Problem with Porters

Cruisin 4 Ever

Mr. Haynes...no matter what yours has been my rule of thumb..so 2 bucks each in NYC thanks;..to each soul that touches it..lets hope only three each way..cab or bus, longshoreman, and finally the porter to ship..Correct???....And if the bag guy is seen in your room???

I must admit this will be the most steps and inbetweens just due to way ship will be approached and help I will have..unless I pay for some bag deal..from other times and situations..sjn.

I travel a lot as a salesman... I have seen some ugly scenes with porters at airports and hotel lobbies with poor tippers... Up to the point their luggage gets lost, thrown into a fountain, etc. Its worth your peace of mind to tip a dollar for each bag that is lifted, $2 in New York City...

It is true longshoremen are paid well, but they have hospital bills and kids attending college as well. Many can use the small tips as those dollars add up...

What you describe seems heinous to me. So , paid employes feel that they can destroy their customers private property, or basically steal it( by purposefully "losing it") and as a people we are saying that they are justified,, because the tips are not high enough. I am not saying 2 dollars IS too high, I am just saying that they have decided what they deserve as "extra" and it that is not met, they can commit crimes and its ok.. You can argue that they feel their "wages" are not high enough( including the tips as part of wage) but the reality is, in any job, if wages are not high enough you do have several legal options.

You can quit, or you can band together and demand a decent wage from your EMPLOYER( I think they call that forming a union)

Many people work in low paying jobs,, but the hotel maid does not have the right to lose or destroy your stuff if you don't tip well, the waiter does not have the right to tamper with your food, and the valet does not have the right to damage your car.

The more I hear , the more I understand and apprieciate the non tipping cultures better. Pay the person a set wage, a decent wage,,( but that doesn't mean a great one,), that is reserved for those who have taken extra time and effort to upgrade their skills or abilities with education or hard work and experience. Tips for nice service,, tips as bonus,, but not this sense of ENTITLEMENT that I keep hearing about.. its starts to sound almost like crimminal behaviour. I personally have never seen this type of attitude when I worked in the service industry. I will say I worked in a place where the servers were in a union, and got paid more then minimum,, so most were happy to be there and gave good service to keep their jobs. Tips were the icing on the cake. Everyone gave tips, but no one expected more then 15% and were happy if they got more( which they did often) .

We go to Las Vegas a lot so we tip everyone that does anything for us. That is the way it is there and do the same thing on cruises, excursions etc.

The guys taking your luggage work really hard and they deserve tips, I don't care how much they make.

We also tip extra for stewards, waiters and bartenders.

So do you tip the guys that actually bring the luggage to your room on the ship, and then pick it up and take it to the off loading area? they are the one that is really working, moving it around and all, maybe you should stand around and wait for them, or tape a 5 to each bag, just to thank them.

No people don't tip them, but they will tip the porter for moving the bag 15 feet to the curb and putting you in line for a cab, then you tip the cab for picking up the bag and putting it in the trunk.

just does not seam fair.

You have to have a pleasant personality to work with the public,, especially in a service postion.

It would be very difficult, if not impossible for some people, their people skills are just too low, their arrrogance too high, and their patience and compassion often non existant.

I disagree, there are many in the service industry that don't have those qualifications, hence the subject of this thread and the cries of untiped waiters it contains.

You have to have a pleasant personality to work with the public,, especially in a service postion.

It would be very difficult, if not impossible for some people, their people skills are just too low, their arrrogance too high, and their patience and compassion often non existant.

Great post!

We always tip the usual people, even porters. However, I never realized how many people think tipping is mandatory. I think the porter who yelled probably doesn't realize that he's the one who should be embarrassed. Others were probably thinking, "what a jerk!"

So do you tip the guys that actually bring the luggage to your room on the ship, and then pick it up and take it to the off loading area? they are the one that is really working, moving it around and all, maybe you should stand around and wait for them, or tape a 5 to each bag, just to thank them.

No people don't tip them, but they will tip the porter for moving the bag 15 feet to the curb and putting you in line for a cab, then you tip the cab for picking up the bag and putting it in the trunk.

just does not seam fair.

Since it is primarily the room steward crew that moves the luggage, yes we do tip them.

just does not seam fair.

Good post

Since it is primarily the room steward crew that moves the luggage, yes we do tip them.

Are you sure it is the room steward crew moving the luggage?

My impression and maybe I am wrong, is they work their tails off in the morning getting ready for new passengers and have most of the afternoon off.

Hi Dan Just because of bus transport an luggage w/gatuity plans or arriving with my cruise friend and her car officiando..I'm seriously confused with this damn thread..help me out here...Likely places needed to tip for bags in NYC..Hal to Bermuda.

1. Hotel porter to Cab or car. 2 per bag..1 for dinky purse carreyon..I hold my money and hug the bod purse.

2. Car driver empties bag to Port. 2 for only bag he carries.

3.1st porter longshoreman 2 for only bag he takes

4. Steward when you see him.. who sclhepped it to the door of your cabin;

2 bucks plus one if you later sent the dinky pursy carrey-on not the relax the back purse backpack that never leaves the bod. This establishing yourself as neither a cheapskate...or an a snob saying prepare to kiss my feet...

Do I have this right..have I missed any cogs in the wheel..

You have 400 dAYS TO ANSWER:p:D.

