Most awkard moments during dinner

chrisxmoa

Several years ago we had a table for 4 on the Radiance. One night we noticed our companions across the table suddenly start staring behind us just as all sorts of commotion started - yelling, chairs scraping, etc. By the time we turned around, there were so many people standing up that we couldn't see what had happened - luckily, as it turned out. Apparently one person at the table behind us had "upchucked" at the table. Within minutes, there were ship's personnel in face masks and white coveralls that looked like something out of a science fiction movie clearing everyone away from the table. They then scooped up the entire contents of the table - linens, dishes, etc., and emptied it into a heavy plastic bag. The whole area was then roped off. It was all over in about 5 minutes. That table was roped off and not used for several days. We were glad to see that they had procedures in place to handle such a situation - I'm sure it's part of their routine to help prevent the spread of norovirus. Did sort of ruin our appetites that night though.

Two large table stories:

1. We asked for table for 8, traditional late seating. The first night two women traveling together were seated with us at table for 8. No one else showed up all week. So just the ladies, DH, and myself.

2. January this year traveling with another couple and asked for large table, 8 or 10, late seating in traditional dining. First night the four of us were seated at a table for four. Went to maitre d the next day to change seating arrangements to large table. Dinner that night we were at a table for 10, but again just the four of us (we had a good laugh). The next night was set for 8, but no one else showed up the rest of the nights. Our wonderful server said the table was full. Luckily another couple from our roll call was able to join us for dinner some of the remaining nights.

13 yrs ago Carib cruise, Trad late seating, first night table for eight.The Maitre D

asked us pointing out the table "would this be OK"

We were seated with two of the best parents ever,they had adopted their two downs syndrome children 20 yrs ago.Both the boys and their parents enriched our lives.

The last two seats remained empty for the duration. We condemned the other pax, they did not.

We love meeting up with other passengers and usually ask to share a table until a few weeks ago!! One lady at the table ordered a salad as her starter and when the waiter set it down she actually screamed at him "What do you expect me to do with that"?? I can't eat that!! The poor guy asked what else she would like while I think I was in shock as was hubby.

She was a real pain in the rear and complained throughout the entire meal and from that night on we asked for a table for two as we just didn't want to be put beside them again.

I wish I had said to her that evening that the waiter only brought what she ordered and there was no need to be so rude but I was so taken aback at her outburst I was speechless.

At least out of 14 cruises that has been the worst we have come across.

We love meeting up with other passengers and usually ask to share a table until a few weeks ago!! One lady at the table ordered a salad as her starter and when the waiter set it down she actually screamed at him "What do you expect me to do with that"?? I can't eat that!!

I would have told the waiter to give it to me.

I would have eaten it and told everyone how delicious it was ... probably the best salad I have ever had.

I would also have told that woman her ignorance was apalling.

We love meeting up with other passengers and usually ask to share a table until a few weeks ago!! One lady at the table ordered a salad as her starter and when the waiter set it down she actually screamed at him "What do you expect me to do with that"?? I can't eat that!! The poor guy asked what else she would like while I think I was in shock as was hubby.

She was a real pain in the rear and complained throughout the entire meal and from that night on we asked for a table for two as we just didn't want to be put beside them again.

I wish I had said to her that evening that the waiter only brought what she ordered and there was no need to be so rude but I was so taken aback at her outburst I was speechless.

At least out of 14 cruises that has been the worst we have come across.

Tudorcruisers -- I think you did absolutely the right thing. Getting moved to another table was imperative, since there was no indication that her behavior would improve anytime soon. But, I also think that nothing would have been accomplished by calling her out on her rudeness to the waiter. The woman (wouldn't call her a lady) is obviously a grown-up. She knew her behavior was rude -- she just didn't care, and nothing you could have said would have changed that. So, good for you! :cool:

So on my last cruise we chose just to have a table for us (4 top with DH, DD & DS)

Two tables over you could hear how drunk they all were...then the conversation led into magic and how they could do better than the show on the ship.

Yup, you guessed it - one of the bravado men yanked the tablecloth out while YELLING "TAAA-DAAA!", but "amazingly" it didn't have the same effect they thought it would have?!

Never did see them again...:rolleyes:

So on my last cruise we chose just to have a table for us (4 top with DH, DD & DS)

Two tables over you could hear how drunk they all were...then the conversation led into magic and how they could do better than the show on the ship.

Yup, you guessed it - one of the bravado men yanked the tablecloth out while YELLING "TAAA-DAAA!", but "amazingly" it didn't have the same effect they thought it would have?!

Never did see them again...:rolleyes:

My jaw just hit the floor imaging all those dishes doing the same.

Thanks for some good laughs in this thread, I've needed them :D

My most awkward moment was in the Anytime Dining on an Alaska cruise -- got seated beside "Mrs Very Important who Knows Everything and is ANGRY" for what seemed like 8 hours but turned out to only be 1.5 hours for dinner ..... she spent the entire time disagreeing with me, telling me I knew nothing about cruising, nothing about Alaska and most CERTAINLY nothing about the cruise ship we were on (my 5th or 6th trip to Alaska, 4th trip within 18 months on the ship we were on :rolleyes: to a few destinations). So I just shut up, became a good listener, let her carry on with her verbal abuse, and (from the relieved look on her husband's face) gave her husband a couple of hours' break.

