Problem with Porters

Cruisin 4 Ever

I really can't believe the amount of cheapness I've seen in this thread. I agree with not tipping a porter who didn't even handle your bag, but for all of you who don't tip just because(and your probably the ones with overstuffed bags that weigh 100lbs), are cheap. Own it and don't make excuses.

Yes. I agree 100%. It's amazing the lengths people will go to justify their own cheapness. I guess it's part of the me, me, me attitude I see all over the place.

Personally, I don't care if a porter makes a 7 figure salary. When I pull up to the port and a man opens my door, then unloads the heavy bags out of my back seat and trunk, that, in my opinion, is worthy of a tip. It baffles me people are actually researching their salaries. That's just sick.

Yes. I agree 100%. It's amazing the lengths people will go to justify their own cheapness. I guess it's part of the me, me, me attitude I see all over the place.

Personally, I don't care if a porter makes a 7 figure salary. When I pull up to the port and a man opens my door, then unloads the heavy bags out of my back seat and trunk, that, in my opinion, is worthy of a tip. It baffles me people are actually researching their salaries. That's just sick.

I also totally agree. If I don't want to lug around my luggage on my own and someone is there to offer assistance, than yes, I'm tipping them. I don't care how much they make! To research salaries b/c you don't want to tip and you want a reason to justify this is just plain wrong and CHEAP.

There are many waiters in the finer establishments of New Orleans(Galtoire's, Antoine's, Brennan's, etc) who make more than me(some make $80K+ a year)....does that mean when I have a fine meal at one of those restaurants that I don't tip? Of course not! I tip at least 20% for good service and I have never received anything less than stellar service at any of these establishments.

Maybe the cheapskates get bad/mediocre service b/c they're cheapskates? Anyone ever think of that?

I had many friends who worked in the service industry while we were in college. Federal law may say that the employer must make up the difference but I can attest to the fact that this is RARELY done. If you get stiffed by cheapskates all night and you make only like $10 for an 8 hour shift, then you're stuck with the $1+ an hour. It does no good to complain, the employer will let you go and hire someone else. No shortage of college kids to work as servers down here.

Also, many do not know that servers are made to pay taxes on a percentage of their earnings. The govt. assumes that the server is making at least 12%(it may have gone up, but I think that was the amount they were getting taxed on back when I was in school.)...so you eat a $60 meal and don't tip b/c it's not your job to supplement wages. Your server, who was great, has to pay $6+ for your meal!!!:eek:

I really can't believe the amount of cheapness I've seen in this thread. I agree with not tipping a porter who didn't even handle your bag, but for all of you who don't tip just because(and your probably the ones with overstuffed bags that weigh 100lbs), are cheap. Own it and don't make excuses.

Well, I can't comment on whether or not an employer follows the law, don't have first hand knowledge, but apparently waiting tables IS lucrative, since there is no shortage of willing applicants.

Why tip when service is bad, and it can be BAD, perhaps that's why you didn't get tips?

We ALL pay taxes, what's wrong with waiters paying them too?

You are making some pretty broad accusations about posters on here, who ever said they didn't tip for requested porter service?

I tip what I think is appropriate for the service I recieved. It is MY JUDGEMENT as it is MY MONEY I am giving them.

Last night I tipped $ 1.00 something for a 30 dollar bill. WHY ?, because it took over 20 mins to get someone to acknowledge we had sat down & take our drink orders & bring us a menu. Then took about another 20 mins before they took our order. Never once came back to refill our tea & soda glasses. Only reason we stayed as we were involved in a Poker Tourney at this restaurant. Normally they add 15% to checks, but I told them to remove it or else. LOUSY SERVICE = LOUSY or NO TIP at all.

Must not have been your first visit to this place! How nice to be remembered :)

\

We ALL pay taxes, what's wrong with waiters paying them too?

You are making some pretty broad accusations about posters on here, who ever said they didn't tip for requested porter service?

There is nothing wrong with waiters paying taxes....what is wrong is when the govt. bases their taxes on the assumption that the waiter is making at least 12% in tips on any bill. When a cheapskate doesn't tip, or tips 10% or less, that waiter is STILL paying taxes on an amount HIGHER than they actually made! In essence, the waiter is LOSING money on a cheapskate as some money will actually come out of their own pocket to cover those taxes. May not seem like much on a $10 bill, but when the bill is $100+, it can add up.

