Problem with Porters

Cruisin 4 Ever

The first time I ever took a cruise I was soo excited. We had a bus from the airport. We had to wait for the bus driver to line up all of our luggage to take over to the terminal. SOme porters helped him get the luggage off the bus. We were fainlly let off the bus, I couldn't wait to grab my bags and get to the terminal!! We walked over to the luggage, grabbed our bags and headed toward the terminal. A porter started screaming at me like a maniac yelling "where's my tip" "I took your bag off the bus". He made a huge scene. That was when I learned that you are supposed to tip porters. I could have understood if he brought my bags from the bus to the terminal, and I had tipped the bus driver, but we brought the bags to the terminal - more like an airport, and they took them from there.

Why are they allowed to treat customers like that?

Anyone else had something similar happen?

It would never occur to me not to tip a bus driver who had to unload my luggage.

$1 or $2 a bag ... our bus driver went on and on about how bad his back was to gain sympathy which I personally didnt like ...asking for a tip as it were. It happens

His behavior was inexcusable. I do tip the porters, but I'll be danged if they are going to coerce me to do so. You should have gotten his name off of his name badge and reported him to the port authority-he works for them, not the cruise line.

The porters are union workers and do get a pretty good wage. Tipping is a nice way to show your appreciation, but by no means is it required and that guy certainly knows it.

American Airlines started trying to charge to check in curbside for your flight and people who were being asked for extra money to check in and give their bags to the porters, were not tipping.

Porters sued American Airlines to stop the charge and probably won ...havent read the outcome, but havent been charged lately that I remember to check in at the curb. Porters do think they are due money for handling your bags.

It would never occur to me not to tip a bus driver who had to unload my luggage.

$1 or $2 a bag ... our bus driver went on and on about how bad his back was to gain sympathy which I personally didnt like ...asking for a tip as it were. It happens

As I said, I did tip the bus driver. I simply didn't tip the porters standing there waiting to help people with their bags. He helped get the luggage off so thought all the guests should be tipping them as well.

As I said, I did tip the bus driver. I simply didn't tip the porters standing there waiting to help people with their bags. He helped get the luggage off so thought all the guests should be tipping them as well.

I don't think everyone that "touches" your bag should get a tip.

I would have tipped the bus driver IF he was loading and unloading luggage.

If passengers are basically loading and unloading the luggage themselves....with someone standing there "assisting just to get a tip"..then no...I would not have tipped.

My tip goes to the porters who have to lift that suitcase onto a dolly and take it to the bin.

I thought it was bad of our transfer/bus driver to give us this spiel about his back and ask for tips too. I know I walked away resenting giving him that tip.

I dont think anyone should ASK for tips.

Like it or not those people work for and expect to be tipped. It is not a bad idea to slip them at least $5. You will have a much better chance of seeing your Bags again (at your Stateroom). Think of it as cheap insurance.

Do not do what I did once. I gave the porter a $100 bill thinking it was a $10. He of course pocketed it with a big smile. (No I didn't realize what I had done until later) At least my baggage arrived right on time!

Like it or not those people work for and expect to be tipped. It is not a bad idea to slip them at least $5. You will have a much better chance of seeing your Bags again (at your Stateroom). Think of it as cheap insurance.

Do not do what I did once. I gave the porter a $100 bill thinking it was a $10. He of course pocketed it with a big smile. (No I didn't realize what I had done until later) At least my baggage arrived right on time!

LOL, that's funny.

I always tip, just never occurred to me I was supposed to tip in that instance. I havenoticed alot of the porters being really aggressive with people and think the port authority should put a stop to it.

I work at the airport driving a shuttle bus and the same thing happen to me but i looked at the bill and ran to the door and told the lady that she gave me the wrong bill and she said o no its yours keep it. It was the first for me but i felt good that i let her know she gave me a 100 dollar bill i dont think i would have been able to sleep if i didnt.I have had the same happen as a cashier a 100 was stuck to a 20 i ask the man if it was my tip and his eyes got big an said how you get that out of my wallet. ha ha

Stiffing a porter is not a good thing

Be at an airport or cruise terminal

I have never arrived for a cruise via a bus

So I don't understand who was demanding the tip seems the op still had to bring her bags to the terminal which I assume there were porters who Handel the bags. If that was the case I wouldn't tim them. Sounds like the scam they had years back in nyc

think the port authority should put a stop to it.
Yeah, like that's ever going to happen. :rolleyes:

The longshoremen's union can bring a port to it's knees and the port authority knows it.

We go to Las Vegas a lot so we tip everyone that does anything for us. That is the way it is there and do the same thing on cruises, excursions etc.

The guys taking your luggage work really hard and they deserve tips, I don't care how much they make.

We also tip extra for stewards, waiters and bartenders.

Yeah, like that's ever going to happen. :rolleyes:

The longshoremen's union can bring a port to it's knees and the port authority knows it.

Wasn't there a particular porter who was shaking down people for tips so obnoxiously that people on CC knew him by his number and began reporting him to the port authority? I was thinking this happened and that the Port Authority took care of it. Wrong?

I'm not disputing how much someone should get or if they work and deserve a tip. I'm saying the guy was running after me screaming like a maniac. If a waiter in a restaurant went screaming at someone running after them because they didn't like their tip they owuld be in trouble. It was rude and uncalled for. I tipped the bus driver who took my bag off the bus. It was a coach bus that I paid quite a bit in transfers for.

We arrived at the port on a charter bus. The porters unloaded all the luggage from under the bus BUT we weren't allowed off the bus until the driver handed them their tip (built into the price of the charter). Nothing like feeling like a hostage.

Yea, porters are the biggest bunch of A$$holes on the planet, because they thinl we as cruisers OWE them. Sure a tip is fine but they go on and on about everything. i tip a 20 cause i am nervous about how my luggage may NOt get to me.

Yea, porters are the biggest bunch of A$$holes on the planet, because they thinl we as cruisers OWE them. Sure a tip is fine but they go on and on about everything. i tip a 20 cause i am nervous about how my luggage may NOt get to me.

I tip anyone who helps me but, does nobody else thinks it's strange that we are all worried about losing our luggage if we don't tip porters? Shouldn't they just do their job right with or without a tip? I don't consider someone a hard worker if they would "lose" my luggage because they didn't receive a tip.

I tip anyone who helps me but, does nobody else thinks it's strange that we are all worried about losing our luggage if we don't tip porters? Shouldn't they just do their job right with or without a tip? I don't consider someone a hard worker if they would "lose" my luggage because they didn't receive a tip.

Give me a break. I dont mind tipping and excessive. But the porters throw it in your face about it. How much you should tip and OWE them...like they rae going out of their way. It's their jpb......

Read the agreement for the transfers (Carnival's) I'm fairly sure it says the cost of the transfer includs the driver's tip.

Archived