Denied boarding

USA_Cruiser

Enhanced drivers license is only good if you live, drive and cross at a border such as Windsor/Detroit - Thunder Bay/ Pidgeon River - Fort Frances/International Falls just to name a few. For International flights and US flights we have needed a passport - I hope to heck you are wrong otherwise we have been duped and it would not be the first time. Thanks for bringing this to my attention - you can believe I will look into it.

You are correct - the enhanced Canadian d.l. is only for terra firma travel not by air or water :)

I no longer assume anything. What worked one time may not work another, especially in today's crazy world.

For years, I used to show an expired Passport and it used to be taken as I.D. Until one time they told me NO. It was pre 9/11, they stamped "No proof of citizenship" and let me board.

I renewed my Passport when I returned.

But now, each and EVERY time I travel, I check with the experts about what I need. It never seems to be the same each time any more.

I just spent over $350 getting my wife and son and my renewal passport. We opted for books instead of cards,more money but ya never know. So sorry this happend to you. I would rather it be a universal thing now , no confusion in the future.

I feel sorry for those who were not allowed on board..what a bummer

I must say I never heard of a "birth record" or whatever it is they had

I do remember cruising years ago, before online check in, e-docs

Back then used local travel agent...went to their office to pick up documents, etc...very official package....travel agent went over boarding issues with us

ie, had me show her my birth cert (before I had a passport)

I think Carnival needs to walk people through this stuff

ie, more info online...let them know what an "official" birth cert is

give them ample notification...make the person "sign off" online to say they read this and understand it and comply

likewise, I feel that they should just put the insurance on and let people "opt out" of it by checking that they relinquish ALL rights for ANY form of compensation

There is a huge gap ..we see that even people who read these forums don't know what they are doing sometimes and we see many who don't take insurance have "accidents" happen and then want some sort of compensation

and what about the people who don't read these forums who are not computer literate?? How do they even manage?

Years ago travel agents checked this stuff (good ones did)

now it seems they don't even do that...I remember the sorry story of the minister and wife last year who could not board their Alaska cruise cause they didn't have passports

A friend of mine on a single's cruise to Alaska had the cabin to himself ..his roomie to be could not board cause he did not have a passport (required on Alaskan cruises)

I think Carnival needs CLEAR INFO ABOUT THIS...AND A CHECK OFF BOX

iF PEOPLE CHECK OFF THAT THEY READ THE INFO, THEY HAVE THE RIGHT DOCUMENTS, THEN WE WOULD NOT SEE SAD CASES LIKE THIS

Now my dh and I have birth certificates with a raised seal that we were going to use on the cruise rather than investing in passports. The cruise was a surprise gift for us and we were hoping to use birth certificates than have to spend so much money on 4 passports but maybe we need to. I would hate to get there and be denied!

Do you feel lucky?

I don't understand why people just don't spend the money these days and get the passport? Yes, they cost a bit of money. However, if you know the possibility is out there that it will cause problems without it, then why not? You'll be covered for the next 10 years, the passport itself is the ultimate form of identification and can be used for other things like airline security checks (they are getting tighter as well), state drivers license issuance, and generally anything else which requires identification. Then there's always the possibility that you will travel out of the country for your job, or in the future you may want to travel out of the country.

What you can be sure of is that in the future, the price of getting a passport if going to go up. Though it may appear expensive now, it will be more expensive later.

Howard

OK, I would be so upset after planning my vacation and being denied to board at the pier. Devastating for sure. Who's ever at fault for not making sure proper doc's are enough to board well before day of cruise is a mistake or bad oversight.

The only ones at fault are the travellers.

In every single one of these cases it comes down to the traveller as they are responsible for having proper documentation - regardless of who told them what previously, or what worked previously.

Howard

Invalid doc's should have been caught before e docs issued.

Carnival only goes by what you enter. Elsewhere, Carnival clearly states that it's the cruiser's responsibility to determine and provide the correct documents. Carnival doesn't per se require this documentation, they are simply providing a service in attempting to assure that cruisers board with the documentation that Customs/Immigration HLS requires.

Passport Card:

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."

ken

I just spent over $350 getting my wife and son and my renewal passport. We opted for books instead of cards,more money but ya never know. So sorry this happend to you. I would rather it be a universal thing now , no confusion in the future.

Why so much?

I got my passport for about $50.

And what is a "book"?

Why so much?

Two new passports and one renewal - $350 sounds about right.

And what is a "book"?

Your passport - the blue booklet that says Passport on the cover with your picture with pages for entry/exit stamps.

Howard

Last month my husband and I just used our I.D and BC but since we are going again next summer I think we will get the book. I plan on more cruises. Lol ..next summer we will bring three of our daughters and would like to may just get them a card instead of book. One because its cheaper and they won't be going on every cruise with dad and I. So want to make sure they even like it. But how old do they have to be to even get a card...

Sorry to hear of your problem. It is my understanding that Homeland security passed new rules several years ago that required Passports and/or Passport cards. IMHO everyone should be required to have a Passport. It speeds up processing and makes things easier for everyone involved. I know that you said you only cruise every other year, but they are good for 10 years. If you divide the cost over ten years it is $10 a year. We met a couple in St. John (USVI) on a trip that wanted to see Virgin Gorda (BVI) but couldn"t take the ferry over because they didn't have Passports. If you love to travel, don't restrict yourself by not having a passport. Check out this site for most current info. http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Again, sorry to hear about you misfortune.

I feel the same way NOW about getting a passport as I did before we don't travel enough to get one. And I so glad that you do and have your passport. But I didn't post this to be a passport cheerleader it was just FYI for the people that don't have passports to look at their documents and make sure it says birth cert.that's all I wanted to do nothing more nothing less.

How much is ENOUGH travel to need a passport. In my mind, if you are leaving the country ONCE, that's enough. I agree with others. All passport requirements could change at any time. They actually had set an effective date to make passports required for ALL cruises out of the country and backed off - no doubt as the result of some lobbying by the cruise lines. It's too bad you got burned as the result of not understanding the requirements. But in these days where we value security so much, I'd like to see tighter passport requirements.

Why so much?

And what is a "book"?

You got a Passport Card - It can only be used for some land-crossings but not for travel by air:

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."

so, if you were to miss ship Departure in a Foreign port - with a Passport book you'd be able to head for the airport and get a flight out - with a Passport Card, you'd have to deal with the embassy to get a passport book issued so you could fly Home or to catch-up with ship.

ken

You are correct - the enhanced Canadian d.l. is only for terra firma travel not by air or water :)

Makes me feel better that I was right - during this thread I grabbed our passports to check the expiry date as we cruise in February 2011 and fortunately they expire in 2012 so we are good to go. It's funny - we cross at the border probably 2 times a month and I always use our passports but it's been a long time since I actually checked the dates. I think we all knew this day was coming for the US - when we first had to get them there was a whole lot of bitching going on but now it is just a cost of travelling now and we budget for it. Ours are only valid for 5 years so you guys are lucky yours is 10 years. Just remember when this happens it is not the cruise industry demanding it is Homeland Security.

Archived