Progreso Biking & Cenote Snorkeling

superdoc09

These cenotes (above) are the ones at Chunkanan, also known as the Cuzama cenotes. There are three, and there is in fact only one rail line in and out, resulting in the little mule-drawn platforms having to be taken off in order to let others pass. The rule is this: if one is coming in and one is heading out of the cenotes, the one heading in has right of way UNLESS there are two heading out, then THEY have right of way. :)

There will be many locals there if you are here during the December holidays when Mexicans like to travel and there are many people visiting the cenotes. At this time of the year (February) there are few local people because a) they are not on holidays and b) it is our winter so for us it is cold :)

This Monday (day after tomorrow) however, is a stat holiday and so again, you will see a few more locals there.

Great photos by the way! I love the first one; you had to swim to the back to get that shot looking back at the entrance. Very cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the official carnival cenotes are? Would it be better to book a trip in town or on the ship? i want to see cave / sinkhole like cenotes. Not ones that are like lakes... The ship arrives at 7am leaves at 4pm. I also don't want to go on an excursion that makes me miss the ship...

Archived