Problem with Porters

Cruisin 4 Ever

We have all heard the horror stories of bags getting lost for lack of tips ... Im not taking chances lol

Have never, and will never, tip a porter at a seaport, and have never lost a bag. These are WELL paid union workers, and it clearly says on signage at the port that tipping is not required.

Like it or not those people work for and expect to be tipped. It is not a bad idea to slip them at least $5. You will have a much better chance of seeing your Bags again (at your Stateroom). Think of it as cheap insurance.

Do not do what I did once. I gave the porter a $100 bill thinking it was a $10. He of course pocketed it with a big smile. (No I didn't realize what I had done until later) At least my baggage arrived right on time!

How in the world would the porters know which bag belongs to who?? Just get off the bus (if you use the transfers, as we usually do) and head for the terminal.

Wow all i can say, Ok these porters work for tips and giving them a few bucks aint going to hurt you, And people wonder why somtimes there bags get lost. Just an idea tip the porters they do help before and after the trip.

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. They are members of the Longshoremen's union, and very well paid.

How in the world would the porters know which bag belongs to who?? Just get off the bus (if you use the transfers, as we usually do) and head for the terminal.

Not speaking of getting of the bus.....sure they would know. After all if the driver and the porter have a thing going....NAW that never happens where people grease each others palms.....POLITICS

Not speaking of getting of the bus.....sure they would know. After all if the driver and the porter have a thing going....NAW that never happens where people grease each others palms.....POLITICS

Just saying that unless you identify your bags, and your name to the driver or porter, the chances of them knowing which bags are yous are next to nothing.

As I said, I did tip the bus driver. I simply didn't tip the porters standing there waiting to help people with their bags. He helped get the luggage off so thought all the guests should be tipping them as well.

He could yell all he wanted. I wouldn't have tipped TWO people for doing the same thing...

On three different occasions we arrived at the port on tour buses. We were told by the people in charge of our group (a radio station) not to worry about tipping the porters for our checked luggage. They (radio station) would take care of it for all of us and when we walked off the bus every porter around our bus all greeted us with a smile and told us to have a great cruise. Not one of them had their hand out for a tip.

Wasn't there a particular porter who was shaking down people for tips so obnoxiously that people on CC knew him by his number and began reporting him to the port authority? I was thinking this happened and that the Port Authority took care of it. Wrong?

Here is the thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805973&highlight=paul+medik

We have all heard the horror stories of bags getting lost for lack of tips ... Im not taking chances lol

That's exactly why these people work in a dead-end job having to perform these menial services for other people. Attitudes like that prevent you from going anywhere in life and they will be stuck in this cycle forever.

Hopefully they enjoy it.

I tip anyone who helps me but, does nobody else thinks it's strange that we are all worried about losing our luggage if we don't tip porters? Shouldn't they just do their job right with or without a tip? I don't consider someone a hard worker if they would "lose" my luggage because they didn't receive a tip.

This. If their attitude was like that (do the job like you're supposed to no matter what), they wouldn't be carrying luggage.

Have never, and will never, tip a porter at a seaport, and have never lost a bag. These are WELL paid union workers, and it clearly says on signage at the port that tipping is not required.

I've also never tipped one, but I've only been on two cruises. We carried on almost all of our luggage, as we got there when the rooms were open.

I tip anyone who helps me but, does nobody else thinks it's strange that we are all worried about losing our luggage if we don't tip porters? Shouldn't they just do their job right with or without a tip? I don't consider someone a hard worker if they would "lose" my luggage because they didn't receive a tip.

Agreed. If you are fearful or suspicious of an employee, ANY employee, report them to management. You are on vacation, you should not have to worry that they will do something to your bag because you didn't tip them, or didn't tip then enough. That is absolutely ridiculous. Tipping out of fear is rewarding bad behavior.

And that means it isn't a tip, but rather, extortion!:eek:

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. I hope all of your bags are treated with respect, because you deserve it.

Just saying that unless you identify your bags, and your name to the driver or porter, the chances of them knowing which bags are yous are next to nothing.

This situation was different. Never had it work like this before. They took the bags off the bus. The bus driver said we could go get our bags. Porters were standing around, we were 100 feet or so away from the terminal. We grabbed our own bags from the line and walked them over to the terminal. That's how he knew it was our bag, because we went and got it out of the line as we were instructed to do. We tipped the bus driver but one of the porters standing there said he helped the driver get the bags off the bus, and that's why he was screaming at us. He was standing in front of the luggage, as though we had to pay him to get it. I didn't get it at the time, had never been on a cruise and didn't normally deal with porters. I just walked past him, selected my bag and walked away. This is when he started screaming at me.

I didn't, but there must have been 100 people staring, It was very embarrassing, and shocking. It wasn't a very nice welcoming to our cruise

I assume you are saying that you did not tip the first guy. Good for you! If he was the porter that took my luggage to the bin, then I always tip them. But all this guy did was move your bag about what, 5 - 10 feet? I guess that may have been worth 50 cents.

I have never had a problem with the porters. Just treat them as I would like to be treated. I think you did the right thing by walking away.

Dave

If tipping were required, it wouldn't be called a tip. It's convenient to come up with excuses to be cheap and stiff them too. I guess it's good that there are those who overtip to make up for the cheapskates.

You are wrong. This is not the case in Miami. I know this because my BIL is a porter there. His shift is 5 hours long, 4 days a week. I don't know what your definition of "well paid" is, but he has to carry 3 jobs just to make ends meet, and he does not live in a well-to-do community. When you stiff these guys, you are depriving them of much needed income.

Here you are going on a cruise vacation, and you can't spare a couple bucks to the person handling your bags? That's sad.

