Best Maui Snorkeling for Beginners

mikjr

We're cruising to Hawaii in November. We've only snorkeled once, and my son and his wife have never snorkeled. When we did snorkel it was off the beach

I read a few of the operators that do snorkel tours are "DEEP WATER" snorkel only.

Can someone give me an idea if there is any concern regarding the deep water part, or does any of the tour groups do off the beach snorkeling.

thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "deep water" snorkeling - do you mean deeper than you can stand? Most of the sites (I can't think of any that are contrary to this) for snorkelling from the tour boats are in waters 10-30 feet deep. they have many flotation devices for novices, including noodles and preservers.

frankly, once you get the hang of snorkeling it pretty much doesn't matter how deep the water is. May I suggest trying it in a local pool before you go? Just get your family familiar with the whole idea of wearing a mask and snorkel and looking down into the water while breathing. By all means use fins. there is zero shame in using a noodle or other flotation device, but even with those aides the experience will be far more enjoyable if your family members have some modest experience with using a mask and snorkel (and because of buoyancy it's easier to do it in the ocean than a fresh-water pool.)

re off-the-beach tours, I haven't heard of any. Why hire a tour guide when you can just walk in? the point of the snorkel expeditions includes the fun of the boat ride.

re off-the-beach tours, I haven't heard of any. Why hire a tour guide when you can just walk in? the point of the snorkel expeditions includes the fun of the boat ride.

we did some off beach snorkeling in Tahiti off the Motu islands, which was very nice. I can swim... but I'm a bit out of shape... if you know what I mean :D

One of the easiest shore entries to good snorkeling is Black Rock at Kaanapali. Another (when it's calm) is Kapalua Bay. I tried the somewhat famous "mile marker 14" snorkeling south of Lahaina and found it murky and TOO shallow - almost no room between the coral heads and the top of the water.

One of the nice things about snorkeling is you don't have to be in very good shape! (particularly if the water is calm). slow and steady wins the race.

Our first time snorkeling was with Captain Zodiac in Kona. We booked on our own (same exact tour that NCL offers but about $12/pp cheaper). It was INCREDIBLE! We had Capt. Colin and First Mate Kamalu(?). From the boat, we saw whales, dolphins and sharks. Snorkeling, we saw all kinds of pretty fish that I couldn't even begin to name. Colin and Kamalu make sure that everyone was comfortable with their gear and helped first-timers like us. A couple of elderly passengers on our tour didn't know how to swim, and Colin made sure they had flotation devices and were comfortable in the water. The water was probably 20-30 ft deep (guessing?), but parts of the coral were only a few feet below the water, and visibility was great. The boat was close by if anyone needed help or to take a break. It is a very secluded area (not near a populated beach) but there were probably a dozen boats snorkeling there.

Post-cruise, we stayed in Wailea (Maui) and snorkeled at Ulua Beach. It was our second time snorkeling. It was great - we saw two sea turtles and a manta ray! The beach is nice - very sandy and easy to walk on; it's also good for swimming if you have members of your party who don't want to snorkel. The reef is big and you don't have to go too far out to see fish. If you stay in Maui, it's a good choice for beginners.

Our first time snorkeling was with Captain Zodiac in Kona. We booked on our own (same exact tour that NCL offers but about $12/pp cheaper). It was INCREDIBLE! We had Capt. Colin and First Mate Kamalu(?). From the boat, we saw whales, dolphins and sharks. Snorkeling, we saw all kinds of pretty fish that I couldn't even begin to name. Colin and Kamalu make sure that everyone was comfortable with their gear and helped first-timers like us. A couple of elderly passengers on our tour didn't know how to swim, and Colin made sure they had flotation devices and were comfortable in the water. The water was probably 20-30 ft deep (guessing?), but parts of the coral were only a few feet below the water, and visibility was great. The boat was close by if anyone needed help or to take a break. It is a very secluded area (not near a populated beach) but there were probably a dozen boats snorkeling there.

Post-cruise, we stayed in Wailea (Maui) and snorkeled at Ulua Beach. It was our second time snorkeling. It was great - we saw two sea turtles and a manta ray! The beach is nice - very sandy and easy to walk on; it's also good for swimming if you have members of your party who don't want to snorkel. The reef is big and you don't have to go too far out to see fish. If you stay in Maui, it's a good choice for beginners.

I flew to Hawaii a couple of years ago and booked a snorkeling tour with Captain Zodiac in Kona. It was awesome and the fish and sea turtles were so amazing. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that you will naturally float, due to the salt water. In fact, you need to use a little bit of energy to dive down into the water. They do offer noodles or boards if you desire. They are excellent with showing the begginers what to do. They will also offer you a wet suit if you desire. However, unless you get cold really easy, don't bother, the water is warm. Make sure you take a water camera with you, even if it is just a cheap disposal camera.

Just a little word of caution, I have a bad back and the ride out and back can be a little rough. They love to show off the speed of the boat, my DH and kids absolutely loved it but my back wasn't too happy.

