Sneakers for DRF?

Julia Goolia

Hi, all. Hoping that someone who has been to Dunns River Falls recently can tell me whether or not sneakers are permitted for the climb. I have several pairs of old sneakers that still have plenty of tread on them that I think would be perfect to climb the falls.

However, my friend thinks that she read somewhere that sneakers were not allowed and that you had to have water shoes or they wouldn't let you climb.

I hate the thought of going out and buying water shoes just for this excursion and honestly think that I would feel more comfortable and secure in the sneakers anyway, but I'll buy the water shoes if there is a chance that I would just have to buy them when I am there anyway.

I saw an older thread where several posters indicated that sneakers were acceptable but I am wondering if someone who has been there recently can confirm that this is still the case.

Thanks in advance!

I was there in April and wore sneakers. No one said anything, but I wish I had worn water shoes in order to get a better grip on the rocks. I would recommend that your sneakers not be "bulky" with a thick sole. Something like Keds or really well worn sneakers might be best. The guides told us exactly where to step and it wasn't the path I would have chosen in sneakers. :) There is a water shoe rental place as you approach the guide pavilion and our excursion leader asked beforehand and stopped so others could rent shoes. I don't remember the cost but believe is was $5 or less. Have fun.

I've worn old sneakers and have no reason to believe they would not be allowed today based on a visit just several weeks ago . . . .

dd heading 'up the middle'

Thanks! Great photo of your DD. Still not sure if I will just go buy a pair of water shoes or take some old sneakers. Fortunately I have a few days to decide. :)

Thanks for the info about the rental shoes, CruiseAg01. Won't be doing that as wearing shoes that others have worn creeps me out a little. I won't even share shoes with my sister who has the same size feet. :o I appreciate the info though.

Take care,

We have used two types of water shoes.

In the past the cheapies we buy at Wallmart and throw away at our last stop.

But this year we spent the "bucks" and purchased Landsend water shoes and ordered during their "free shipping" period. Although they were pricey when I came home and washed them, they look brand new. We will have them for cruises to come.

Sneakers will not let water out and will become very soggy. You can wear them at Dunns falls, and we did see people with them on, but we will wear our water shoes.

Safe travels.

I was there in April and wore sneakers. No one said anything, but I wish I had worn water shoes in order to get a better grip on the rocks. I would recommend that your sneakers not be "bulky" with a thick sole. Something like Keds or really well worn sneakers might be best. The guides told us exactly where to step and it wasn't the path I would have chosen in sneakers. :) There is a water shoe rental place as you approach the guide pavilion and our excursion leader asked beforehand and stopped so others could rent shoes. I don't remember the cost but believe is was $5 or less. Have fun.

We went in 2007 and they also were selling the water shoes pretty cheap- I still have mine.

I was just there last week. I would say half the people had sneakers on and the half water shoes. You can rent water shoes at the falls for $7 or buy them at the pier for I think $15. We used our own water shoes but either would be fine. Like one lady said on our tour "my sneakers will be dry before whatever I catch from rental water shoes clears up!"

• 2 weeks later...
I was just there last week. I would say half the people had sneakers on and the half water shoes. You can rent water shoes at the falls for $7 or buy them at the pier for I think $15. We used our own water shoes but either would be fine. Like one lady said on our tour "my sneakers will be dry before whatever I catch from rental water shoes clears up!"

LOL Jason! That's too funny. Unfortunately you were a bit late as I was actually climbing the falls as you were typing your post. :D

We did go ahead and buy water shoes/aqua socks but I wish I had not wasted my money. Sneakers worked just fine and if I had taken an older pair, I could have just left them behind when I was finished. They would have been much more comfortable than the water shoes for me. But regardless...it all worked out. We had a great time.

Thanks again for all of the responses and recommendations.

Have a great day!

Archived