Back from the Pearl, the good and some bad

Giantfan13

First let me state this is NOT a knock NCL or the Pearl post. NCL is our favorite crusie line and this was our 6th cruise on this line. But there were a few 'bumps' along the road that were a complete surprise to us.

The Pearl is a wonderful ship and we enjoyed just about every minute of our cruise. we sailed on the Jewel last year, have been on the Jade (AKA Pride of Hawaii) so we know these ships fairly well.

I guess our biggest beef or complaint is the new menu's that NCL has adopted. I read these boards fairly often but was completely unaware of this new menu change, and it was not for the good.

The food quality was good to very good and we ate in the main dining room for just about every meal. I also must say we are vegetarians, as we eat no meat or shellfish, but we usually always find a decent choice on any crusie.

I guess what we were most disappointed in is how they reduced the menu. When there used to be several choices for appetizers, soups, entrees, now there are basically nothing. there were no pasta dishes on every menu, no vegetarian dishes on every menu, and most of all, no more 'heart healthy' choices on each menu.

the lunch menu is always the same with NO choices except the few things they offered. This was the most disappointing. It was as if they are trying to drive people up to the very crowded buffet, which we hate. I'm not knocking the food in the buffet, just the whole buffet experience is not for us.

Our other knock on this Alaskan cruise were the times in ports. Now we knew this going in, so this was no surprise, but when the crusie director is making fun of having to get up at 6:00AM to get off in Ketchikan, it is just a poor time to dock. We were in Juneau from 2-10PM but it's dark at 8 and most of the stores are either closed or closing, all excursions are done by 7ish.

I just think NCL should do a better job in times in port to allow cruisers to enjoy their time in these wonderful ports.

There were two shows that were simply great. The 'Oh what a night show' was absolutely one of the best shows we have seen, and then the 'Second City' Show was terriffic. We just couldn't stop laughing. The jugglers were not our taste and to be honest, the singers and dancers try hard, but they jsut seem to be spinning their wheels and not getting very far. But we enjoyed most shows (except the jugglers).

Anyway, the crusie was great, as are all cruises, but if this is the menu on NCL for the forseeable future I will seriously be thinking of trying a different crusie line. We love the Freeestyle experience, but not at giving up enjoying your dining experience.

Cheers

Len

First let me state this is NOT a knock NCL or the Pearl post. NCL is our favorite crusie line and this was our 6th cruise on this line. But there were a few 'bumps' along the road that were a complete surprise to us.

The Pearl is a wonderful ship and we enjoyed just about every minute of our cruise. we sailed on the Jewel last year, have been on the Jade (AKA Pride of Hawaii) so we know these ships fairly well.

I guess our biggest beef or complaint is the new menu's that NCL has adopted. I read these boards fairly often but was completely unaware of this new menu change, and it was not for the good.

The food quality was good to very good and we ate in the main dining room for just about every meal. I also must say we are vegetarians, as we eat no meat or shellfish, but we usually always find a decent choice on any crusie.

I guess what we were most disappointed in is how they reduced the menu. When there used to be several choices for appetizers, soups, entrees, now there are basically nothing. there were no pasta dishes on every menu, no vegetarian dishes on every menu, and most of all, no more 'heart healthy' choices on each menu.

the lunch menu is always the same with NO choices except the few things they offered. This was the most disappointing. It was as if they are trying to drive people up to the very crowded buffet, which we hate. I'm not knocking the food in the buffet, just the whole buffet experience is not for us.

Our other knock on this Alaskan cruise were the times in ports. Now we knew this going in, so this was no surprise, but when the crusie director is making fun of having to get up at 6:00AM to get off in Ketchikan, it is just a poor time to dock. We were in Juneau from 2-10PM but it's dark at 8 and most of the stores are either closed or closing, all excursions are done by 7ish.

I just think NCL should do a better job in times in port to allow cruisers to enjoy their time in these wonderful ports.

There were two shows that were simply great. The 'Oh what a night show' was absolutely one of the best shows we have seen, and then the 'Second City' Show was terriffic. We just couldn't stop laughing. The jugglers were not our taste and to be honest, the singers and dancers try hard, but they jsut seem to be spinning their wheels and not getting very far. But we enjoyed most shows (except the jugglers).

Anyway, the crusie was great, as are all cruises, but if this is the menu on NCL for the forseeable future I will seriously be thinking of trying a different crusie line. We love the Freeestyle experience, but not at giving up enjoying your dining experience.

Cheers

Len

Len, thanks for a good and honest review. As for the menu, I still don't see much to be upset about, but for a vegetarian I would imagine the choices were not all that great and yes, they have cut back.

We too loved Second City, more on the Pearl than the Spirit.

As for trying another line, sometimes this is the best way to find out what you are or are not missing. I will tell you, my experience: the food on all lines have been reduced, choices as well as quality.

Nita

I hate hearing this about the dining on the Pearl-- I was just on Carnival recently and thought there main dining room menus were outstanding--- we will be on the NCL Spirit soon for 15 days and I hope their main dining menus show some variety like they use to be--we have a cruise booked on the Pearl for the canal which was not very cheap compared to some others--so now I do not know what to do==??

I agree with the op--we like NCL but will not be pleased if they continue to downgrade the food in the main dining rooms---this is why we tried Carnival recently to get a comparison which NCL--NCL did not compare very well in the main dining room food or menus..