We went snorkeling in Maui and Kona, and I thought Kona was much better, as far as, more beautiful fish and far more sea turtles. On our way back to the dock with had over 30 spinner dolphins in our wake, it was so beautiful and entertaining. You won't regret booking with this company.

Although I am an experienced snorkeler, I much prefer shore snorkeling to boat snorkeling, as I still experience anxiety over jumping into that deep water for the first time. Maui has many wonderful spots for snorkeling from shore. We like two of the spots Sceptic has mentioned, Black Rock and Kapalua Bay, and also Napili Bay and Kahekili Beach Park. The problem with Black Rock can be finding parking, and even if you can find parking, the water can be crowded.

Because I have issues getting into boats from the water I avoid any tours with Zodiac in the name....also smaller (non-catamaran) sailboats. Be aware that while the larger catamarans usually have easy access the Zodiacs usually require that you are more agile than I!:eek: I say "usually" because I have not seen Captain Zodiac's ladder situation (if they even have one), but I am sure it would not be as easy as the catamaran access.

Although I am an experienced snorkeler, I much prefer shore snorkeling to boat snorkeling, as I still experience anxiety over jumping into that deep water for the first time. Maui has many wonderful spots for snorkeling from shore. We like two of the spots Sceptic has mentioned, Black Rock and Kapalua Bay, and also Napili Bay and Kahekili Beach Park. The problem with Black Rock can be finding parking, and even if you can find parking, the water can be crowded.

I second the recommendation for Kahekili, also called Old Airport Beach, Great snorkeling right off shore and the beach is not crowded. There is also a nice grass and picnic area.

I second the recommendation for Kahekili, also called Old Airport Beach, Great snorkeling right off shore and the beach is not crowded. There is also a nice grass and picnic area.

And, also nice shower facilities as well as generous parking. :)

• 2 weeks later...

this poster got it exactly right. Loved Kahekili Beach Park, lots of parking. Went to Napili, go early to find parking. Kapalua is a little smaller but has a more upscale vibe. There is some beach parking just past Whalers Village, keep your eyes open--it is a parking structure with 15 spots, convenient to Black Rock. We saw 3 turtles, one of them huge at Black Rock near the shore! Bring cereal--the fish will come to you. We also snorkeled at Honolua--rocky entry not for beginners.

this poster got it exactly right. Loved Kahekili Beach Park, lots of parking. Went to Napili, go early to find parking. Kapalua is a little smaller but has a more upscale vibe. There is some beach parking just past Whalers Village, keep your eyes open--it is a parking structure with 15 spots, convenient to Black Rock. We saw 3 turtles, one of them huge at Black Rock near the shore! Bring cereal--the fish will come to you. We also snorkeled at Honolua--rocky entry not for beginners.

Please, please do not do this. It is harmful to the fish because it is not their natural diet, it causes them health problems (and yes, that does matter), it causes them to stop foraging for food, and it brings them into places where they don't normally linger. I know people and even some excursion companies do this, but it is actually quite detrimental to the health of the fish and the entire reef system. Here's a link to a better explanation than I can give:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29218-c3550/Kauai:Hawaii:Things.To.Avoid.Doing.html

While I'm normally not a big Trip Advisor fan, this particular page is actually quite informative and accurate.

beachchick

A very good suggestion, especially in the waters of Hawaii, where the currents can change quickly. I never snorkel without one.

I have started wearing mine more often too. I have to confess for "quickie" snorkels in shallow water close to shore in protected areas that I don't usually wear it. For everything else, yes. My DH wears a lightweight wetsuit top (short sleeve) that he bought a decade ago. He's very cold sensitive and wears it for snorkeling in Hawaii year-round and pretty much everywhere except the warmest waters of the Caribbean. It has taken the place of his snorkel vest because it gives him bouyancy.

I think I'm going to get a protective swim top to wear under my vest because no matter how much sunscreen I apply, I still get too tan (as odd as that sounds). I was never a sun worshipper and couldn't stand just lying there on a towel frying, but I was a competitive swimmer and water baby. I got too many sunburns back in the days before we all knew how dangerous that was. My DH has already had two small skin cancers, so I've become a bit more cautious. Hence, the swim shirt, which will add sun protection and a tad more bouyancy...OTOH, my DH teases me sometimes that my "girl parts" provide a fair amount of bouyancy too.:p

beachchick

Please, please do not do this. It is harmful to the fish because it is not their natural diet, it causes them health problems (and yes, that does matter), it causes them to stop foraging for food, and it brings them into places where they don't normally linger. I know people and even some excursion companies do this, but it is actually quite detrimental to the health of the fish and the entire reef system. Here's a link to a better explanation than I can give:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29218-c3550/Kauai:Hawaii:Things.To.Avoid.Doing.html

While I'm normally not a big Trip Advisor fan, this particular page is actually quite informative and accurate.

beachchick

you will also defeat the purpose somewhat, because mainly the aggressive fish like the black and yellow-striped sergeant-majors will swarm around, and you will not see as much variety, like the shy but beautiful squirrel fish who hide in the crevasses. With constant feeding by humans, the natural distribution of fish can be permanently changed to favor the more aggressive.

Archived