I'm not the only one making broad accusations....there are some pretty broad accusations against porters in this thread. Are there bad porters? Yes, just like there are bad waiters, bad accountants, bad teachers, etc.

I still say researching salaries to get out of tipping the

"over-paid, unskilled workers" is CHEAP IMO.

I don't know the wage a porter earns, but waitstaff typically earn about $2.35 an hour....you call that a salary? I really hope you don't eat out often if you're stiffing the waitstaff.

Minimum wage in British Columbia is 8 dollars an hour,, for waiters or anyone.. how can a modern western country pay $2:35 an hour to their staff. THAT is truly embarrassing. In Europe a decent minimum is set in most countries, so how how how have Americans accepted that as a fair wage.. I will never understand that. The going wage for teen sitters , the ones who eat your out of your house , and watch tv all night is hovering between 5-8 dollars an hour too,, and that is tax free as most 13 yrs old take cash under the table, LOL

$2:35 an hour. That is disgusting.

Why not just make them slaves??

I get that you guys feel the need to pay them good tips,, but why wouldn't you just support paying a decent wage instead?

I also totally agree. If I don't want to lug around my luggage on my own and someone is there to offer assistance, than yes, I'm tipping them. I don't care how much they make! To research salaries b/c you don't want to tip and you want a reason to justify this is just plain wrong and CHEAP.

There are many waiters in the finer establishments of New Orleans(Galtoire's, Antoine's, Brennan's, etc) who make more than me(some make $80K+ a year)....does that mean when I have a fine meal at one of those restaurants that I don't tip? Of course not! I tip at least 20% for good service and I have never received anything less than stellar service at any of these establishments.

Maybe the cheapskates get bad/mediocre service b/c they're cheapskates? Anyone ever think of that?

Or have you ever though you just like to brag about "never tipping less then 20%" perhaps you are just a big spender.

And how pray tell does a waiter KNOW their tip will only be a certain amount,, or do you tell your waiter you plan on tipping big for great service,, eww.

Minimum wage in British Columbia is 8 dollars an hour,, for waiters or anyone.. how can a modern western country pay $2:35 an hour to their staff. THAT is truly embarrassing. In Europe a decent minimum is set in most countries, so how how how have Americans accepted that as a fair wage.. I will never understand that. The going wage for teen sitters , the ones who eat your out of your house , and watch tv all night is hovering between 5-8 dollars an hour too,, and that is tax free as most 13 yrs old take cash under the table, LOL

I get that you guys feel the need to pay them good tips,, but why wouldn't you just support paying a decent wage instead?

It's a different system of compensation that waiters are more than happy to accept as it results in greater overall compensation than they would be if they were paid any "minimum wage" or as european waiters are paid. Some actually believe that it leads to good service or better service than you get under systems where compensation is not related to how well you do. Your slavery remark is, at best, naive.

There is nothing wrong with waiters paying taxes....what is wrong is when the govt. bases their taxes on the assumption that the waiter is making at least 12% in tips on any bill. When a cheapskate doesn't tip, or tips 10% or less, that waiter is STILL paying taxes on an amount HIGHER than they actually made! In essence, the waiter is LOSING money on a cheapskate as some money will actually come out of their own pocket to cover those taxes. May not seem like much on a $10 bill, but when the bill is $100+, it can add up.

I'm not the only one making broad accusations....there are some pretty broad accusations against porters in this thread. Are there bad porters? Yes, just like there are bad waiters, bad accountants, bad teachers, etc.

I still say researching salaries to get out of tipping the

"over-paid, unskilled workers" is CHEAP IMO.

So, the Law is that if you don't make enough in tips to equal minimum wage the employer must pay enough hourly to make up the difference, THAT law however, isn't followed?

But, the law that says employee pays taxes on tips that aren't paid, THAT law is followed?

Right, you don't believe that anymore than I do:rolleyes:

Yes, the minimum wage law is $7.25 hour and tipped positions earn much more than that.

The USA has a minimum wage law too, $7.25 an hour, educate yourself and look into it.

Frankly I could care less about how much a waiter, or a porter,or any other service provider is making. What I have a problem with is them expecting me to subsidized their wages, and then providing me with substandard service, and an attitude.

