How much did it cost to cruise in 1995?

$1100 PP for an OV guarantee for a 7 night on CCL Tropicale in 1993. The original cost for the ship was $100 million. There were around 1000 passengers on the 36,000 ton vessel. She had a crew of 500 so with 2 pax per crew member the service was outstanding. One feature was the windowless main dining room down on deck 4. She works for Costa now.

As a comparison figure Oasis of the Seas holds around 6100 Pax, crew of 2100 and a cost of around $1.9 Billion. The cost of an outside cabin is somewhere around a $1000 - $1500 depending on the dates.

Our first cruise. May 1990, my DH and I paid 3600.00 for OV cabin on the Nordic Prince, NY to Bermuda 7 nights.

I suggest we take these price quotes with a grain of salt.

We paid $1,000 per person for an inside cabin on the Sky Princess in 1989. Princess was considered a better cruise line back then.

Prices have gone up or remained the same.

We always used to try for $100 per day for the best cabin we could get for that. Things havent changed much. You can still cruise for $100 per day.

We paid about $1200/pp for an INSIDE cabin on the old Nordic Prince in 1994! It was alot more expensive back then. That's why I don't understand all of the complaining about extra fee restaurants etc. You can eat in the specialty restauants every night and stay in a balcony for way cheaper than an inside 15 years ago. And figure in the cost of living increases over 15 years and it is even cheaper today!

I was also on the old Nordic Prince right around that time and the second lowest cabin category was around $1000 per person. BTW - that was one of the best cruises we've ever taken.

why make yourself feel bad...it was a lot less...but so was everything else

Actually, it seems like it was a lot more, especially if you adjust for inflation.

We paid about $450pp for an OV cabin for 4 nights on the Nordic Empress in 1995. DH didn't want to book one of the aft balconies (the only balconies left) because he was worried about soot and vibrations. I hadn't even been on a ship (he was active duty Navy at the time) so took his advice. Then I saw what we'd passed on and he was in a bit of hot water for a while.:p

One enduring regret is that we never booked another cruise on the Nordic Empress before she departed the RCI fleet. She was a terrific "little" vessel.

Can anyone here can tell me what a cruise on Royal Caribbean cost in 1995?

If you wouldn't mind sharing, could you give the approximate price per person and what stateroom category it was?

Thanks!

I don't recall (our first cruise was in 1987) but it is about the same as today. The difference is in the extras (excursions, photos, drinks) and other things that used to be allowed or complimentary but are no longer so.

We paid $1,000 per person for an inside cabin on the Sky Princess in 1989. Princess was considered a better cruise line back then.

We always used to try for $100 per day for the best cabin we could get for that. Things havent changed much. You can still cruise for $100 per day.

Was this for a Bermuda run?

Bermuda has always been a more expensive trip compared to cruising to other islands and the Nordic Prince prices reflected that.

No salt substitute needed.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Anyone cruising for a number of years will tell you that cruising is less expensive today than it was 5-10 even 15 years ago. Just because you did not pay those prices back then did not mean that they didn't exist. Maybe we should take your posts with a grain of salt.

• 4 weeks later...
We paid about $1200/pp for an INSIDE cabin on the old Nordic Prince in 1994! It was alot more expensive back then. That's why I don't understand all of the complaining about extra fee restaurants etc. You can eat in the specialty restauants every night and stay in a balcony for way cheaper than an inside 15 years ago. And figure in the cost of living increases over 15 years and it is even cheaper today!

:eek:Holy crap:eek:, thats rediculous!!!!!!!! I can tell you right now if cruising was still that much, I couldn't afford it at all. I cannot believe it was that much.

our first cruise was in January 1996 aboard Celebrity Zenith. It was $1100 pp for an oceanview

We did our first cruise on the Zenith in 1993 on our Honeymoon...I forget what we paid. This ship was beautiful. We have such great memories of it and we had an inside cabin. See what a honeymoon will do for you.;)

1991: 7 nights: Enchanted Isle, Commodore Cruise Line, brochure = 1445

San Diego RT Mexico Coast Cabin 45 Navigation Deck

1992: 7 nights: Crown Jewel, Crown Cruise Line, brochure = 1895

"Follow Your Bliss"

West Palm Beach RT to Caribbean, Cabin 4332, Deck 4

1995: 16 nights: Star Princess, Princess Cruises, we pd 2660 pp

"Grand Adventure Panama Canal"

San Diego - Panama Canal - Ft Lauderdale, Cabin D109, Dolphin Deck

1996: 7 nights, Regal Princess, Princess Cruises, brochure = 2959

"Voyage of the Glaciers"

Vancouver RT - Alaska, Cabin B198 Baja Deck

1996: 7 nights, Norwegian Crown, Norwegian Cruise Lines, brochure = 2959

"Revised Cruise Itinerary" (hurricane)

Ft Lauderdale RT Caribbean, Cabin 4131 Coral Deck, Ocean View

1997: 15 nights, Cunard Crown Dynasty, Cunard Line Limited,

we pd 1414 pp

1998: 7 nights, Grand Princess, Princess Line, balcony, we pd 2590 (for 2?) + air

2000: 14 night, Galaxy, Celebrity Line, ocean view,

2001: 7 night, Radiance of the Seas, RCCL Line, ocean view, 1938 (for 2?)

+ ins + air

September 1988

CCL Celebration

7 nights out of Miami to San Juan, St.Thomas and St.Maarten

$1100 each cabin cat.4 ( low deck oceanview) guaranty minimum cat.8.

Since the ship filled up we ended up in category 10 which was still an oceanview but on a higher deck.

The fare included return airfare.

Today, I have booked a 14 night on the EOS for 5 ( yes..2 became 5 !!) for the bargain price of $4300. :D:eek:

Fast-forward to September 2011 , 7 night(oceanview) on CCL Valor out of Miami.

$1229 total or $614.50 per person, no airfare. :D

Cruising is definetly a better value today when you consider the activities. ( rock climbing, ice-skating, bowling, simulated golf, slides, etc..).

Although back in 1988, you had the midnight buffet and the 1:30 a.m. mini buffet....hmmm I missed those.

Also, you have more choices in regards to food today. Back then there was the MDR and the Lido buffet.

Off topic from cruising, but we did Hawaii for 6 days last year and it was EASILY less than $1500 from the East Coast. I agree that 8 would easily be less than $2000. :)

:eek:

I'm sorry, but I don't see how you could possibly do Hawaii for $250 per day with food, lodging and flight factored in. If you drink, forget about it. Even the lower tier all inclusives I've seen there are $200 a day just for room and board.

I think we would all agree that there is no way you could get similar accommodations and food to what is offered on a cruise for anywhere near that price in Hawaii.

1989 Song of America July 2, 1989 - Two adults, one 13 year old in a cabin with no balcony (ocean view), they did not have many balconies on the ship. We paid 2790 for two adults and 699 for our daughter. They printed the menu on card board for the Fourth of July as a souvenir and had a list with the name of every passenger on board the ship. You also received a card at dinner with a greeting from the captain wishing you a happy independence day on board the M/s "Song of America" Voyage #338! In your room was a dish of fruit and a dish of chocolates and a fresh deck of playing cards. The next day we received a canvas bag with goodies inside!!! And not one Chair Hog on the whole cruise:eek::eek:

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!:D

Archived