Ordering wine at large table

FLJudi

We plan to order bottles of wine for dinner and have requested a table for 8. We don't plan on getting a drink package. Any special etiquette for this? Just do it and not worry about it? See if anyone else wants a glass and hope they will reciprocate in kind on another night? Don't want to make a faux pas right off the bat.

that's a tough one, I know when we used a TA she sent us a bottle which we shared with the table, maybe order your wine, & ask if anyone would like a taste? That way you'll know if you're among fellow wine drinkers & hopefully if they share yours they'll return the favor.

Whenever DH and I sat at a larger table the Sommelier ask each couple if they wanted to order wine.

There was no need to feel you had to share with your table.

Of course, if you want to share you could definitely offer to share; however one bottle usually only has 4 glasses of wine in it, so there wouldn't be enough for the whole table and you may only end up with only one glass for yourself.

We plan to order bottles of wine for dinner and have requested a table for 8. We don't plan on getting a drink package. Any special etiquette for this? Just do it and not worry about it? See if anyone else wants a glass and hope they will reciprocate in kind on another night? Don't want to make a faux pas right off the bat.

Yes, as you stated.... just do it, and please do NOT think twice. Others at your table have their own preferences, and this would not be a faux pas by any means.

In fact, the sommelier will assume that the wine is for the individual/couple ordering it and not the whole table. If you want to share, you should ask the sommelier for glasses for the whole table which should be the signal for the other table guests to thank you.

Sue

As stated by others, when I order a bottle, the sommelier always assumes it is for you/partner. You can offer and if they take you up on it, hopefully, they will receprocate, but realize as in any similar situation, you've offered something with 'not strings attached' so you may not get a glass off them.

So don't worry about it - heck at a large table, we offered our friends a glass without making it a table-wide offer. Didn't make an annoucement or anything....just sharing with good friends and didn't feel I had to include the other 6-10 people. Don't think that is tacky, and think that should give you a cut on what is expected/proper and so on about sharing/not sharing at large tables.

One quick funny story: at a 4-table with friends. He'd ordered a bottle before we got there and asked if we'd like a glass. We did so. Loved the wine. When the sommelier returned, I asked for the same wine. When he brought the check, turned out it was a $100+ bottle....I almost choaked! Yes, I love wine, but not use to that level of expense. We all got a laugh when I realized our friends had ordered it without price-checking! We still laugh about me wanting him to order first and then I'll order the Ripple/Annie GreenSprings!

Denny

I have order bottles of wine on all my cruises, but to be honest, I never thought to offer a glass to my tablemates unless they were travelling with me. Most of the time, the other people at my table have purchased their own bottles of wine. I had one table where we got along so well, that we did take turns purchasing the wine each night. However, you may get some people at a table who will not reciprocate.

IMO one of the true joys of fine wine is sharing. However, if you share with the expectation that you will get "paid back" by the person you shared with then you are only opening your self up to dissapointment. I hope that is not the case, I know if it were me I would try to more than make up for the generosity you have shown.

B.

If the other diners at your table aren't in your party by offering to "share your wine with them" may make them uncomfortable. While I understand your good intention I wouldn't worry in the least. Order what you want for your party - that's what everyone does. Have fun

Eons ago when we first started cruising, I offered wine to the others at the table. Everyone always wanted to try. No one ever reciprocated. I usually had 1 glass out of the bottle. So, now I just order for us, even tho I have at times felt a little uncomfortable. Nowadays, the waiter just assumes it is for you alone. Makes it easier to order what you want. More people drink wine now, so they know what they want, & do not expect you to provide it. Drink up!!

There is no need to offer your wine to the others at the table. Everyone knows how much that damn wine costs...no one should expect to be "treated" to someone else's wine.

While you may LOVE your tablemates, this isn't a dinner party...you didn't invite them...so, enjoy their company while enjoying your own beverage of choice!

we always prefer to sit at the larger tables. Sometimes the others at the table do not order any wine / drinks. Other times, we all order our own adult beverage of choice. Sometimes we discuss what we are drinking, and may offer to share - more as a wine tasting.

We drink wine each night, but are not offended when others at our table do not offer to share with us.

My husband and I seldom drink wine. We were at a table with 3 other couples who all drank wine with every meal. Each couple ordered their own bottle and no one thought anything else about it. As we were celebrating our 40th anniversary we ordered 2 bottles that night and shared with the table. They appreciated it and celebrated with us. We didn't feel left out or slighted because they didn't offer to share with us. We thought it was nice that they were enjoying our company without any you buy we'll buy scenearios(spelling?)

There is no need to offer your wine to the others at the table. Everyone knows how much that damn wine costs...no one should expect to be "treated" to someone else's wine.

While you may LOVE your tablemates, this isn't a dinner party...you didn't invite them...so, enjoy their company while enjoying your own beverage of choice!

I agree with this also, and I would never expect someone to share their wine with me. You enjoy your wine :)

On the Summit December 2008 we brought some very nice wines from home since it was a holiday cruise...we shared and our table mates could not reciprocate since no wines on the list were as special as ours...but of course when they did offer we accepted. We will be traveling with two of our table mates again on the Summit in April and we asked for a table for 4 so we don't have to share! HAH! Donna

Unless you are traveling with your tablemates in a host/guest relationshiip, there is no reason to offer your wine. Of course you can, but it's not expected.

HOWEVER, we will be traveling with (ie: paying for) our 26 and 21 year old daughters in December and they are welcome to treat us to a bottle of wine (hint, hint :D), Although it will probably end up on our account anyway....

Cheers!

Sara

Archived