Just returned on the Pearl

Giantfan13

I know there have been many reports written already from people who have returned, but we wanted to add our comments also on a simply marvelous trip.

This was our second visit to Alaska. Last time we did a one way, Vancouver to Whittier, so we were very familiar with the ports and such.

We sailed on the Pearl from Aug 22 to Aug 29. I know the weather has been sort of brutal in Alaska for this entire season, but we lucked out. It poured our first day out, but that was our sea day. In Juneau the weather was overcast, but no rain. We did the blue bus to Mendenhall, and the man in one of the many booths, only charged us $20 instead of the going $28 rate. We hiked to the waterfall, and got a great picture of part of the glacier calving, right when we were there.

Spent the rest of the day/night just enjoying Juneau, with a stop at the Red Onion.

In Skagway, it was very overcast when we arrived. We had reserved a car with Avis and questioned whether to take it or just stay in town. We questioned several of the locals about what it would be like traveling to Emerald Lake. For the most part they all seem to think the fog and clouds would lift, so we got the car and headed north. They were right. After about an hour of driving, we were in the clear and the sun came out. For those that have made this trip, we stopped at the waterfall to take a picture, and we looked up and there was a bear just crossing the road about 100 feet from us. He stopped and looked right at us. Since we are not big game hunters, we headed right for the car. I got some great pictures of him. By now many of the tour buses were also stopping to take pictures. Seemed like a Ranger came along and sort of shooed him off the road. We drove to where he was and he was maybe 5 feet away, on the other side of the guard rail, before he headed off into the bushes.

The trip to Emerald Lake was great. We stopped at the 'Smallest Desert', we ate ice cream at the General store, and Emerald Lake was just so green. The trip back was even better, s now we were in sunshine the entire way back.

Just a wonderful day all around.

Glacier Bay was the next day. We had already been here, so we knew what to expect, but what we didn't know was how magnificent it can look on a perfectly clear, cool, sunny day. The John Hopkins Glacier and that area was something you just cannot capture in a picture. We saw many whales, sea otters, sea lions, and even Bears eating a whale carcass that had been beached.

Our last stop, Ketchikan, we simply strolled around town. the Salmon were really hopping all over the place, and we jsut took it easy and captured the essence of Alaska as best we could. \

On the cruise back, we were able to view many, many, many whales. some far in the distance and some very close to the ship. Even the Captain came on the PA and said that anyone wishing to view whales should go outside as there were many to see.

Our last day Viktoria was also very nice. this was our first time and we decided to just walk into the downtown area. It was a Saturday nite so the town was humming. we decided to do the 9:30 ghost walk, as my DW is really into these things, We both enjoyed it very much. the man doing the tour was excellent. We took a cab back to the pier.

All in all it was a marvelous cruise. we had heard, on coming aboard, that the last cruise out, they had about an hours sunshine the entire crusie, but maybe we hit the jackpot.

I know it's late in the season, but any questions I can help anyone with, will be a pleasure.

Cheers

Len

There are No bad cruises, just bad cruisers

I am on the Pearl next August-14th...I really loved your review because I am just so excited about the trip itself...I was wondering about trying to do both Mendenhall Glacier and the Mt Roberts Tramway...is there time since we don't get into port until 2pm...which one first?...I can't wait to do the car rental in Skagway...how early did you reserve your car?...ok just one more question- Favorite souveniers??

Thanks for your review. We will board the Pearl on September 12,10. Weather is weather so reading all the info from CC has helped us plan and pack for whatever. We are renting a car in Skagway, Juneau to the Glacier and nothing but walking self tour in Ketchikan. We don't know what to do in Victoria due to the short time we are their? Thanks again, we will continue where you left off. ;)

sorry about that BQ.

The problem with the Pearl's itinerary, are the times in ports. They are terrible. In Juneau in later august, it gets dark about 8 ish and things are closing. You should have no problem doing Mt Roberts and Mendenhall, depending upon how much time you want to spend at each locale. Be aware that the Blue and White buses from private transportation (the $14 trips, the last bus back to town is 6:00. After that it is a cab, public transportation (a long walk) or hitch hike :).

We reserved our car about 6 months in advance, but that's just the way we are.

And for Victoria, most people headed for tours of the Gardens. We didn't want to do that as it would be dark for most of the time there. As I said, if you are on the Pearl, you will be thereon a Saturday night and the downtown area is alive and kicking then. Many street performers, all shops are open, music is there. a very nice town.

Thank you for your review.

We were on the Pearl 8-8-10 and really loved the ship, the ports, and everything about Glacier Bay. We also had good, if not incredible, weather. It hit 70's with clear blue sky in Glacier Bay, 80 with sun and blue sky in Ketchikan, and 88 in Victoria. The 97 in Seattle was a bit of a shock but it felt like summer. We had maybe 30 minutes of misty/rain in Juneau but it was cloudy. That was it for the whole week actually in terms of rain during the day. It made Mendenhall look so blue and we did not mind getting wet at the waterfall either.

