What percentage of cruisers wear formal dress on formal nights?

susieh

Actually that percentage is for those that are dressed up. Those wearing actual formal wear (tux and formal gown) is 13.84375921 %

I find that number dubious. I've yet to see a single person wear BOTH a tux AND formal gown. :-)

To the original poster, as stated earlier, you'll be in the minority, but you won't look out of place. Generally, the shorter the cruise, and if it occurs when children are out of school, the formally dressed percentage declines. It also is ship dependent. The Voyager-class attracts more families, so will have less people dressed formally.

LOL. I think that's high. Using the guys since that's an easier distinction than level of formal for women....

I'd say closer to:

4.7302652% Tux

64.783843% Suit, Tie

18.383800% Tie/no jacket or Sports Coat no tie

7.8373737% Slacks no tie/jacket

3.6784840% Jeans / shorts

0.5880500% People of Walmart.com

I actually think this is a pretty accurate guess.

I always dress up every evening and wear a formal dress on a formal

night. I too have done the NCL and Ocean Village where they don't dress up no thanks. Dressing up is part of my cruise and a very important part. I treat my self to at least one new dress each cruise well don't tell hubby but it's more like several!!!! Do I get upset at those who don't? No each to there own but I hate to see shorts in the evening there is a time and a place if you know what I mean.

On our RCI cruises I'd say that at lest half of the guests went formal. The time of the cruise does make a difference. On a 5 day cruise last April, there were a lot of families because school was out. On that cruise it was about 50%. On other cruises when there are more mature passengers the percentage rises.

I also think that the longer the cruise, the more people go formal, but, again, that can be attributed to age demographics.

Me, I love to play dress up. I will change after dinner sometimes, but that's because a) the shoes are killing me and b) it's too darned cold in the theater.

Have a great cruise!

I always dress up every evening and wear a formal dress on a formal

night. I too have done the NCL and Ocean Village where they don't dress up no thanks. Dressing up is part of my cruise and a very important part. I treat my self to at least one new dress each cruise well don't tell hubby but it's more like several!!!!

Here's my secret to buying dress up clothes that hubby is fine with: I shop at second hand stores. Most women will wear a gown twice. After that all of their "circle" has seen it so they either consign it or donate it to a charitable second hand store.

Shop at the second hand store. Get it cleaned. Get it altered (if necessary) and you still save a bundle of money.

After wearing my gowns a couple of times on cruises, I donate them back. I feel that I am helping the charity that runs the store and saving my cruise money for important things like wine and umbrella drinks.:rolleyes:

The cruises we've been on its about 30 per cent - that dress up - really dress up - the rest are a mix of suits, sport jackets and just shirts and ties or shirts and sport jackets-- so its a good mix

Everyone does what they feel comfortable with - us its kind of dressy but he's more casual than me - lol:)

thanks for all the replies.

We're doing B2B 7 night cruises in October around the Southern Caribbean. So unless US school times are very different to UK school times I'm not expecting many children on the cruise.

I will pack DH's tux and a couple of bow ties to match my 2 dresses - one of which is long and the other of which is just below the knee. The plan is that as there are 2 formal nights each week but it's 2 cruises I can get away with wearing each one twice.

Luggage allowance is 20kg each so shouldn't be too bad - I just wish shoes didn't weigh so much!

It's impossible to give a percentage.

The cruise ships are hugh and there's no way you will see what half let alone all the guests are wearing.

Many of the dining rooms are 3-tier and you don't even get to see everyone dining at the same time as you. You just see the people around you or that you pass walking through the ship.

I usually have main dining, so when I'm heading to dinner, many of the guests with late dining haven't changed into their dinner attire, yet.

I like to change after formal dinners, because I don't like wearing dresses and hate walking around in heels. By the time the late seating gets out of dinner, I'm in my comfy clothes. That doesn't mean I didn't dress formal, they just never saw me dressed up. After all they were in their comfy clothes, when I was all dressed up for main dining.

There's a big difference between "suggest" and "require" and RCI suggests formal attire. They do not require it.

Some of the guests walking around the ship between 6:00 and 11:00 in casual clothes may have chosen to eat in the WJ. They should not be included in the so call percent that do not dress in formal attire.

Can you tell I'm tired of comments about dress attire?

Can we ban ALL questions about dress attire and let everyone pack and wear whatever they want to wear?

Why do I even read "dress attire" threads?:rolleyes:

Actually that percentage is for those that are dressed up. Those wearing actual formal wear (tux and formal gown) is 13.84375921 %

That has been more accurate the last 5 cruises we have been on. Hardly anyone dresses "formal" but there will be some.

I already know my husband will REFUSE to wear a suit--even though he has a brand new one he'll probably never wear. :rolleyes: His standard "dress up" wear is simply a black dress shirt and black pants. Do they refuse entry in the MDR if you're not formal--or would that be good enough?

It definitely will be good enough. You will not be refused entry to a Royal Caribbean MDR dressed that way.

A while ago we sat next to a man on formal night in shorts and polo shirt. His wife was well dressed though. Ther man was treated well by the waiters and we enjoyed his company too. Nobody commented on his attire.

Nobody commented on his attire.

That you could hear!

I'm sure folks were thinking nasty thoughts and passing quiet but rather snide comments. The kind of dress you describe is simply not acceptable. The fact that the staff didn't have the guts to deny him entry does not mean his attire was acceptable.

That you could hear!

I'm sure folks were thinking nasty thoughts and passing quiet but rather snide comments. The kind of dress you describe is simply not acceptable. The fact that the staff didn't have the guts to deny him entry does not mean his attire was acceptable.

Out of 3,000 guests, I bet 5 thought what you think and the rest could care less what others are wearing.

Maybe his luggage was lost with his dress pants. I had a piece of luggage that took 4 days to catch up to me on a 12 night cruise. Luckily for me, I packed both day and evening wear in my carry on to last 4 days.

You certainly do not have to see all diners to estimate percentage in formal wear. Political polls in the US are frequently based on interviews with less than one hundredth of one percent of voters. Of course, to estimate within 7 decimal places requires a truly prodigious observer!

Bill

That you could hear!

Wow, you are quite a mind reader! You wouldn't mind passing along the winning loto numbers for tomorrow would you?

Yogimax, I think that is true in the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Mexico on 7 night or shorter cruises. I've observed that longer cruises, and cruises to other areas (especially Europe) there are more men in tuxes. European cruises have more European men on them, and most people in Europe are more fashion oriented, since it's a huge industry over there, especially in Italy.
If it's a longer cruise with three more formal nights, I'll take my dinner jacket as well, depending on the season or tropical clime. We dance, so we never change after dinner, as formal wear was made for dancing.

Even on ships with a lower percentage of men in tuxes, they all look like a million bucks, though! It's like seeing swans in a gaggle (correct term???) of geese!
I was thinking penguins, but swans work!!:D We even have a tuxedo kitty, although his manners are lacking.

I already know my husband will REFUSE to wear a suit--even though he has a brand new one he'll probably never wear. :rolleyes: His standard "dress up" wear is simply a black dress shirt and black pants. Do they refuse entry in the MDR if you're not formal--or would that be good enough?

No they do not refuse entry for just about everything. Your DH will be admitted and will not be the only adult male without a tie or coat. Many males will take their coat off and hang it on the back of their chair. I think all he needs besides that is a white collar! All that black....wow. I agree with him about the suit. I also refuse to wear a noose around my neck. I am retired.

It varies. How long a cruise and where does it depart from?

Exactly this - also what time of year you cruise. :)

Every cruise we've had has been different so there's no way to answer the question without knowing all the factors

Archived