Question for my British friends

Giantfan13

Yes, there are variations at different McDonalds. Don't expect to find porridge on the Dutch or German breakfast menu. The German breakfast menu has real Nürnberger sausages, the French pancakes. Most cultural variations are in the McFlurry ice creams, as was mentioned before. In the Netherlands, they have stroopwafel (caramel syrup biscuit) in them, in Germany Ritter Sport Chocolat. The Oreo ones were taken out of the range in Germany and the Netherlands, due to no demand, but they seem to have them in France. The Dutch McD sell cartons of semi-skimmed milk, something I have not seen in many other countries. They also have a McKroket (a kroket is a typical dutch meat roll). The McDo in Malaysia offers sateh, the McDo in Latin America will have empanadas etc next to the Big Macs. The french Mac interestingly has the option of a Big Mac on a wholemeal bun, something I have not seen anywhere else.

If you are really interested, check out the local sites of McD. Every country has its own .nl .de .fr .es etc sites with product information.

Here is a big difference, however. In the USA, it's almost a given that whatever hotel or chain or whatever you stay at, free wifi will be included from the cheapest motel 6 through most Marriots. The exceptions are the more expensive business type hotels which cater to the expense account crowd.

OTOH in London and most of the UK,l you will find few hotels have free wifi (for some reason I have found almost all in Ireland do, however for whatever that is worth).

So the free wifi at Mickey D and at Starbucks come in very handy (unless yu spring for a stick modem).

intersting Matha531

As you say, just your observation. Our recent experience was different - we stayed in a number of different properties on our recent trip to the UK (and France, oh plus that Baltic cruise as well) and every place - B&Bs (Bath), flats (London, Paris, Edinburgh), pubs (Corbridge, Manchester), boutique and non-boutique hotels (Canterbury, Glasgow, Burnley) had free wifi.

Trying to think back to when I was first looking around and I'm pretty sure nearly every place we looked at had free wifi (we were very surprised as it's not common here at home), but then we weren't looking at chain hotels either

back to McDs - in Thailand I'm sure I remember a whole range of Asian condiments available on the bench where the serviettes and straws were

interesting thread Len

pete

Yes, there are variations at different McDonalds. Don't expect to find porridge on the Dutch or German breakfast menu. The German breakfast menu has real Nürnberger sausages, the French pancakes. Most cultural variations are in the McFlurry ice creams, as was mentioned before. In the Netherlands, they have stroopwafel (caramel syrup biscuit) in them, in Germany Ritter Sport Chocolat. The Oreo ones were taken out of the range in Germany and the Netherlands, due to no demand, but they seem to have them in France. The Dutch McD sell cartons of semi-skimmed milk, something I have not seen in many other countries. They also have a McKroket (a kroket is a typical dutch meat roll). The McDo in Malaysia offers sateh, the McDo in Latin America will have empanadas etc next to the Big Macs. The french Mac interestingly has the option of a Big Mac on a wholemeal bun, something I have not seen anywhere else.

If you are really interested, check out the local sites of McD. Every country has its own .nl .de .fr .es etc sites with product information.

Thanks, that is exactly what I thought. Great info

Cheers

Len

Archived