Or have you ever though you just like to brag about "never tipping less then 20%" perhaps you are just a big spender.

And how pray tell does a waiter KNOW their tip will only be a certain amount,, or do you tell your waiter you plan on tipping big for great service,, eww.

OMG!!! Tipping 20% does NOT make me a big spender. Tipping 18-20% is considered the norm nowadays.....unless, of coure, you're CHEAP!!! Just admit it...a 10% tip is CHEAP.

No, I don't tell the waiter I plan on tipping great....usually just cheap people do that. Ask any server some of the phrases they hate to hear and "I'll take care of you" or "I tip big" are the worst. 99% of the time, anyone who utters these words, is lucky to leave 10-15% and apparently they think THAT is a good tip....much like many on these boards.

I frequent many of the same restaurants in town so many servers may recognnize me. Also, believe it or not, many good servers can tell if you're going to be a good tipper or not by just looking at you(and I don't mean by how affluent you might look). It's like a 6th sense they have.

Bad tippers also tend to be the most demanding of guests. They expect to be treated like their a king or queen when they're at freaking Applebee's. This usually amounts to the, "well service was bad so I only tipped $1.00 on a $35.00 check"....unrealistic expectations and also b/c they're looking for any reason/excuse NOT to tip properly.

Disagree all you want, but I know I'm right.

Like it or not those people work for and expect to be tipped. It is not a bad idea to slip them at least $5. You will have a much better chance of seeing your Bags again (at your Stateroom). Think of it as cheap insurance.

Do not do what I did once. I gave the porter a $100 bill thinking it was a $10. He of course pocketed it with a big smile. (No I didn't realize what I had done until later) At least my baggage arrived right on time!

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when you need to tip to insure your luggage arrives and in one piece. They have a job and are paid to do that job. Tips should be appreciated but not required. Those, such as this gentleman, who believe they are required should be fired.

Spot on comment. I wanted to say that earlier, but left it out.

I posted the information about the porter's hourly rates due to the amount of misinformation in this thread. The porters are hired by the terminal operator to provide baggage handling services to the cruiseline's customers. They are all paid according to the ILA wage scale which is a minimum of $20/hour on the East and Gulf Coasts. The porters are not working for tips. They are being paid a rather reasonable wage for the work they are doing. It is up to the individual as to whether the service provided by the porters warrants a tip.

Many of the porters that I have come in contact with go out of their way to help and receive a generous tip. Some have stood at the curb and watched while I unloaded my baggage. After I had brought my bags to the luggage bins, they are there with a hand out. I just loaded the bags onto the bins myself. I will tip for good service but will not pay for extortion.

The porters are hired by the terminal operator to provide baggage handling services to the cruiseline's customers. They are all paid according to the ILA wage scale which is a minimum of $20/hour on the East and Gulf Coasts. The porters are not working for tips. They are being paid a rather reasonable wage for the work they are doing. It is up to the individual as to whether the service provided by the porters warrants a tip.

In enough cruises to be platinum on Carnival and some gemstone on the other guys I have only good experiences with the porters at cruise terminals.

ILA unions go on a seniority system for who get's that job, they get a hourly wage and tips. The numbers of hours they get in a week are far less than before. Also, they are not on a fixed salary, no hours equal no pay.

In addition I don't really miss the $10 bucks spent to get my luggage unloaded from the car, transferred to his cart and on the ship. They all have been extremely kind, polite and offered vacation well wishes.

I'm not foolish enough to know that this is all related to the fact I hand the money to them as I walk around the car. Shake the mans hand, thank him for helping you, give him something for his time from you, not from the stevedore company that has the contract with the city docks and watch what happens.

The actual dollars I spend here is less than one trip to the bar, a bingo card or whatever else I purchase aboard. It's akin to tips for one person per day at sea.

The next time we are treated poorly by porters at embarkation or debarkation that will be the first...

I wish I had the option to deliver my bags to where ever the porter takes them. Then and only then would I have the option to use a porter. At an airport I have the option to carry my own bags to check-in! I'm not forced to use any porter. At a hotel I have an option to use a porter! I'm not forced to use a porter. With cruising, if I have large bags I must use a porter (unlocked). If I'm being forced to use a service then it is my business if I want to tip or not.

