Kid's program

Abroo

Hi! We are considering our first cruise this winter, and I had a question about the RCCL Kid's program. It seems to be divided based on their ages - and all the kids with us would fall in the different age groups (1 in 3-5, 1 in 6-8 and 1 in 9-11). Is it possible for them to stay together, even though they are not in the same age group?

Thanks!

Sure, just not in Adventure Ocean.

Think about this, do you really want your 5 year old listening to teen angst conversations, or roughhousing with the 10 year olds?

No, the kids programs are very strict about their age divisions with good reason. There are fables on the boards about some children being very close in age to the next bracket getting moved up, or on a cruise with very few children the age groups to sometimes get combined. But as a rule no.

daze

When we went on our first cruise my children were 7 and 9. I told them that they would be in different groups, thinking that they would be upset. They looked at me and said, "We'll make new friends". And that is exactly what they did.

The activies in the Kid's Club are gaged to the different age groups. I bet your kids will make new friends and have a great time.

There are fables on the boards about some children being very close in age to the next bracket getting moved up, or on a cruise with very few children the age groups to sometimes get combined. But as a rule no.

daze

And certainly not across three different age groups. An 8 year old MIGHT get permission to go with the 9-11's, or a 5 year old MIGHT get permission to be with the 6-8's, but that's about it.

They'll have PLENTY of "together" time when they're not doing the activities. They'll be fine...they aren't in the same school class (unless you're home-schooling) and they do fine, don't they? If they are "home-schooled", here's their chance to "spread their wings" a bit...they don't have to stay all day long, but it's good for kids to do things independently!

We traveled on Voyager when my granddaughters were 5.9 yrs and 8. That would have put them in different age groups. At her parents request, they had the 5.9 yr old "try" the younger group for an hour to assess her maturity. She clearly did not belong with the 3-5 year olds (who were mostly little three yr old boys) and allowed her to move into the 6-8 year old group. She did very well with the older kids. When we were on Freedom this summer, they were 7 and 9. Her parents knew the 7 year old did not belong with the 9-11 year olds and did not even make a request. Too much of an age difference. The girls did not care that they were split (for the first time in 5 cruises.) I would say it all depends are where the kids fall within their age groups and how mature they are. I have found the kid's club to be top notch and most accommodating. The girls never wanted to leave and begged to stay past 10 pm every night. I could go on and on about why cruising with kids is the BEST vacation out there! You and your family will have a blast.

Thanks for the replies. The kids are cousins and are meeting after a while - so was wondering if they could do the program together. Also, my almost 5 yr old is painfully shy and does better in settings where she knows someone.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the replies. The kids are cousins and are meeting after a while - so was wondering if they could do the program together. Also, my almost 5 yr old is painfully shy and does better in settings where she knows someone.

Thanks for the help.

This is a tough call. An almost 5 yr old is still a four year old and would probably not do well in a group with 6-8 year olds. That's a four year gap to the older kids. I doubt the counselors would even allow it. If your 6-8 year old even falls in the mid range, (s)he would not fit in with 3-5 year olds. My suggestion is to go to the counselors with your dilemma and allow them to make suggestions. They come across these issues all the time.

Isn't there a family party the first night. Go and introduce them to another child in that age group. Go to roll call and see if you can find someone else with a child that age and start talking about it. My son is shy but I have learned after 5 min with me in any group and then he is fine if I leave.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think will check with the counsellers about this & also about activities that the groups may do together.

Thanks a bunch!

You'll be in good shape. The kids clubs is one of the areas where RCCL shines. To be quite honest, we probably would have chose another cruise line this year if it wasn't for our kids enjoying the kids club so much. The counselors are friendly and professional. They will be able to work something out to make both you and your child happy.

My kids would also be in different groups (14, 11, 2.5). How strict are they about the age 3 cut-off? My 2.5 yo is potty trained and since she goes to daycare already has the experience with following along with planned activities, etc. Do you think they would let her participate if there are activities she would like to do? Also, do they announce the schedule for the kids' clubs so perhaps if my kids want to be with me most of the day but maybe there's some short activity that's planned that they want to do, can they just pop in and out?

Thanks for the help.

Our five year old was a month shy of her 6th birthday so we thought she might move up to the 6 year old group after her 'trial' at the 3-5 group. Well, once she tried the 3-5 group, she was hooked!! We asked her if she wanted to move but she decided she preferred her correct age group. The Adventure Ocean said she could move but thought the 3-5 group would be better because it wasn't as crowded. Our daughter went to club three times a day and we actually had to keep saying to the staff that it was her choice and we weren't dumping her. We actually had to beg her not to go sometimes so we could spend time with her. Our son, aged 9 loved the clubs as well.

I think your daughter should be fine. The staff are so experienced with working with kids they will do their best to look after them from the first time they go. We also went to the welcome night to let our kids see the club before they started. The kids get to do lots of different things and depending on what ship, they might even show up on the main stage of the theatre. If you speak to your cabin attendant, they will also leave copies of the Adventure Ocean programmes for each age group in your stateroom each night.

Have a great cruise!!

My kids would also be in different groups (14, 11, 2.5). How strict are they about the age 3 cut-off? My 2.5 yo is potty trained and since she goes to daycare already has the experience with following along with planned activities, etc. Do you think they would let her participate if there are activities she would like to do? Also, do they announce the schedule for the kids' clubs so perhaps if my kids want to be with me most of the day but maybe there's some short activity that's planned that they want to do, can they just pop in and out?

My understanding is that they enforce the 3 yr old minimum in kids club. I would think it might be a liability to allow younger children to participate.

There is a schedule published for the kids club so you can pop in and out as something of interest comes up.

It's a GREAT program!

Just got off the Serenade. They indicated they have some flexibility for allowing those under three to participate if they are potty trained. However, my 2 year and 7 month old did not fall into that area of flexibility. I think they may allow someone who is 2 years 11 months and 20 days to participate, however.

Oh, and on the Serenade where there is never any kids especially after school has started: 45 kids were on the ship in the 3-5 year age group.

Our boys were 8 and 10 when they went on their first cruise (Mariner) a year and a half ago. They allowed the 8 year old to move up. He was only just 8 a few weeks before we went, so wasn't even close to 9. This year they were in the same group anyway, but next year the wee one wil still be in the kids club and the older one will be in the young teens group. Not sure how that will work, but I am sure they will have fun anyway.

Archived