Question for my British friends

Giantfan13

We were having a discussion about McDonald's the other day about how they adjust their menus to reflect different locales that they may be in. We spent a week, last August in London, but since we don't eat meat, enver ventured near one. Do they serve a more British type of menu along with the prevalent Big Mac???

Cheers

Len

We were having a discussion about McDonald's the other day about how they adjust their menus to reflect different locales that they may be in. We spent a week, last August in London, but since we don't eat meat, enver ventured near one. Do they serve a more British type of menu along with the prevalent Big Mac???

Cheers

Len

No, they taste exactly the same.

Not only that...for the most part, at least as far as main dishes are concerned, the same holds for Germany, Poland, Czech Republic all places where I have dined at the golden arches....French ones seem a tad different but I can't put my hands on just why I feel that way

Incidentally, back in 1970 when Mickey D first opened up in NYC, they had to get special permission not to put mustard on the hamburgers sold there! Now that was a big deal.

Claim to fame!!

My dad was the Deputy Mayor of the London Borough of Greenwich in 1974-75, having been the Mayor the previous year. One of his duties was to open the very first McD in the UK which was (and still is) in Powis Street, Woolwich. He was offered a Big Mac and fries, took one bite, and never touched one again! Smart man my Dad!! When it was the 30th anniversary (in 2005), my Mum (Dad having passed away by then) recieved an invite to McD's 30th celebrations. She decided not to go!

Simon

Well I'm old enough to remember my first visit to London in 1971 as a student...no McDonald's (they weren't even really universal in the USA, they hit the NYC area first in late 1969)....the only hamburger joint was a place called Wimpy's......ugh ugh super ugh...McDonald's, of course, put them all out of business but I'll tell you if you're really home sick in London, there are a couple of places called Ed's...the hamburgers there remind me of the ones I used to get at diners pre McDonald's.....

Now, if I could only do it...I would love to open a White Castle in London.

No, they taste exactly the same.

Not only that...for the most part, at least as far as main dishes are concerned, the same holds for Germany, Poland, Czech Republic all places where I have dined at the golden arches....French ones seem a tad different but I can't put my hands on just why I feel that way

Incidentally, back in 1970 when Mickey D first opened up in NYC, they had to get special permission not to put mustard on the hamburgers sold there! Now that was a big deal.

Thanks for the info, but I didn't ask how they taste. I asked if they have a different type of menu other than what we, say, in NY might be used to.

I know, having just been in /Seattle, that they do serve different types of burgers in the northwest, and different types in the Southwest. Yes, a big Mac is a Big Mac, but they offer many other things with it, and also as other things on the menu, trying to appeal to that part of the country.

All I was asking was if they offer something more British on their menu.

Cheers

Len

How do you define British? Fish and chips? I may be very unpopular here with British friends but fast food in Britain is no different than fast food most places in the world...I just don't understand what is uniquely British cuisine...perhaps somebody can enlighten me. (pub grub I suppose.....)

Therefore the answer to your question is.....NO...there is nothing I can see at a McD in London that is "uniquely British." (after all, if locals wanted something uniquely British, why would they go to Mickey D?)

All I was asking was if they offer something more British on their menu.
I think that there are actually two questions wrapped up in this. First, is the McDonalds menu in the UK different from the McDonalds menu in other countries? Second, do those differences include anything specifically British?

The answer to the first question is yes. But that's not unique to the UK. After all, we all know what Pulp Fiction had to say about McDonalds in France.

The answer to the second question is a bit more tricky. The differences tend to be rather more generic. For example, there have been times when the menus in UK and other European McDonalds have included more healthy options than the US menus, which lagged behind in this respect: thus, I believe salads etc have been tried here earlier and more intensively than in the US. However, there's nothing specifically British about a salad.

There are some things which are more British in origin, although arguably not really British in feel. For example, UK McDonalds now sell Costa-branded coffee; however, although Costa is a brand originating in the UK, there's nothing uniquely British about their coffee. Similarly, I think that some of the fillings in McFlurries are British confectionery items, but I find it hard to distinguish one chocolate bar from another, let alone label a particular brand of confectionery as specifically having a British quality (as opposed to a British brand name).

