7.4 earthquack today in Christchurch!

pj4jj

Thought the Europa was supposed to be there today???

Listing shows Asuka II due 23rd , PacificSun 25th and the Queen Mary II on Sat 26th.

If teh Europa was there sincerely hope all the passengers are OK, when we stopped off we loved the square at the Cathederal (climbed all 138 or so steps).

Chairlift OK I assume if the tunnel is OK.

The Cathedral spire/tower has collapsed, great shame as this is a Christchurch icon, but it's only a building. Latest figures say 65 confirmed dead, but will not doubt rise, as a lot are trapped or unaccounted for. Thoughts are with our South Island friends in these terrible times!

Really hoping all passengers are Ok. It's quite scary to see the footage - we were there for a day when the Volendam docked and in that day we visited so many of the places that are now destroyed or seriously damaged.

All passengers of the MS Europa are fine. They were on excursions and made it safely back to the ship. The ship had to leave the pier which was damaged in the quake. It is now on its way north.

This report was published in a Hamburg, Germany, newspaper.

We had the privilege of visiting Christchurch only three weeks ago when the Diamond Princess docked there. What an amazingly beautiful city and wonderfully friendly people. To see the devestation and hear of deaths and injury is just heartbreaking. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Christchurch.

What a frightening 24 hours. All of my family are safe and well and accounted for thank God. I was at home for lunch when this occured and I stood in the doorway crying as everything crashed down around me and I watched my street quickly flood with liquification. The structure of my house is fein thankfully - just lots of cleanup to do inside. I am with friends right now as no power or water at home. I don't know if I know anyone killed or missing at this stage but, as this is a small community, it's likely I will and my prayers are with those who have lost cloe friends or family members. This is just awful. Thank you for all your kind wishes.

kiwigirl1972..we are keeping you all in our prayers. I was so sorry to hear that you are going through this again and so soon. We loved your city when we were there and tried to meet for lunch in Nov.... Please keep me informed...my email is pamhj@sbcglobal.net

Take care

Hugs your way

Pam

Kiwigirl and everyone in Christchurch... we too are very sorry to hear what happened and our thoughts and prayers are with you. You were my first thought when I heard about the new earthquake (I was on the same cruise as pj4jj in Nov.) and I'm very happy to hear that you and your family are ok. The pictures being posted are almost unreal... :(

We're from Christchurch and felt it up here in Wellington. All the family is safe and accounted for.

The city was just getting back onto it's feet after the September quake too, businesses were reopening and the aftershocks were dying down. This is going to be mentally tough for those who have had a rough six months and didn't have much energy left.

Here's some views around the CBD

The city won't be a good place to visit for a couple of months, but I hope the cruisers will return, the economy has taken a beating aut the Christchurch people will need the visitors. They still have a lot to offer.

What a frightening 24 hours. All of my family are safe and well and accounted for thank God. I was at home for lunch when this occured and I stood in the doorway crying as everything crashed down around me and I watched my street quickly flood with liquification. The structure of my house is fein thankfully - just lots of cleanup to do inside. I am with friends right now as no power or water at home. I don't know if I know anyone killed or missing at this stage but, as this is a small community, it's likely I will and my prayers are with those who have lost cloe friends or family members. This is just awful. Thank you for all your kind wishes.

My heart goes out to you and everyone else affected by this tragedy.

My sister and BIL arrived in Christchurch on the 21st for five nights. Thankfully, for them, they were on an Arthur's Pass day trip and were out of the city on the 22nd. Unfortunately, they were not able to get back into their hotel to retrieve personal effects and are having to leave the country (2 weeks sooner than expected) with just the clothes on their backs and emergency passports. But, they will soon be home safe and sound and that is all that is important. Others may not be that lucky.

Please take care,

Sandy

Northern_Light - glad your family are safe and well and will be on their way home. It is pretty horrific here and I'm just glad to have somewhere to stay until we have power, water and sewage again. I think we are only just realising the exten of what happened on Tuesday and how much worse it was than the last one. The roads are a mess and half the city is covered in silt and sludge. This is not going to be a quick fix at all - our CBD is decimated. There are families waiting desperately for news of those trapped in buildings but it is not looking hopeful any more. Adrenalin is what is keeping us going at the moment.

Kiwigirl1972, so glad that you & yours are physically o.k. We have been frantic the last two days trying to get news of my New Zealand family/friends. I've always considered Christchurch my second home as I attended school & lived with a foster family there as a teenage AFS exchange student. We have stayed in touch & revisted NZ & Christchurch many times & they have visited us here. My Nelson "cousin" just e-mailed us that she has heard from one of my "sisters" & her family is o.k. & on their way to Amberly. Another cousin & their adult children from Lyttleton are on their way to Nelson. Most of their homes are uninhabitable because of the damage. I'm still on pins & needles to hear news about a cousin who lives in the Beckenham area & a sister from the Burnside area. The e-mails have related to us grave news about the devastation. Our prayers are with you all there in the Christchurch area.

Thank you Sheila and Kiwigirl1972.

Sometimes the world seems so large but when tragedy hits, we find out how small the world really is. We all seem to be connected one way or the other - thru family, personal friends, people met on cruises - so while terrible things can happen half a world a way, we can still offer words of support. Cruise Critic forums are a wonderful way for us to express our concern when things go wrong and to let those affected know that others do care. My thoughts are with the people of Christchurch as this cope with this crisis and to all New Zealanders.

Sandy

Thank you Sheila and Kiwigirl1972.

Sometimes the world seems so large but when tragedy hits, we find out how small the world really is. We all seem to be connected one way or the other - thru family, personal friends, people met on cruises - so while terrible things can happen half a world a way, we can still offer words of support. Cruise Critic forums are a wonderful way for us to express our concern when things go wrong and to let those affected know that others do care. My thoughts are with the people of Christchurch as this cope with this crisis and to all New Zealanders.

Sandy

Although I am in Auckland, as Kiwi's we have been overwhelmed with the International response to our plight in Christchurch. It has been very humbling.

Last time around the city coped well, although a lot of the repair work still had not happened when this one hit. And last time the jolt was such that the Kiwi family and the 'she will be right' attitude and the 'Number 8 wire' tenacity got us through, but this time, we have had to say, yes to help.

Within NZ the offers of help have been amazing. Students within Christchurch have once again formed small armys and they head to the suburbs each day in a planned and structured way to help communities. And this was all started last time thanks to the power of Facebook.

Our friends are safe, from the information we have heard but it will be a struggle.

It will not dampen our love for this wonderful country, but will unite and bind us all closer.

If you are interested in local information the best website is www.stuff.co.nz.

Archived