book early or last minute???

luvtoswim

We booked months ago and got an excellent price for an oceanview for our next cruise. But just this past week, Princess announced a flash sale and we could have gotten a balcony for less than we put down for the oceanview. When our TA called to request a category change, he was turned down as this was for new bookings only. I know its the rules but it still stinks! :mad:

Book cruises that are going to be popular early and book unpopular ones late. The popular ones are during peak season, especially Christmas and New Year's. Other popular ones are the cruises on smaller ships that go to different ports like the world cruise segments.

Even some of holiday cruises can be found at bargain prices if you're flexible about what ship you sail on. We have been on five Christmas cruises and always booked after the final payment date until this year. The exception this year was because we wanted to be on a particular ship and were not considering any others.

The price for the same room category that we're in on the upcoming cruise (which is almost completely wait-listed now) is now almost $1200 each more than we paid a year ago when I booked it. It depends on a lot of circumstances, but in some cases booking late leaves you very little options and a much higher price.

The price for the same room category that we're in on the upcoming cruise (which is almost completely wait-listed now) is now almost $1200 each more than we paid a year ago when I booked it. It depends on a lot of circumstances, but in some cases booking late leaves you very little options and a much higher price.
My option is don't book it there is always another cruise.

If we want a really good price, we have waited until the flash sales with the thought that we may be left behind.

Nothing like getting a flash sale email from Princess on a cabin you already booked months ago for much more. But recently we paid quite a bit more for a sailing we booked 3-4 weeks before because there was no flash, and paid about 15% more than we would have based on my early research. We wanted to pay less, but also wanted to go on that sailing. So we made the bet for lower prices and lost that one. We still had an excellent time.

We booked months ago and got an excellent price for an oceanview for our next cruise. But just this past week, Princess announced a flash sale and we could have gotten a balcony for less than we put down for the oceanview. When our TA called to request a category change, he was turned down as this was for new bookings only. I know its the rules but it still stinks! :mad:

Same thing happen to me last year. I keep saying I'll wait it out but hardly every do & I'm somewhat sorry I jump to early at what seems a good price at the time although I do get a better cabin location than what they offer last minute.

Maybe next time. ;)

In the past couple of years we booked when prices were released. We enjoy month long repositioning cruises & they offered great selection & pricing for only our $100 FCD. I check for price reductions but it never got cheaper.

For 2011 & 2012 the trend has reversed & now a year out it's very expensive. However we used another $100 FCD to book a nicely located cabin at the higher price. I'll keep checking to see if it drops 1/3 like the same cruise this October. Then will have my TA get us the lower price like she always has done in the past.

At least that's been our recent experience but others may have different ones.

I book early. I guess sometimes I may not get the best price, but I get the cabin category I want. I think it also depends on when you are cruising. The past 2 cruise I have done Christmas cruises. I can't imagine the prices getting better as the cruise approaches. Are you cruisin at a prime time?

One factor to consider is how flexible you are about a cruise. If you want a specific cabin type, on one ship, for one date, you should book ahead of time. If you can go anytime, wait and keep checking till you find the right price.

Another factor is getting to the cruise. If you have to fly, last minute airfare is expensive.

Better to book now or later for Baltic in 2011? Any sales likely? We like the Princess itinerary best because it has only two sea days but a super deal on another line might sway us to rethtink the sea days. Any suggestions for sales would be most appreciated.

June

Is it cheaper to book earlier or wait for last minute deals???

If you don't care where you'll be staying on board, then you can get some good deals later. But if you need a specific location or cabin, then you must book early, as you'll decrease your chances of getting the specific cabin the closer to sail you get.

There is no correct answer and every cruise can be different.

I have greatly benefited from last minute flash specials. I am not usually picky about my cabin. I have saved thousands from booking some last minute specials.

On the other hand, I booked a Christmas cruise a long time ago for this coming Christmas to get a specific cabin. The price was unreasonable IMO and if it had stayed the same, I would not have sailed it. I picked the cabin I wanted and kept the booking and just watched. Well - the prices are now almost half of what I booked the cabin at (there have been at least 3 price reductions) with one this week which made this sailing incredible affordable. The ship is still pretty open and I am guessing after final payment, the price will go down again. In this situation, I wanted a specific cabin and booking in advance worked great for me.

I have been amazed as I have seen some really good deals on some holiday bookings (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years) - so they don't all fill up quickly and they don't always go up in price. Sometimes they go down.

I have held a few cabins for Alaska that are unreasonable right now and I won't sail them unless they come down. I got great cabins but am willing to give them up if I have to book the cruises last minute. I am willing to switch ships and weeks to get a lower price. I am just going to watch and see what happens.

We always Cruise March/April time frame so we book early. If the price goes down we’ve always been given the lower price. Also never an issue getting the deck and cabin number we want. We prefer early traditional dining and never have to worry about being waitlisted.

We almost always book far in advance but then we also tend to take itineraries that aren't frequent or are different. If you're cruising the Caribbean where there are a lot of ships and dates to choose from, and you aren't picky about ports, dates or cabins, then waiting for a last minute deal might be worth it.

We book as soon as itineraries are released, get our choice of cabins and our T/A gets us the price reductions as they occur. We occasional get burned by "flash" promotions after final but if we squeak loud enough we generally get the difference or a large portion of it in obc's.

We cruise with 2-4 other couples..............and like our balcony rooms in a row. So, that said, if we decide on a cruise, we book as soon as possible. We spend a lot of time on the balcony and that is important to us. If we go it alone (only once)..............maybe I would take my chances but I'm pretty "picky" with room selection. :D

I have been amazed as I have seen some really good deals on some holiday bookings (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years) - so they don't all fill up quickly and they don't always go up in price. Sometimes they go down.

Can never predict which way it will go. Last year we booked a holiday cruise in August. By final payment time, the price was nearly double...and it did not come down after final payment.

This fall I was going to wait and get one of those fabulous low cost fares. I did hold out long enough to book in early Sept. for the middle of November. We will be on Princess. First Time. Excited about that. Have a guarantee on an entry level balcony for a very, very good price. BUT NOW on the ticker...The Ten Day Emerald cruise to Barbatos and other heavenly places...way way down. :confused: I should have waited. Then the Zuiderdam..Panama Canal..less that what I paid for my booking.:( The NEXT time I will not book until three weeks away from sailing...I hope. We live in Florida and can drive to those ports.BUT then..reading the Princess Boards is fun..I drooled over the menus posted yesterday..my DH loves Trivia and I understand several games a day are played..Princess Ships look absolutely lovely in the pics on this board...I need to stop looking at that last minute ticker thing...and anticipate a lovely week on Princess!!

Where do you sign up to get information for Princess Flash Sales? I have never received info from Princess about them. Do we rely on our TA or other online cruise websites?

Archived