current adapters for Santiago and Vina Del Mar.

lrn376

does anyone know if we need current adapters in Santiago and Vina Del Mar. Many thanks for any input. Having a "countdown".Getting excited. Lois

I am pretty sure that Chile is on a 220volt system. If you have a laptop or other modern device it may or may not have a transformer that will operate in a range from 120 to 220volt. Look on the transformer. The plug arrangement will be different even if you have a modern device that will accept both voltages and at the very least you will need an adapter to allow your electrical item to plug in. Most items like hairdryers will not operate and will quickly burn up. For those you need a currency converter, which is a transformer that will convert the voltage to the voltage of your device. If you value your device, using a converter is not a sure thing, and I have burnt up things even with the converter. I would definitely recommend buying a high quality converter.

jc

We just returned from the Valpariaso - Buenos Aires trip. We stayed two nights in Santiago. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, and there were hairdryers in the bathroom. I didn't chance my curling iron even though I took my adapter with me. I was afraid of blowing it out before the cruise. By the way, I could really recomend the Ritz in Santiago. It was absolutely fabulous.

Vicki

Archived