Is Jost Van Dyke Ok with Kids

Mestiza Queen

We are planning to visit JVD for the day with our two girls and my mom and her husband. DH and I are looking forward to the bars :D but are just wondering if it will be appropriate for our girls who are 8 and 12 years. I`d love to hear from those who brought their kids.

We were just over a Jost Van Dyke and there were more kids than adults at the Soggy Dollar Bar, literally and figuratively. Seriously, it is a great place for kids, they love the calm water along the beach, the hammocks, and the ring games on the palms. Over half of the people at the Bar were there with their kids eating lunch and just relaxing. The place is so unassuming and laid back that it didn’t seem odd to see a 3 or 4 year old running around near the bar.

1838770209_YoungPiratesattheSoggyDollar.jpg.9c1aa9938c7a99af459a114812d90e51.jpg

Just a couple of things to keep in mind about kids and JVD:

--There's no dock. Depending on where your boat anchors, you may have a pretty longish swim into the beach. If that's a problem for kids or parents, ask the boat company ahead of time if they will take you into the beach in the dinghy.

--While you are swimming in and playing in the water just past the shoreline, LOTS of boats are coming and going. Keep an eye on the kids in the water.

--And, of course, LOTS of adults drinking LOTS of Painkillers. With a cruise ship in town, you'll probably see a fair number of kids but that's usually the only time you see many kids there.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I took a water taxi to Jost Van Dyke during a HAL

cruise last year. We had a fantastic time. The lay back atmosphere on the

island was absolutely fantastic, and the beach is just about perfect. I saw

absolutely nothing that would be inappropriate for your girls. My only

suggestion would be to make sure to bring water shoes. If you want to

walk from one beach/bar/restaurant to another it can be a little rocky.

Usually they have water shoes that people use and then put on the shore, but they were gone when we were there. Besides....I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with that process even though the thought is nice.

The Soggy Dollar Bar (where the Painkiller was purportedly invented)

has pictures of Keith Richard, Kenny Chesney and Jimmy Buffett on the walls, and an honor system at the bar. You go behind the bar take what you want,and leave money in the cash box when you leave. The water taxi ride from Tortola to JVD is gorgeous and in my mind was worth the

entire price of the excursion ......and then you get to JVD.

This is a "not to be missed" side trip

Archived