurants.

If you bring any bottles of hard liquor, they will be "kept" for you until you pick them up on the last night of your cruise; ditto if you buy any on board or on the islands, they will be kept for you.

When you first go thru security, there is an "alcohol" station set up where your card is swiped and you are given the stickers to put on your bottles.

Linda

OK, you can take what you want for wine and champagne, our party had over a case of wine and champagne, the $15 was paid for each one and a sticker was placed on each bottle. Our group brought the case on one of those luggage carriers.

We had the wine in the room, and took some to dinner. The waiters DID look for that sticker.

We just got off Epic yesterday, so info is current. As for water, bring large bottle with you and fill from the restaurants.

If you bring any bottles of hard liquor, they will be "kept" for you until you pick them up on the last night of your cruise; ditto if you buy any on board or on the islands, they will be kept for you.

When you first go thru security, there is an "alcohol" station set up where your card is swiped and you are given the stickers to put on your bottles.

Linda

During our last cruise on the Sky over Labor Day weekend, our waiters at both Il Adagio as well as Le Bistro physically removed the corkage fee sticker.

I'm going to be on the Sky (October 8 - 11th). I figured I'd bring 2 bottles of wine but because I am flying in from Boston I need to put it in my checked luggage.

What is the best way to go about this? Last time (on Carnival) I went to a great extent of protecting the bottles for fear they would break during my flight. I put them in the very middle of my luggage, put them inside big 2 gallon zip lock bags, and wrapped them with our beach towels.

When I get to Miami, should I fish them out of my luggage and put them in my carry-on? Or just leave them in my checked luggage? (obviously it is easier for me to leave it in my checked luggage so I don't have to unpack and repack everything).

So what is the exact process for declaring the wine? Is it after you board the ship? Before hand?

*or is there an easier way to fly with wine??

During our last cruise on the Sky over Labor Day weekend, our waiters at both Il Adagio as well as Le Bistro physically removed the corkage fee sticker.

They probably do that so you can't take that sticker back to your cabin and put it on a different, 'un-stickered' i.e. smuggled bottle of wine.

They probably do that so you can't take that sticker back to your cabin and put it on a different, 'un-stickered' i.e. smuggled bottle of wine.

They took our sticker off too and I wondered why. My guess was that they didn't want other cruisers to see it and figure out they could have brought their own. :rolleyes: I never would have known it was an option and looked into it if I hadn't read about it on CC.

Archived