Balcony vs. veranda

MarilynA

On the Paul Gauguin, what is the difference between a veranda and a balcony? Are there chairs and room for sitting on both? I'm suspicious that a "balcony" on the PG may not be the same as on other ships, otherwise, there wouldn't have been the need to have two categories of balconies in the deck plan.

On the Paul Gauguin, what is the difference between a veranda and a balcony? Are there chairs and room for sitting on both? I'm suspicious that a "balcony" on the PG may not be the same as on other ships, otherwise, there wouldn't have been the need to have two categories of balconies in the deck plan.

Marilyn,it is so obvious if you would simply view the PG website and click on Suites & Rooms.

The B Category states it is a Verandah Suite 56 sqft. balcony I had one I know):rolleyes:

The C/D Category states it is a balcony stateroom 37 sqft. balcony!

So does this answer your question???????????

Its all about SIZE!:D

Marilyn,it is so obvious if you would simply view the PG website and click on Suites & Rooms.

So does this answer your question???????????

Its all about SIZE!:D

Yes, thank you, I realize it's a matter of size difference. I would like to know if there are chairs and room for lounging on the smaller sized balconies or if there is only room to open the doors and step out such as on a French balcony.

37sq ft or 56sq feet, they are the most UNDER UTILIZED sq ft on the entire ship.

As MANY PG regulars will tell you, save your money. You will find yourself in the public areas most all the time. I would MUCH rather go two years in a row (who would do THAT :o), than pay thousands MORE pp for a balcony (don't get me started on butlers). We had one this year as a free upgrade, but I am COMPLETELY happy with Category E.

There is nothing like hearing the sounds of the sea, and the waves, while lying in bed, with the balcony door open..........we always do this at night, tying back the curtain to see the moonlight.......Getting up early and watching the sky lighten from your balcony - sitting out there enjoying the morning air before it gets too hot.........feeling the cool trade winds on your bare skin.......To each his own!

There is nothing like hearing the sounds of the sea, and the waves, while lying in bed, with the balcony door open..........we always do this at night, tying back the curtain to see the moonlight.......Getting up early and watching the sky lighten from your balcony - sitting out there enjoying the morning air before it gets too hot.........feeling the cool trade winds on your bare skin.......To each his own!

SSS -

You DO make sound appealing! I agree that balconies are nice, but being a skinflint by nature, it is not worth the extra $$ to me on a ship where I practically LIVE on deck (or on the water, or...). Of course, I don't buy Business Class upgrades on the airplane either!

Go for cabin 767 and this is category C but a larger balcony than category B. We really enjoyed sitting out there after a days activities before dinner.

Oh yes,sure,try to snatch up the newest stateroom available among the others on aft!For one,they are between the bar above and restaurant below.Noisy!Also,there is no bathtub!And I believe PG in their money making are going to be imposing a surcharge if you will!

If your a frugal person,I suppose Category E or F will get you by,although,that reminds me of someone who cruises a full size ship and books and inside stateroom:DThis would also be someone who drives a stripped down Hyundai Elantra instead of the Genesis Sedan!They both get you where your going,however,totally different class of luxury and comfort!

So I figure the folks evaluating a PG Cruise,more than likely drive that Genesis and therefore are not frugal,and desire to experience their vacation without money worries and enjoy that verandah and those butlers for an unforgettable experience:rolleyes:

I agree with others, if you're frugal, do without the balcony on this ship and destination. We've only had one once and it was a cheap upgrade.

It's often too hot to sit out on the balcony, and if your balcony is on the sunny side it's impossible.

I would not have been able to afford 4 trips, 42 nights, if I had bought balcony cabins. We like the E windows.

I am certainly not a frugal person - I take several trips each year in the lap of luxury. Mostly travel on business class. However, I do believe in getting value for my money. The PG is one of the few ships where I am content to stay in a window cabin. In fact we love the ledge on the window as its great for storing books and sundries. We are just deciding on our cabin for next year on the PG and agree totally with MtnDriver. We will very likely be in the F but not because we drive stripped down cars but because we drive fully equipped volvos.