Big Green

again, just to be clear, the food was very good. We ate fish every night and it was prepared excellently, but that was the only thing we were able to eat, as the choices were very limited.

and the lunch menu, if you didn't eat meat, you were basically limited to fish and chips or a mushroom omlete, (There are only 6 things on the entree menu anyway)EVERY DAY. Not a very good selection for a 7 day crusie, let alone a longer one. Isn't that part of the fun, wondering what is on the menu the next day, and what new things you can try. well now most of that has disappeared.

Again, I love NCL, but if they are trying to drive people to the buffet or to pay restauants by reducing their menus, they will be driving people to other cruise lines. I simply cannot afford to do sepcialty restaurants on my cruises.

Cheers

Len

I think I had chicken Milanese 4 times for lunch last week - good thing I liked it! I know what you mean about the limited menus - which is even more limited when you're a vegetarian.

BTW Len, I think I spoke to you last week - did someone say hi to you but mentioned they weren't a Giants fan (perhaps this happened on multiple occasions) - well one of the times it was me;).

I think I had chicken Milanese 4 times for lunch last week - good thing I liked it! I know what you mean about the limited menus - which is even more limited when you're a vegetarian.

BTW Len' date=' I think I spoke to you last week - did someone say hi to you but mentioned they weren't a Giants fan (perhaps this happened on multiple occasions) - well one of the times it was me;).[/quote']

Though we usually eat in the buffet for lunch or on shore (sometimes B.L.) I did hear the biggest complaints about the dining room menu for lunch. A few we talked to and some we were with said the food was very good, but very limited choices. Again, we were content with the choices and quality in the MDR for dinner.

Of course, you being a Giant fan, shows how little you know about the real world..LOL

Nita

OP, the cruise line is not in complete control regarding the inport times, the local port authority is a big factor in this. Tides, port services, port traffic, availability of pilots, availability of tugs, etc. all impact when ships may enter and leave a port.

We'll see who will be playing in January.:):):)

Please don't be a Cowgirl fan or I'll have to 'hate' you:eek::eek::eek:

Cheers

Len

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Can we just agree to dislike the Eagles, at least the Giants and the Cowboys have rich histories of WINNING the big one!

Hi, Hikini -

Just saw that you are sailing in a few days on the Star. On our sail of 8/14 - 8/21, there WERE chilled fruit soups in the MDR, and they were GOOD!

Thanks!!! We have enjoyed them on every cruise and I look forward to them in-between cruises. I hope they are in Cagney's as well.

Does the Star have a different menu than the Pearl???

I thought all NCL ships, have the same menu?? When NCL changes the menu, isn't it fleet wide, so if one ship doesn't have specific items on their menu, how can another one have it??

Cheers

Len

Does the Star have a different menu than the Pearl???

I thought all NCL ships, have the same menu?? When NCL changes the menu, isn't it fleet wide, so if one ship doesn't have specific items on their menu, how can another one have it??

Cheers

Len

That is typically the case from what I understand. I also believe that sometimes they "roll out" a menu, or send up a trial balloon on one or two ships before going fleet wide. I haven't heard anything about a new menu for awhile.

There is currently a thread going with pictures of the menu and food that canvasowl posted from her recent cruise on the Jewel. I hope that's the same menu we will have on the Star.....in less than 24 hours now!:D

They have only rolled out the new static menus on two ships, the Dawn and the Pearl. I was on the Dawn and am of the group that did not enjoy it. I, too, enjoy looking forward to a different menu every nite, not just 2 or dishes. I was on Carnival recently and found the food in the MDR and the buffet much better than NCL but I love Freestyle and will not go back to a set dining time. When Carnival finishes rolling out the "Anytime Dining" I am going to give them another try. In the meantime, I am still very much an NCL fan and am glad that the new menus have not been rolled out fleet wide.

I have written NCL about this menu change and told them in no uncertain terms that it 'could' be a deal breaker when looking for our next cruise. Glad to hear it is only a couple of ships. I sure hope NCL doesn't decide to do this fleet wide, or they might see passengers flocking to other lines.

Is it money that possessed them to drastically cut back on their menu???

Cheers

Len

It could be that it is much easier for the kitchen to make certain meals ahead as freestyle is what it is. The galley's aren't that big and to prepare so many indivual dishes at all different times is a big deal. Also, it makes it nicer for passengers who might not enjoy ANY of the offerings on a given day and there are always the chix, steak and whatever to fall back on.

They have only rolled out the new static menus on two ships, the Dawn and the Pearl. I was on the Dawn and am of the group that did not enjoy it. I, too, enjoy looking forward to a different menu every nite, not just 2 or dishes. I was on Carnival recently and found the food in the MDR and the buffet much better than NCL but I love Freestyle and will not go back to a set dining time. When Carnival finishes rolling out the "Anytime Dining" I am going to give them another try. In the meantime, I am still very much an NCL fan and am glad that the new menus have not been rolled out fleet wide.

Hopefully, they will discontinue the roll out if too many cruisers are disappointed.

My sister and I were on the Carnival Legend last year. We did 'anytime dining'. We never had to wait for a table, and the menu and food was excellent (MDR and Buffet).

We will be on the NCL Sun next month. I hope the food and menu choices are good as the Legend.

Archived