Most awkard moments during dinner

chrisxmoa

Never really had an "awkward" moment! I guess you're referring to tablemates....maybe we've been lucky, or maybe we just get along with almost anyone, but we've "hit it off" with all of our tablemates over the years.

We have had some waiters that were less than stellar, but that's to be expected.

Well, it wasn't awkward so much as hysterical... On our Rhapsody cruise the maitre d' had visited our table of 8 (4 couples that had never met before) to introduce himself and chatted for a good 5 minutes. He left us, went to the next table to do the same, then promptly turned around and started the same spiel all over again with us. We were all laughing so hard we couldn't breathe and he couldn't figure out what was wrong with us. It was a great ice-breaker for our table and we had some wonderful dinners together.

On a cruise we took on RCCL, we had never seen the maitre'd all week. The last night he came over to talk to us, and then came back and gave us an autographed placement! Seriously he took a paper placement and autographed it for us like he was George Clooney or something.

We thanked him and then threw it in the trash in our stateroom.

Ours would be when one of our fixed seating table mates (a 13 year old boy) showed up for formal night in Crocs, a t-shirt and shorts. That helped convince us that open dining is really a good thing.

Kirk

He didn't get to stay,did he? :eek:

On a cruise we took on RCCL, we had never seen the maitre'd all week. The last night he came over to talk to us, and then came back and gave us an autographed placement! Seriously he took a paper placement and autographed it for us like he was George Clooney or something.

We thanked him and then threw it in the trash in our stateroom.

What's a paper placement?

Some years ago we were seated with four Italian Americans for dinner, and, while they were reasonably friendly, it was most annoying when the head waiter made his rounds, again, and again, and again. He was Italian, and that was all that the five of them spoke, for up to fifteen minutes at each dinner.:eek:

john

An apparently new assistant waiter was opening a bottle of champagne at our table, popped the cork and it hit one of our tablemates in the face. :eek:

He apologized profusely, as did the head waiter, etc. We had alll quietly chuckled at his blunders all week until this - she could have been really injured if it had hit her in the eye or the temple. We all just sat in stunned silence for a moment, then tried to make sure she was okay. It was a pretty awkward moment.

I have had horrible luck with tablemates....or maybe I don't suffer fools well..:rolleyes:

On my first Carnival cruise (xmas gift from DH) with a girlfriend, we were assigned a table with two other couples. One were newlyweds who we never saw;) and the other were a pair of girlfriends...except one of them missed her flight and the ship. So, we had to hear 1. all about her missing friend and 2. how lonely she would be during the whole cruise. We asked for a different table after the first night.

On my second Carnival cruise (another xmas gift), a different girlfriend and I were paired with a woman who had a service dog. This was a really small dog supposed to detect her seizures. Should not have been a problem except she put the dog on the table!:eek: We left the table before dessert and never sat with her again. Sadly, we kept running into her around the ship, and the dog was always on a chair or table. Once she put the dog on the buffet table tray rails! After that, we complained to the service desk.

On our last cruise, DH and I were placed with a woman and her two daughters who shared all the "fascinating" details about their medical issues and treatments...which I must say were varied and juicy. Total ICK!:mad: We left and went to the Seaview Cafe and scrounged a brownie for dessert. Our second table assignment was fine, but we were very cautious to steer away from any medical discussions!

We have already booked MTD for the next cruise, but hope to meet some nice tablemates at the M&M. Hope springs eternal!:p

My one and only awkward moment was on a HAL cruise with my sister and brother in law. We had a couple sit with us, who for whatever reason thought we were beneath them socially. They would not talk to us at all, even though we tried several times.

I'm thinking it was because my BIL looks like a mountain man, only his beard is gray. Half way through the meal they called the maitre'd over and said (in front of us). This arrangement will never work, we want another table now. It was quite amusing really.

Long story short, maitre'd apoligized. Another couple invited themselves to sit with us, and wine steward brought us over a complimentary bottle of wine to share with our new tablemates.

Rest of the cruise was awesome.

Our awkward moment was one of our own making.

We were traveling with our friends and one of them isn't proficient in English - he speaks it but he has some trouble in a group setting. So we requested a table for 4 in the dining room for late seating.

Anyway, we arrived the first night and saw that it was a table for 8 with 2 other couples who didn't know each other. We took one look at them and all of us marched off to see the maitre d'.:o

He told us that he would see what he could do for the rest of the 12-day cruise but that it was kinda late for that night. So we returned, redfaced, and explained to the others the reason we had taken off. (We did have fun with them that night - they were very nice people, but the guy who didn't speak much English was a bit out of his element.)

The next day we get a call saying that our request for a table for 4 was granted. We arrive in the dining room to find that the new table is right beside the previous night's one!