Is that more like the information that you were looking for?

Hi, Len! Pictured below is the McDonald's directly across the street from Windsor Palace that we visited on June 30. It was early am before the Palace opened and my wife wanted coffee. Their menu was about the same as back in the US, but some of the names and titles were a little different. My wife also had some pancakes (so labeled). I had an item like an Egg McMuffin, but its name was phrased a little different. In blowing up one of the signs in the window, it appears that what we might call the Big Mac is called the "Big Tasty" there. Does this help a little?

I've also got a picture of a McDonald's in Bergen, Norway, in a 1700's wooden building near their famed harbor and Fish Market. Their windows were small and didn't show any titles for their offerings. Didn't go into that location.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

WindsorMcDonalds.jpg

I will answer for Germany. There isn't a quarter pounder, its called a MacRoyal or something like that. Then there is the fact that you have to BUY ketchup packets, they aren't given out if asked. Then there is the mayonnaise packets you can buy too, for your fries.

In Switzerland they had a seasonal offering of a swiss potato variation, Raclette (sp). They had JUST introduced shakes over there and this was only about 4 years ago.

I know that a few years ago McD's in our area, Chicago/Milwaukee, had bratwurst on the menu during football season, it was pretty good too!

I live in the town where the first McDonald's is located, funny to think its a museum now and we used to ride our bikes up there to get burgers.

first-mcdonalds.jpg

thanks guys, that was exactly the answers I was looking for. I realize that MacDonald's isn;t going to change their menu for each country, but they seem to add just a little something, to make what they sell, feel a bit more friendly to the clientele

Cheers

Len

thanks guys, that was exactly the answers I was looking for. I realize that MacDonald's isn;t going to change their menu for each country, but they seem to add just a little something, to make what they sell, feel a bit more friendly to the clientele

Cheers

Len

Well I do seen ti remember in Germany, they serve beer as well as soft drinks but I'm not sure they really feel it necessary to make it feel more friendly to the clientele; after all people are eating there because they want to eat American food and see American efficiency at work! (but then again when I go to McDonald's in London for breakfast because my hotel charges an arm and a leg for breakfast, I order a bacon, egg and cheese bagel. The bagel is certainly not a NY style bagel (no poppy seeds available)...the bacon is round and not really crisp...they also have something for breakfast that I think is more British than American called a bacon roll so I guess that's the difference...I've seen nothing on the non breakfast menu frankly different than a McDonald's back home really I haven't.

Let me tell you a fun story (I hope you're not offended)...about 4 or 5 years ago, I was on a coach tour in Krakow Poland. If you've never been on such a tour, the way it works is in each new burgh you get a local guide for a standard city tour in the AM, they free you for lunch and then it's up to you what you want to do in the PM, either an optional tour, shopping or back to the hotel. So, there we were at noontime in the main (I might say beautifully restored) square in Krakow. The guide is explaining all the new Polish restaurants ringing the square where the clients could have lunch and describing the dishes served (expensive too). Sarcastically sort of I said to the guide, yeah yeah and where is McDonald's. Without missing a beat she pointed and said right around the corner. But, the, she said, you don't want to eat there. I said why not. She said you don't know what you're going to get. I said to her, plesantly, I sure know what I'm going to get. I'm going to get a meal consisting of a quarter pounder with cheese, fries and a coke light. She said lots of luck. So, around the corner I went and I'll tell you, this place was JAMMED with locals. I bravely walked up to the counter and said in my best English, a cheeseburger royale meal please. The kid said what drink, I said a coke light, handed over my 100 zlotys and you kinow what I got...a quarter pounder with cheese, fries and a coke light. And I even got change back from my 100 zloty bill!

No, the locals really go to McDonald's for better or for worse because they don't particularly want local food.

BTW it tasted identical as if I had ordered it in NY (except the cheeseburger had mustard as well as ketchup, didn't know how to ask for one without mustard!)

I had an item like an Egg McMuffin, but its name was phrased a little different. In blowing up one of the signs in the window, it appears that what we might call the Big Mac is called the "Big Tasty" there.
The breakfast menu has the Sausage and Egg McMuffin and the Bacon and Egg McMuffin.