I would have loved the cruise in seasonal Alaska weather too!

it would be awesome if you recent returnees posted a few photos??!!

I am attaching my very long review in sections. I have some photos (of the 756 taken) in the review. If you scroll through you will find some pictures. I am not that great at attaching pictures to posts so you may have to do some clicking too! I think they begin on page 3 or 4.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1256729&highlight=

My husband and I were on the same cruise. We totally enjoyed everything. The ship was fabulous and very clean and we walked around the ports. We spent 1 night precruise at the Westin which was very nice. Postcruise we stayed at Hyatt at Olive 8. That was the most wonderful place I have ever stayed in. Service on the ship was great and everyone was so friendly. I have been on several Carnival cruises and this was our first NCL and I loved the freestyle. We did take the Seattle light rail into downtown from the airport. Got a little lost but followed everyone else that was walking towards that way. Went to the Westlake station and tooked the elevator to the street. The Westin was 1 block down. We had to take a taxi back because our flight left at 6 a.m. so that was our only option but it wasn't bad at all. Our favorite place was the Spinnaker lounge. We loved Bud Anderson's comedy show and Oh What A Night was fabulous.

Could somone tell me how far the drive to emerald lake is and is it worth the drive, seems like I heard it was 6 hrs., could be wrong, can I get there in May?

Allow 4-5 hours. In May there still will be a lot of snow, and at the White Pass, can have significant banks. Of course weather is unpredictable, one trip, had severe white outs and the weather at the summit is usually "worse" than BC and Yukon. :)

"Necessary" is the purchase of Murrary's Guide.

Took us a bit over 6 hours, but it all depends on how much you stop, look around, and even eat at places you can eat. We spent at least 3/4 of an hour in Carcross (if that is possible to do), just enjoying the town, the shop and some delicious ice cream. We really took our time going, and when we got to Emerald Lake we were the only ones there. I guess all the early people had been there and gone. There was a lady selling things by the 'Yukon' sign and we spend some time talking to her. We spent some time at the 'smallest desert' also.

Everyone traveling is different. We enjoy stopping at many turnoffs, taking pix and just getting the feeling for the place instead of rushing there and rushing back.

We even encountered a bear at a stop by the waterfall, saw some eagles sitting in a tree along the road.

It was a wonderful trip and once we got out of the 'pass' we had very nice weather.

Cheers

Len

I get to skagway at 7:00 am and leave at 8:30, so is that good times to book Whitepass and go to emerald lake, should I do it thru princess or whitepass? So, you can stop on the way back at different stops, so by may 26 or so the roads should be clear (of course nobody can predicate the weather), so has anyone been bored staying in a bus/shuttle for that many hrs, or getting off and on helps and of course scenery is great :)

Allow 4-5 hours. In May there still will be a lot of snow, and at the White Pass, can have significant banks. Of course weather is unpredictable, one trip, had severe white outs and the weather at the summit is usually "worse" than BC and Yukon. :)

"Necessary" is the purchase of Murrary's Guide.

where do you get murray's guide? I take a bus or shuttle back, correct and take the train up? sorry I don't know much

where do you get murray's guide? I take a bus or shuttle back, correct and take the train up? sorry I don't know much

Murray's guide is mostly for self driving. Otherwise, you will come up with the site via google, or his web site http://www.explorenorth.com

I highly recommend you consider Chilkoot Charters for a rail/bus combo. They do an excellent job. An alternative, that I just managed to do this year was the Lake Bennett train, to Carcross. Spectacular scenery and an excellent train ride.

I've gone in your timeframe, the last several years. Still will be snow on the ground. :)

Murray's guide is mostly for self driving. Otherwise, you will come up with the site via google, or his web site www.explorenorth.com

I highly recommend you consider Chilkoot Charters for a rail/bus combo. They do an excellent job. An alternative, that I just managed to do this year was the Lake Bennett train, to Carcross. Spectacular scenery and an excellent train ride.

I've gone in your timeframe, the last several years. Still will be snow on the ground. :)

maybe you can help me, is that tour 9 hrs.? am i looking at the correct one on chikoot charters, carcross rail and bus, which goes to lake bennett, emeral lake, carcross? I also couldn't find prices?

maybe you can help me, is that tour 9 hrs.? am i looking at the correct one on chikoot charters, carcross rail and bus, which goes to lake bennett, emeral lake, carcross? I also couldn't find prices?

Yes, the longest is what I mention above, going to Lake Bennett. Email them directly for prices.

Archived