I am certainly not a frugal person - I take several trips each year in the lap of luxury. Mostly travel on business class. However, I do believe in getting value for my money. The PG is one of the few ships where I am content to stay in a window cabin. In fact we love the ledge on the window as its great for storing books and sundries. We are just deciding on our cabin for next year on the PG and agree totally with MtnDriver. We will very likely be in the F but not because we drive stripped down cars but because we drive fully equipped volvos.

HAH!Good one!:)

Nicely said! This is indeed one of the few ships that I would go without a balcony. That being said, I love my balconies! But like other have said, getting up on deck is so easy and there is always room to sit, that it is actually preferable to the balcony. I did use our balcony a few times... nothing better than a nice afternoon snooze on your balcony chair! But in the future we will stay in either porthole or window rooms.

Actually, I lied when I said the F - I have only been on the E on the PG - the one with the picture window and once in a D. We know the relatively private spots on the ship to sit out on a verandah and read a book with no body around on the sea days.

That said I love to have a Balcony or suite on the monster ships - one needs a private place to run away from it all.

I guess it's a matter of different strokes for different folks in terms of whether you get a balcony or not. We enjoyed sitting out on the balcony when we were not in common areas on the ship. It certainly wasn't noisy,even though it's between the bar and restaurant. This was our first cruise and wanted the best of everything (didn't get the butler though this would have been handy to pack the bags at the end of the trip). The advantage of the balconies as opposed to being on deck is that whilst the ship is swinging at anchor you will always be out of the wind....Hey Tom how about slagging off another boat...have you travelled P&O?

We had a balcony on our PG cruise June 26th. It was nice to have, but I would never pay for it for this trip again. I agree there are plenty of open areas to take in the views and enjoy your morning coffee outside. We never nap or spend any afternoon time in our room. We used it for perhaps 20 minutes total and a good portion of that was to justify having paid for it at all. There is only room for two small chairs and a small table, but it is serviceable. Also, with all the islands being so close, there is a lot to look at as you pull into port if you choose to stay in your room, really lovely. As for the verandahhhhhhhhh, everyone I spoke with that had these staterooms and a butler seemed to enjoy them, and their friendly butlers. The larger problem was that most of those people said they felt badly that they were unable to think of things for the butler to do and that created its own stress, "Oh, how to make James feel needed?".I don't know if these decks were large enough for a lounge chair. I say if you can afford it and you really enjoy quiet down time or naps get the balcony. If you are people oriented and not one to hang out in your room, skip it and spend the difference on great excursions.

Better yet - buy more pearls.

My next PG cruise will be without the balcony for sure.

Butler? The only thing the room steward did for us (beyond cleaning) was take the laundry twice. I cannot imagine what I would have done with a butler on that cruise.

Go for cabin 767 and this is category C but a larger balcony than category B. We really enjoyed sitting out there after a days activities before dinner.

Sandandsealovers, I’m so happy to hear a positive report about one of the aft cabins. Would you book this cabin again? I’m seriously considering booking 763 or 764 on a future cruise since there is a very reasonable single supplement being charged for it. I don’t mind the absence of a tub at all; in fact, I much prefer a rain shower to a tub. Did you find the engine noise bothersome, or were you bothered by noise from the decks above or below you? Are there any other negatives we should be aware of with these aft cabins other than the smaller size?

Marilyn,

We were extremely happy with our aft cabin. There definitely was no noise from La Palette or Le Grille. You would not know there was a disco after 11.00pm, (on the nights we were not there ourselves). Another couple who booked category A saw our cabin and liked our bathroom much better and the size of our balcony. Their room was larger than ours with more cupboard space but we certainly did not use all our cupboard space anyway. It is nice to have your door open to let in some fresh air. Did not have any supplement charge for this cabin though. There is no engine noise aft but we could hear the noise you are referring to from the lift area. Hope this assists you with your thoughts and plans.

When we took the 6/26 sailing, our daughter stayed alone in this cabin, with no single supplement. She loved it. The shower is much bigger, and so is the balcony. She really enjoyed sitting out on the balcony watching the sunsets, and the ocean. No problems with noise that I can remember.

Archived