The Big Mac is (and has always been) the Big Mac here. A "Big Tasty" was probably one of their limited duration special items.

No, the locals really go to McDonald's for better or for worse because they don't particularly want local food.
Actually, if the local market behaviour is anything like that in the UK, the locals are more likely to be going there either because it's cheap, or because their kids are demanding to go there.

Cheers

Len

They just serve the same muck as you get in the US

100% beef is Hooves,Horns,Lips and Ears. :)

McDonald’s has a very sophisticated business model which uniquely tailors its product to match its local target market’s requirements and that is sympathetic to varying food requirements across its global empire..

Unfortunately it all just ends up tasting of cardboard.

I was with an American Group college group of about 25 in June on an English Literature field trip over here. We went to a pub for a traditional 'SundayEnglish roast ' dinner, a couple were worried as they were vegetarian.

It was actually quite a good meal to my eyes but about a third of the students only managed about half the meal leaving nearly al the vegetables. When I gently enquired if they were'nt hungry they said they were hungry but really wanted some 'proper' food like at McDonald's. The vegtarians seemed to be in cloud nine.

Similarly I've often picked up US people from their hotels in London first thing in the morning and the first request was to stop at the first 'McDonalds' where they can get a 'proper breakfast'.

As a European I've always struggled with the quality of food when in the US from a European perpective of what is good, healthy and tasty.

McDonald's does however set a universal global standard freely available. Bit like Coca Cola. In some cultures it seems to be viewed as the cheapest way to fill a hole and an early death, others the cool place for youngsters to hang out.

In a strange land McDonald's can often be the only thing that you know what you are getting, whether you are embarassed to admit you ate their offerings or otherwise.

Recently came back from a week in Paris and McDonalds were a godsend for public toilets well maintained - never got around to buying food though.

Can't understand why anyone would in Paris, but obviously has its market and fans.

As a European I've always struggled with the quality of food when in the US from a European perpective of what is good, healthy and tasty. McDonald's does however set a universal global standard freely available. Bit like Coca Cola. In some cultures it seems to be viewed as the cheapest way to fill a hole and an early death, others the cool place for youngsters to hang out. Recently came back from a week in Paris and McDonalds were a godsend for public toilets well maintained - never got around to buying food though. Can't understand why anyone would in Paris, but obviously has its market and fans.

Your posting, Len, has attracted a wide range of interesting and not so interesting comments and info. Agree that McDonald's can be good for their rest rooms. Being from the founding town for Wendy's, I'm not their biggest fan. Cardboard is not always my favorite. My wife, however, likes their coffee and their Filet of Fish isn't too bad for my interests, at times. Here are a couple of visual samples for how they, to their credit, do adapt to the architectural styles of certain towns in Europe.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Bergen, Norway, here is a McDonald’s in a 1700’s wooden building near the Fish Market.:

BergenMcDonalds.jpg

On the main street of Heidelberg, Germany, this McDonald’s has an interesting design that match the historic district where it is located.:

HeildGERMcDonalds.jpg

When cruising from Southampton, we always go to MacDonald's for breakfast, rather than eat in the hotel. We have porridge, and a bacon roll. It's a cheap meal; the porridge is by Quaker and the bacon seems to be back bacon, which is normal for an English breakfast ie. not crispy, and more like ham. With coffee, it comes to around £7, which is half the price of the cheapo- hotels where we stay.

Jo.

and that was exactly what I was asking for in my OP. It does seem as if Mcdonalds does offer certain options at different locales, to try and please the people who frequent it. sure you can always get the standard Big Mac if you please, but it's the additions that will try and make it more appealing to whatever country or place it was in.

We did stop at the Mcdonalds in paris, on the Champs Eylesse for the bathroom. we ended up buys an ice cream Sunday and eating it outside as they had set it up as a typical Paris outdoor cafe. this place was huge, 3 floors and packed to the gills.

Terry, great pix

Cheers

Len

I can only compare the UK ones to the New York & Florida ones, and there is very little difference.

Been to one in Paris but as I don't speak french, I have no idea if they served McFrogleg burgers, I just had a big mac!

Burger King in the states though.... I went for a Supersize, just for the hell of it... Needless to say I didn't even eat half of the burger :D

Archived