Where i'M SCREWED up reading here is between ALL THESE SEEMINGLY DIFFERRENT porters to the ship...Long Beach it was clear...thanks..sjn.

I believe tipping should be a reflection of the level of service received, period. If I go to dinner and the waiter is polite, friendly, and does his job? 15%-20%. If they go above and beyond? I have no problem tipping 30%+. But I'm really getting sick and tired of the expectation that I'm required to tip. By definition, gratuity is "given without claim or obligation."

If a porter actually does me a service and does it with a good attitude, sure, I'll tip. But if he's rude and rips my bags out of my hands (which has happened), why would I tip? The fact that someone has chosen a job that relies on tips (not that I believe porters do) does not give me an obligation to tip them. Period. If I'm in school and am a waitress because it gives me the flexibility to attend class, that is a choice. If I'm a waitress because I can't find any other job, then that sucks, and I'm sorry. But not everyone can make the big bucks. We have a capitalist society which means some people are doctors and some people are janitors, and they will get paid accordingly. There is nothing wrong with either of those jobs.

Finally- those pay rates that were posted for porters? I made less than that in my first job out of grad school with a masters degree in economics. Nobody was supplementing my income with tips.

Hi Dan Just because of bus transport an luggage w/gatuity plans or arriving with my cruise friend and her car officiando..I'm seriously confused with this damn thread..help me out here...Likely places needed to tip for bags in NYC..Hal to Bermuda.

1. Hotel porter to Cab or car. 2 per bag..1 for dinky purse carreyon..I hold my money and hug the bod purse.

You tip the hotel porter for the bags he handles for you, not for bags you're carrying..

2. Car driver empties bag to Port. 2 for only bag he carries.

You tip the car driver or taxi driver for the ride.

3.1st porter longshoreman 2 for only bag he takes

And you tip the dock porter for taking the luggage off your hands.

4. Steward when you see him.. who sclhepped it to the door of your cabin;

2 bucks plus one if you later sent the dinky pursy carrey-on not the relax the back purse backpack that never leaves the bod. This establishing yourself as neither a cheapskate...or an a snob saying prepare to kiss my feet...

You are tipping the room steward $3.50 pppd each day of the cruise. Besides delivering the luggage and removing it on the last evening, if there are 2 of you, you are tipping him $49.00 for the luggage and for cleaning your bathroom and making your bed

Do I have this right..have I missed any cogs in the wheel..

You have 400 dAYS TO ANSWER:p:D.

Where i'M SCREWED up reading here is between ALL THESE SEEMINGLY DIFFERRENT porters to the ship...Long Beach it was clear...thanks..sjn.

My tip procedure is simple. If a person makes life easier for me, they get a little reward for doing so. I don't care if they are wearing a 24k solid gold suit and own downtown Dallas. Mostly I will NOT notice what they are wearing or what their name is or where they are from.

NY is a special case. Way back in the late 60's I was exhibiting at a trade show in a NY hotel. The hotel had an opening on the second floor with a crane lift to get displays into the showroom. All I had to do was get my piece of equipment off MY truck, and across the sidewalk to the lift. I could have done it by myself in approx. 1.5 minutes. But in NY, I had to pay[not tip] the guys that moved it from the street to the curb, the guys that took it across the sidewalk [10-12 feet] and the guys loading the lift, and the guys operating the lift. $ NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS.

My tip procedure is simple. If a person makes life easier for me, they get a little reward for doing so. I don't care if they are wearing a 24k solid gold suit and own downtown Dallas. Mostly I will NOT notice what they are wearing or what their name is or where they are from.

NY is a special case. Way back in the late 60's I was exhibiting at a trade show in a NY hotel. The hotel had an opening on the second floor with a crane lift to get displays into the showroom. All I had to do was get my piece of equipment off MY truck, and across the sidewalk to the lift. I could have done it by myself in approx. 1.5 minutes. But in NY, I had to pay[not tip] the guys that moved it from the street to the curb, the guys that took it across the sidewalk [10-12 feet] and the guys loading the lift, and the guys operating the lift. $ NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS.

Thanks so much Dan..sympatico on this one and and I needed the help. sjn

Ubeleivable yet very par for the course on life with the cranes people...

Lots of weird extortion stories here with access greivances and who can do it and how; partial percentage mineral and water rights etc..exploratory mining or drilling etc...good story..wow!!!

I believe tipping should be a reflection of the level of service received, period. If I go to dinner and the waiter is polite, friendly, and does his job? 15%-20%. If they go above and beyond? I have no problem tipping 30%+. But I'm really getting sick and tired of the expectation that I'm required to tip. By definition, gratuity is "given without claim or obligation."

If a porter actually does me a service and does it with a good attitude, sure, I'll tip. But if he's rude and rips my bags out of my hands (which has happened), why would I tip? The fact that someone has chosen a job that relies on tips (not that I believe porters do) does not give me an obligation to tip them. Period. If I'm in school and am a waitress because it gives me the flexibility to attend class, that is a choice. If I'm a waitress because I can't find any other job, then that sucks, and I'm sorry. But not everyone can make the big bucks. We have a capitalist society which means some people are doctors and some people are janitors, and they will get paid accordingly. There is nothing wrong with either of those jobs.

Finally- those pay rates that were posted for porters? I made less than that in my first job out of grad school with a masters degree in economics. Nobody was supplementing my income with tips.

A voice of reason cries from the darkness...

Archived