Do me a favor - get to the port early on your next cruise and look at the cars these porters are driving. If you see my BIL, you'll see a early 90's model Ranger full of dents, rust, and missing a muffler. Yea, that's a "well paid union worker" :rolleyes:

By the way, the signs in Miami say "Tipping is optional based on service."

Sorry folks. I just get all spun up about this topic because people think they know what they are talking about.

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. They are members of the Longshoremen's union, and very well paid.

You are wrong.....again! There are members of the union who work as truck drivers, dock workers, etc, who supplement income by picking up extra shifts as porters. Then, there are porters who are not part of the first group, and are not union employees. Most fall in to the second category.

I didn't, but there must have been 100 people staring, It was very embarrassing, and shocking. It wasn't a very nice welcoming to our cruise

I would have been tempted to yell back...

"I tipped the driver, get your share from him!"

The first time I ever took a cruise I was soo excited. We had a bus from the airport. We had to wait for the bus driver to line up all of our luggage to take over to the terminal. SOme porters helped him get the luggage off the bus. We were fainlly let off the bus, I couldn't wait to grab my bags and get to the terminal!! We walked over to the luggage, grabbed our bags and headed toward the terminal. A porter started screaming at me like a maniac yelling "where's my tip" "I took your bag off the bus". He made a huge scene. That was when I learned that you are supposed to tip porters. I could have understood if he brought my bags from the bus to the terminal, and I had tipped the bus driver, but we brought the bags to the terminal - more like an airport, and they took them from there.

Why are they allowed to treat customers like that?

Anyone else had something similar happen?

I've only have done the bus thing once and I tipped the driver. Then I looked at a porter and gave him the hi sign, pointed at my bags to take to the terminal and tipped him...

When I was very young my Dad and I used to take the train to visit my grandparents and he always tipped the porters. Guess I learned to do it very young. Of course back then it was a quarter....;)

Yea, porters are the biggest bunch of A$$holes on the planet, because they thinl we as cruisers OWE them. Sure a tip is fine but they go on and on about everything. i tip a 20 cause i am nervous about how my luggage may NOt get to me.

I must respectfully disagree.

I would not condemn an entire group because of a few that are rude.

I know 2 porters in New Orleans that are a DELIGHT. They make sure your cruise starts the minute you give your bags to them with a HUGE smile.

A shout out to Dominic and Dayton!!!

You are wrong. This is not the case in Miami. I know this because my BIL is a porter there. His shift is 5 hours long, 4 days a week. I don't know what your definition of "well paid" is, but he has to carry 3 jobs just to make ends meet, and he does not live in a well-to-do community. When you stiff these guys, you are depriving them of much needed income.

Here you are going on a cruise vacation, and you can't spare a couple bucks to the person handling your bags? That's sad.

Do me a favor - get to the port early on your next cruise and look at the cars these porters are driving. If you see my BIL, you'll see a early 90's model Ranger full of dents, rust, and missing a muffler. Yea, that's a "well paid union worker" :rolleyes:

By the way, the signs in Miami say "Tipping is optional based on service."

Sorry folks. I just get all spun up about this topic because people think they know what they are talking about.

I'm surprised at how easily most of you people are willing to give up your hard-earned money. This topic (tipping) drives me insane.

No one forces these people to work the jobs they do. If they can't make it on their salaries, then I would suggest going back to school, getting an education, and then seeking better employment -- that's what, I dare say most of us here have done.

I'm sorry your BIL has to do this work for a living, but it's his choice -- isn't it.

No one tips me, in addition to paying my salary, and I would venture that is true of most of us. Yes it's true that I can afford to go on a cruise 2 or 3 time a year. You know I can afford it? By hard work by both myself and my wife and by being frugal with our resources. Not by panhandling people for a handout. :mad:

That's your excuse? :rolleyes:

You know what? Never mind.

You can just look at some people and know they are clueless.

Oh, maybe I'm wrong. Does someone have a gun to his head forcing him to work this job? Wait maybe someone is holding his family hostage -- I'll bet that's it isn't?

You pie-in-sky types that think it's every bodies fault but your own for the situation you find yourself in need to wake up, and realize that in the end there is only one person in the world who is responsible for you -- and that be you.

If you don't like the situation you are in, do something about -- but don't expect me to feel sorry for you, and don't try to extort money from me. I worked for mine, and plan to keep it.

I'm surprised at how easily most of you people are willing to give up your hard-earned money. This topic (tipping) drives me insane.

No one forces these people to work the jobs they do. If they can't make it on their salaries, then I would suggest going back to school, getting an education, and then seeking better employment -- that's what, I dare say most of us here have done.

I'm sorry your BIL has to do this work for a living, but it's his choice -- isn't it.

No one tips me, in addition to paying my salary, and I would venture that is true of most of us. Yes it's true that I can afford to go on a cruise 2 or 3 time a year. You know I can afford it? By hard work by both myself and my wife and by being frugal with our resources. Not by panhandling people for a handout. :mad:

Wow. Look down on people much. Not everyone is cut out to (or can afford to) go to college to get a higher paying job. If they could or did, there would be no porters to get your bags on the ship, there would be no waiters to bring you your food or people to clean your hotel rooms or cabins. Just because they work in a service industry does not mean they aren't hard working individuals. Our society is set up so that tipping is part of their wage structure. So no one tips you...its not part of your pay structure!!! You know that when you are hired and they know that tips are part of theirs when they get hired. By not tipping, you are the one ripping them off for doing their jobs. These people are not panhandling for a handout...They are expecting to get paid for the hard work they are doing for you.

Archived