? about new price protection policy...

lysolqn

I know for all reservations made after May 17(?) X will no longer issue a refund in the form of onboard credit in the event of a price reduction after final payment has been made. But once you've made final payment, will they still allow you to upgrade to a higher category if that category is reduced to the same or less than you initially paid for your lesser category cabin? Our final payment date is almost upon us and there seem to be a lot of cabins still unsold. My guess is there's going to be a price reduction after the final payment or perhaps an Xciting Deal. Of course the OBC refund is out but how about upgrading? Thanks.

Yes, you can either upgrade if the price of the better cabin is the same or less than yours, or you can upgrade and pay any difference if the price is higher than yours. If you don't have anything to lose, such as a preferred cabin or OBC, you may think about canceling your current booking and wait to see if a price reduction or Xciting Deal comes around after your final payment due date, bearing in mind that the Xciting Deals are almost always for new bookings only.

Last Friday, I called about the newest promotion - buy one, get one half off - and was told I could get it. So I called my TA and told her to get me the deal. She called and was told it was for new bookings only. Her response was, "You've got to be kidding. In August, you gave him the $150 OBC promotion that was supposed to be for new bookings only, so what's the problem now?" Although I have read of many people getting the deal since Friday on these boards, after three calls from my TA and three from me, I still have nothing to show for it. Since I booked before May 17th, I'm fairly confident I will get OBC from any price drops after I make my final payment in two weeks. But in the future, I think I'll take my chances and wait to the last 60 days before I book because I hand pick my cabins and won't necessarily be happy with an upgrade.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately our cruise wasn't included in the buy one/get one half off offer. I will, however, continue to watch for lower fares after the final payment date in case we become eligible for an upgrade at no extra charge. Still not sure that will work for us since we're taking advantage of American Express Platinum perx which already gives us a two-category upgrade. Our experience has been that Celebrity is pretty quirky about combining offers but we got the cabin we wanted at what we considered a great price so even if things stay just as they are, we're happy.

Quirky is an interesting choice of words. I consider them completely unwilling to combine promotions. When we got our $150 OBC, we had to give up $50 OBC they had already given us for being members of the Captains's Club. I expected to have to give up the $150 and was willing to do so since the price reduction would have been $465.

Good luck in the future. I hope you are able to see something better before sailing, but as you said, you'll be happy with what you already have.

I know they are getting tough, so waited this time to book. Could have gone or not.

We did get the 2nd half off but they did raise the price a bit. At least for the second passenger their insurance is cheaper, so there is a savings there.

I asked and was told after final we could get OBC.

We were on Celebrity in April and I have never seen the OBC offers after our return. I did get one from HAL though.

For those that are ale to wait after final payment due date and are flexible re: cruise and cabin type it looks like the wait and see approach may now be the best way to go about this. Of course there is the possibility of not getting a deal but that is the risk. Good luck to all in their quest.

I called yesterday about the promo rate. Wanted to upgrade from a SS2 to a CS and pay the difference, about $400.00. They would absolutely NOT give me any upgrade offer. They further told me that if I canceled, not only would we lose the $500.00 cancellation penalty, but, since it is a suite we would actually lose another $500.00 penalty since they changed the requirement for suite deposits to $1000.00 (THey made this change after we booked).

Even if I canceled and tried to rebook, I was told that I would not get the Buy One get One 1/2 off price, as their software would identify us as previously booked and would disallow the lower price.

I am so unhappy with RCCL/Celebrity that I canceled two future cruises on Oasis and Voyager, both in Grand Suites. They would rather offer a good deal to a new passenger rather than take care of their long time, loyal customer.

Next time we want to cruise, I will wait to book until about 4 weeks from the cruise, and then only if I can find a good deal.

Archived