Serenade of Seas or Carnival Liberty (traveling w/ children??)

ramby

Any input would be appreciated. Looks like both ships have water slides/activities for our active boys. I have read that the cabins on Carnival are nicer and that the food is better than on Royal Caribbean. But I have also read that Royal Caribbean has a more elegant experience. Any feedback? Thanks!

We also looked at both. I read a lot of reviews and posts here on CC and in the end we chose Royal Caribbean - it just seemed like the people that were cruising Royal Caribbean were looking for more of a laid-back experience as opposed to a party atmosphere. We are trying to avoid the loud obnoxious drunk people, kids running rampant unsupervised, that kind of thing. I know it can/does occur anywhere/anytime, but we choose to go when school is in session to avoid most of the kids, and hopefully by choosing Royal Caribbean we'll be avoiding some of the more avid drunks - we're keeping our fingers crossed anyway.

I'm not sure that the Serenade water slide is really "all that", the ones on the Carnival ships look much better, but to be honest our cruise is so port-intensive that I don't think it's going to matter all that much. And there is plenty of other stuff to do, our 9yo son will be able to keep busy with the mini-golf, rock climbing wall, etc. Hopefully he'll enjoy the Adventure Ocean, kids clubs generally don't interest him at the resorts we've gone to.

Good luck with your decision!

It will be an either/or decision...both ships will give you a great family vacation. As far as RCI being more "elegant"....the decor is less..."frantic" than on Carnival, but the over-all experience should be about the same!

It's true---Carnivals cabins are larger than most of RCI's...and the slides are larger on Carnival.... Carnival is no more a "party ship" than RCI!!!

Food---well, that's a toss-up. Tastes vary!

I don't think you'll go wrong on either line/ship!

Thanks for your replies. Hmmm. So the crowd is similar on both CCL and RCI? I guess my biggest concern at this point is the quality of the food, both at the buffet and MDRs. For some reason I am picturing nursing home food on RCI and Applebees on Carnival!

I find RCI's food to be mostly very good. And you can always order another dish if the one you get is not to your liking. The last couple of years RCI has been doing very well with their beef dishes. Hardly "nursing home" food as there is always an Indian dish offered on the dinner menu and oriental/Indian dishes at lunch in the Windjammer. Now, I think the hamburgers in the WJ are awful, but you can get a good one from room service.

I find RCI's food to be mostly very good. And you can always order another dish if the one you get is not to your liking. The last couple of years RCI has been doing very well with their beef dishes. Hardly "nursing home" food as there is always an Indian dish offered on the dinner menu and oriental/Indian dishes at lunch in the Windjammer. Now, I think the hamburgers in the WJ are awful, but you can get a good one from room service.

How in the world can they mess-up a hamburger???!!

Thanks for your replies. Hmmm. So the crowd is similar on both CCL and RCI? I guess my biggest concern at this point is the quality of the food, both at the buffet and MDRs. For some reason I am picturing nursing home food on RCI and Applebees on Carnival!

I suggest that you read the first post of this thread. The OP did not dine in any specialty resturants.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1273783

Right, but I'm assuming that since the Oasis is Royal Caribbean's pride and joy that the food is better on that ship than it is on other Royal Caribbean ships (or am I incorrect)?

Incorrect. The menus are exactly the same on all RCI ships. Yes food can vary from ship to ship because you have a head chef that may do things a little differently but nothing major.

Archived