Point well taken but could you imagine the zoo that would break out if they allowed people to take the luggage over to the docking station. A lot of people can't even check in without a hassle.

The USA has a minimum wage law too, $7.25 an hour, educate yourself and look into it.

Actually it has been the Americans have posted many times, and explained that minimum wage laws DIFFER for servers.Tax laws penalize them if they do not get at least 15% as they are taxed on it whether they recieve that much or not,, and employers do not "make it up to them" . That is why I always tip 15% at least in America unless serivice is pathetic,, which I don't think has ever happened. Educate yourself. You have obviously never been a server either,, hilarious.

OMG!!! Tipping 20% does NOT make me a big spender. Tipping 18-20% is considered the norm nowadays.....unless, of coure, you're CHEAP!!! Just admit it...a 10% tip is CHEAP.

No, I don't tell the waiter I plan on tipping great....usually just cheap people do that. Ask any server some of the phrases they hate to hear and "I'll take care of you" or "I tip big" are the worst. 99% of the time, anyone who utters these words, is lucky to leave 10-15% and apparently they think THAT is a good tip....much like many on these boards.

I frequent many of the same restaurants in town so many servers may recognnize me. Also, believe it or not, many good servers can tell if you're going to be a good tipper or not by just looking at you(and I don't mean by how affluent you might look). It's like a 6th sense they have.

Bad tippers also tend to be the most demanding of guests. They expect to be treated like their a king or queen when they're at freaking Applebee's. This usually amounts to the, "well service was bad so I only tipped $1.00 on a $35.00 check"....unrealistic expectations and also b/c they're looking for any reason/excuse NOT to tip properly.

Disagree all you want, but I know I'm right.

You are not right,, you have NEVER been a server. Since you claim they have a 6th sense,, ( geesh you must be kidding) then you can respect my 6th sense, I was a dining room superviser for several years in a four dimond resort in Victoria,, and I had started with serving. You are naive and btw ,,, most of us DO tip 15 % and of course more if service is very good, , not 10%,, so where did that come from,, its like people who say those who don't dress up on formal nights show up in flip flops and speedos. Exageration to make a point,, and false.

What I have a problem with is them expecting me to subsidized their wages, and then providing me with substandard service, and an attitude.

Based on what I have read in this thread, I have a feeling the attitude you receive has a lot to do with the attitude you give.

Actually it has been the Americans have posted many times, and explained that minimum wage laws DIFFER for servers.Tax laws penalize them if they do not get at least 15% as they are taxed on it whether they recieve that much or not,, and employers do not "make it up to them" . That is why I always tip 15% at least in America unless serivice is pathetic,, which I don't think has ever happened. Educate yourself. You have obviously never been a server either,, hilarious.

You are wrong, here's my proof, you got anything to back you up?

I had a van driver yell at me about where his tip was...I had tipped him quite generously, in my opinion, and offered not a cent more.

The behavior reminds me of a homeless person, who, when given a couple of dollars, starts to scream about how the giver a cheepskate for only giving 2 bills (or when given $5 screams they should have been given $10), although...the obvious difference is that these guys are working for a living.

Yeah...there are some travelers that inadvertently under tip...or purposely don't tip at all, but there are also porters and others, that know if they get a little aggressive with certain people, they might end up getting more.

I watched a documentary recently about employees working for a cruise line on the Yellow River in China. One was fired, because he was too aggressive in seeking tips, and a couple of passengers had complained about his behavior.

Cruiseline employees are much more regulated where this kind of thing is concerned, but porters, and private van or bus drivers...not so much.

Nope, too educated to be a server, BUT I do know the laws, and you are wrong on both counts.

Here's my proof, where is yours? Or do you rely on what someone told you on a message board? If that's the case it explains a lot!

Minimum Wage laws:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips.htm

Reporting tips for taxation purposes:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/industries/article/0,,id=98401,00.html

If you go to the Wage and Hour Division tab http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

you will see there are a few states where the minimum wage is LOWER then the Federal minumum. I live in one of those states. Additionally I am a former waitress and the CURRENT wage for servers in the great state of Georgia is a grand $2.13/hour. It's my understanding they require this amount to be paid TO the employee so they'll have something to take taxes out of.

And before anyone states "it's their choice to do this job" let me say, if your a student this may be the only job that allows the flexibility in hours to go to school.

Archived