Sigh.... ;)

On our recent cruise one morning a woman (alone) was seated at our table, and she brought out one of those pill containers that has the 7 days worth of pills in it. I thought that was odd, not particularly offensive...but then she brought out eye drops and proceeded to put them in both eyes. Now that, I thought, was more politely done in privacy. Later in the meal, she coughed right in my face. I really tried to avoid eating with her again...we did, but nothing icky occurred.

My husband is an insulin dependent diabetic, and I asked him what he thought about people giving themselves shots (with traditional needles) at the table. His comment was that it is tacky.

My most awkward dinner moment was actually a series of moments. I'm a 50-year-old woman and I was traveling on a cruise with my mother. Our dinner table included three married couples. two and a half of whom were very nice. But the man who sat across from my mother was absolutely obsessed with finding out why I'm not married. There's no particular mystery to it; it just has not happened for me. But he couldn't accept that as an answer and kept asking, every single night, often multiple times. He asked me; he asked my mom; he announced (much to the embarrassment of his wife) that HE would marry me. Everyone, including his wife, asked him to stop. He wouldn't stop. EVERY night, he would say, "I know I'm not supposed to ask you this, but why aren't you married?"

Ah, there's a Yiddish word for that guy: nudnik. My hubby could probably come up with an even better word for that as he actually knows the language.

I think if he was my hubby, I would have kicked him under the table and then tell him let's change the subject (our cue in our family if there's a need to stop talking about a topic is: "How about those Dodgers?").

It reminds me of a college friend who had a really loud voice and would often talk about inappropriate topics (in terms of the audience). Describing her to somebody, I once said, "April would start talking about her favorite birth control method...in front of a group of nuns."

My dad, who is very straightforward normally a no nonsense sort of person, jumped into the dance line without being asked to do so during dinner and proceeded to shake and dance his way around the dinning room along with the people who was actually pulled into the dance line. He has a bad knee so when he got low he almost didn't get back up without teetering and almost falling upon a table of people. It was the coolest moment of our cruise and the funniest.

On one cruise we were seated at a two top with two more tables for two in a row. We noticed that the two couples occupying the other two tables were hitting it off and chatted throughout their dinner. One couple finished a bit earlier than the other and left to catch a show and as soon as they had left, the remaining husband started berating and dissing the other couple and his wife. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when they seemed like such a nice, genuine couple. I so wanted to tell the wife to divorce him and run. What an idiot.

I used to joke about "going postal," until one day I was the victim of a disgruntled ex-employee coming back to work for revenge. Thankfully, no one was hurt, but you will never hear those words come out of my mouth ever again. It is scar that never completely heals, but you are certainly better able to cope with time passage. Every time there is a workplace or school shooting occurs it comes back, but the nightmares don't anymore.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Tudorcruisers -- I think you did absolutely the right thing. Getting moved to another table was imperative, since there was no indication that her behavior would improve anytime soon. But, I also think that nothing would have been accomplished by calling her out on her rudeness to the waiter. The woman (wouldn't call her a lady) is obviously a grown-up. She knew her behavior was rude -- she just didn't care, and nothing you could have said would have changed that. So, good for you! :cool:

There's a saying - if someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are NOT a nice person.

There's a saying - if someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are NOT a nice person.

Probably because they have eaten quite a bit of snot and spit in their lifetime.

Number one rule in life, never mistreat anyone that brings you your meals.

Probably because they have eaten quite a bit of snot and spit in their lifetime.

Number one rule in life, never mistreat anyone that brings you your meals.

The same goes for those who handle your bags.:)

john

I recall some 'awkward moments' on a Princess ship several years ago. We were at a table for six, and our table mates were Italian / Americans, out of New York. The were reasonably friendly, if a little difficult to understand, but the problem was our head waiter. He was also Italian/American, but when he came to our table each evening, we were ignored, while he and the other couples spoke in Italian, for at least five minutes each night.

john

We cruised to Alaska with friends we had never travelled with before. We specifically asked for a table for 4 near the back window of the Infinity. As we approached our table, we knew we were in for trouble. It was a table for 8. We were the first ones there and had already decided that we were going to ask for a different table after that meal. We introduced ourselves to the two other couples that joined us, were polite and made small talk (thats why I personally am not a big fan of sitting with strangers) but never mentioned to them that we had asked for a table of 4 and would trying to switch to our original request.

Well we were easily able to change our table to the 2nd floor of the dining room but amazingly enough in a ship of over 2000 people, we ran into these two couples on a daily basis. In the theatre, the specialty restaurant, on a funicular in Alaska, in the lounge for disembarkation and finally a day after the cruise was over at an outdoor restaurant in Vancouver. We were snubbed each time even though we tried to smile and be polite. I didnt think we needed to tell them we were moving or provide rationale. Perhaps in hindsight we should have to avoid.

They are probably STILL trying to figure out what they did to offend you so badly that you would change tables. It would have been really nice of you to tell them.

Archived