Help!!

nyja33

This may not be the proper place for my question and sorry if it's not, but I need a little help. Originally my family wanted to take a 4 day cruise on Majesty in July 2011. Since then, we've decided to do a 7 day in early November because my son will be out of school and it's cheaper. Now the question becomes finding something for everybody. We are looking at an Eastern on Ruby Princess going from Ft. Lauderdale to Princess Cays, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Grand Turk, or RC Freedom of the Seas going leaving out of Pt. Canaveral, going to Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman. The issue is making sure that my then 9 year old will have plenty to do for 7 days and where he will have more fun. I'm not familiar with either of the ships children's activities, so was hoping some of you more seasoned cruisers with young children could give me some insight.

Thanks so much!

Royal Carribbean is superior for kids. Their children's programs are hard to beat and more importantly, Freedom of the Seas has a ton of stuff onboard for kids to do like:

Flowrider

Rock Climbing wall

Ice skating rink

mini golf

sports court

waterpark

Freedom is also piloting the Dreamworks experience - what kid wouldn't like that? And there is also food directed to kids or the kid within, such as Johnny Rockets, a pizzaria and Ben and Jerry's. You son would be part of the Voyager's 9 - 11 tween group. I've actually seen these groups on board various RCCL ships - the kids are having such a great time! You can read more about it here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/home.do?#/?detail=550&wl=0

I have and she basically said that while both have good programs, Princess is geared more towards couple and RC more toward families with the better kids activities.

I guess it all depends on your family. My family has been traveling on Princess for many years and my kids always thought it was a great product and now my grandkids love Princess. No, Princess doesn't have the wall climbing etc but it does have an excellent kid's program. Check it out here:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/youth_teen/fun/index.html

I have never just dropped off my kids for the whole day. Mostly they were with us for shore days, went to the shows, loved going to Bingo, we ate dinner together, etc. They kid's program was a supplement to the family experience and was equaled out between family and private time for the kids.

I guess you have to ask yourself, is my 9 YO going to do all those activities? If yes, then RCL is the ship for you. If not, then I really think you should give equal consideration to Princess.

The issue is making sure that my then 9 year old will have plenty to do for 7 days and where he will have more fun.

If your concern is activities for your 9 year old, you will have a very hard time finding a ship with more activities than Freedom of the Seas. Up until the new Oasis was built, Freedom was the world's largest cruise ship.

I have been through the kids areas on Freedom - The Living Room, Fuel, arcade, etc. The area is huge. They even have their own nightclub.

Freedom of the Seas is a vacation destination all on it's own. Grand Cayman and Labadee have very child friendly things to do. It's been a number of years since we've been to Falmouth so I can't comment on that one. I'd go with Freedom for a family cruise, but would go on Princess if traveling as a couple.

The issue is making sure that my then 9 year old will have plenty to do for 7 days and where he will have more fun. I'm not familiar with either of the ships children's activities, so was hoping some of you more seasoned cruisers with young children could give me some insight.

Thanks so much!

Surely you jest.

I know RCI has lots of kids activities. Been there done it. They really went out of their way with the kids, even in the MDR.

Regardless your 9 YO will have an absolute blast on either ship.

If he doesn't, just chuck him overboard.:cool:

Regardless of the ports, if you want lots of kid friendly activities, Freedom will be great. Labadee has a water zone for kids, the ship itself has H20 Zone with water slides, sprinklers, mini golf, etc., their kids program is awesome and now they've partnered with Dreamworks (the ones who did Shrek) so a 7 year old will be in heaven on this ship. The adults will have hot tubs that extend over the ocean, lounges, a fabulous spa, the Promenade which is like a mall with shops, pubs. There's so much on the ship that at the end of 7 days you won't have had time to do everything. If they change Falmouth on the itinerary, they will most likely stop at another port in Jamaica.

Archived