New and exciting uses for the WOW phones

Good morning everyone, I hope this finds you well on this wonderful Saturday morning.

I was wide awake last night and something occurred to me that I don't recall ever seeing discussed on here. My mind works in rather unusual ways at the best of times, but get me at 3:47am, when I should be sleeping, and I seem to reach a whole new level of bizarreness. :)

Here's what I was wondering: With the functionality of the WOW phones that have the "Guest Finder" feature, what other new and creative uses could someone find for that function?

The first one that crossed my mind was a way to track your luggage on that first day before it gets delivered to your stateroom. Have one person sign in without any luggage, board the ship, sign up for the WOW phones and then leave the ship, put a phone in the checked luggage, then give the luggage to the porters.

Get back on board and use the "guest finder" feature to track the bag(s) and make sure they don't get lost or delivered to the wrong stateroom.

I can see so many uses for this functionality, anyone else have any other ideas how it could be used?

:D:D:D

Have a great day!

Sounds like alot of hassle for a problem that has such small odds of happening.....

Yup, I can't argue with that, but what's wrong with just throwing some ideas around?

Some people also argue that smuggling booze on board is more trouble than it's worth but LOTS of people still do it and seem to talk endlessly about it on here.

Can't remember where I heard this but one phone company is looking for new ideas for apps.

Not sure if there is any "reward" for your idea but you could turn in an idea for an app and name it.....luggage finder.

Thanks for the idea....Maybe this will make me millions....lol...:D

Here's one for the chocolate lover...

"Chocolate Finder"

Use this feature to see what kind of chocolate desserts are being offered in the various food venues around the ship.

Bonus feature would let you set up alerts for specific items....

"Sorry honey, I can't talk now, my phone just let me know there's chocolate crepes in the Park Cafe..."

:D

Here's another food related one....I sense a theme with my thoughts this morning...perhaps it's time for me to eat...lol...

An interactive on board food guide...complete with a "Like" button so that RCI could track in real-time how satisfied guests are with the food offerings.

You could simplify your idea by having RC presell the WOWs on the website(like dinner or excursion) then when you get to the pier they can tag your luggage(for a small buy up fee) and then as you check in they issue you your phone.

They could add an app to track your room service order like Domino's online ordering does.

How about a weather app with listings for your ports of call?

Yes do tell. When I started to read this thread I thought the whole idea of a WOW phone was a joke........now I'm wondering. Is this something new and real that RCCL has come out with? If so what does it do? Anyone have some details?:confused:

Here is a Q&A from right here in CC that briefly discusses the WOW phone/Royal Connect...it's the subject of the third question....

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1048

Here is a post from another thread that has a picture of on of the phones...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24755852&postcount=12

took some digging but here is what i found out from crusie critic's web site, on FAQ's for Oasis..... still trying to find it on the Royal Caribeban web site..

Q: How much will the cost be to rent Oasis of the Seas' WOW phones?

A: The Wow phones -- officially "Royal Connect" phones -- are $17.50 per unit ... and that price is for the entirety of the cruise. The phones are actually Apple iPhones set up to only work on Oasis. They can be used to call or text other passengers with the phones, contact different departments (the spa, for instance) and keep tabs on your kids (if they're wearing Oasis' special wristbands with passive tracking devices). By January 2009, the ship will have 800 phones available. The penalty for losing or damaging the phone is a hefty $1,000.

I didn't know about this but may have to get a couple so we can find each other...

Archived