I did go over and explain to the other couples, but it was embarrasing anyway.

:cool: On rc 2 yrs. ago we had our 2 & 3 yr. olds the 1st night and before we even sat down the woman got up and walked straight to the maitre'd. Granted, we shouldn't have been seated with an older couple, but she could have been more discreet.

We ate the rest of the cruise in the WJ and loved it. The kids made a lot of friends with the crew in there.:cool:

I was probably the cause for some consternation in a Trans-Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity Millenium. At our table for 6, I discovered that one gentleman worked at the same company as I did (in different locales), and, as things happened, many of our conversations degenerated into 'shop talk'. Must have beenb terribly boring to everyone else at the table

On the other hand, on the Independence, we were at a table with 4 generations (great grandmother, grandfather, mother, daughter) of a family from Belgium. Only the mother spoke much English, yet we all had such a great time

After dinner on day 1, we went searching for our head waiter in an attempt to make a change from the 6 top we were assigned. Our table consisted of DH & myself 50+, 2 sisters 40+, & 2 single males 20+. The guys weren't cruising together, had no table manners, & were disgusting! :eek:

When we found him, the sisters had beat us to it & were making the same request. The ship was sailing at capacity & there were only 2 seats available at either sitting. This was prior to open seating, specialty restaurants, & buffets available for dinner.

The head waiter, & the waiter who joined the conversation, were beside themselves. The 4 of us agreed to stay put & arranged to meet outside the dining room at mealtime. If we intended to have breakfast or lunch at the buffet, we let the others know & they would join us so we never got stuck alone with the [disgusting] guys.

We ended up taking all our meals with the sisters, going to other activities with them as well, & had a great cruise. BUT, from then on, we started requesting a 2 top when we cruise alone or a table for the size of our party when traveling with friends or family!

a couple of years ago my friend and I went for a spur of the moment cruise for my 50th birthday. We got an unbelieveable deal 6 weeks prior to the cruise! We noticed lots of people around us wearing a wrist ban, and a lot of peculiar behaviors that we soon associated with the wrist bands, but we did not know what they were for (we did not have wrist bands. We 2 were seated at a table for 8 and the first night only one other newlywed couple showed up and they promptly requested another table for 2.

What happened was our great deal was left over cabins from a group of singles that shared the same religion and most met on the internet from all over the country. Our room and dinner assignment were based as part of the "group" without actually being in the group. Our dinner table was mixed in with the rest of the group trying to "meet" other people. We just laughed each night as we watched everyone switch table to table, hooking up one night and then someone else the next night. There was some sort of sign on each of the tables to signify you were part of the group, therefore looking to meet people. It seems within the group there was open seating. The men would cruise past our table each evening looking for the notification that we were the next pick up! I'm talking young men, along with very old men.

It was one cruise I will never forget. The waiter and matre de spent quite a bit of time laughing each night with us due to those circumstances. We did have a good time though.

We were traveling with our two teen boys and were seated at an 8 top with another family with two teen boys. Everyone started out on their best behavior, but the week slowly revealed this was an attempt to save a marriage and family. Arguments, drinking and by the last night only the oldest son joined us at dinner, in tears. He explained the entire drama, and that the only part of the cruise that had been positive was the time he spent with us at dinner. We alerted the crew, we were concerned about his safety, he was clearly upset and had slammed his hand into something in frustration resulting in a possible fracture. We have cruised twice since then, opted for free-style dining on NCL and traveled with group of 10 on Celebrity.

Overall our positive experiences with table mates on 6 previous cruises have greatly outnumbered this tragic experience.

On our first ever cruise, we were put at a table with 3 other couples, all about the same as us. One of the couples has recently had a miscarriage and decided to take a cruise to help them cope with it. The wife was drunk the entire cruise. The first night, she came to dinner wasted and told us the entire story about how and why she lost her baby.

Then, the second night, one of the couples (honeymooners) we talking about the wedding and the drunk girl asked to see the ring. She about yanked the ring off the honeymooners finger.

We now request tables for two.

While on a cruise with my husband, we decided to request a large table for dinner and were pleased that we had a table for 10. What fun.. we can make new friends! Of course, as is my nature, we were the first to arrive. The second two to arrive were two men who grumbled a little but said hello and sat down. Another couple of men showed up, and so on and so on. None of them said a word to us and I could feel the tension building very quickly. A couple of them got up to talk to the head waiter but DH and I figured out our problem very quickly. They were a group of men "couples" and while they may have enjoyed my husbands company, they certainly didn't want me!

We got up and left, feeling a bit shunned, but were quickly seated at a table for 8 with a great group of folks who welcomed us warmly.

Archived