Denied boarding

USA_Cruiser

Sorry to hear of your problem. It is my understanding that Homeland security passed new rules several years ago that required Passports and/or Passport cards. IMHO everyone should be required to have a Passport. It speeds up processing and makes things easier for everyone involved. I know that you said you only cruise every other year, but they are good for 10 years. If you divide the cost over ten years it is $10 a year. We met a couple in St. John (USVI) on a trip that wanted to see Virgin Gorda (BVI) but couldn"t take the ferry over because they didn't have Passports. If you love to travel, don't restrict yourself by not having a passport. Check out this site for most current info. http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Again, sorry to hear about you misfortune.

This is information is not correct at all. There is no Homeland security requirement that passengers on a closed loop cruise need a passport. Passengers need a government issued picture ID and a certified birth certificate.

We have been on cruises to St. John and took the ferry over to Virgin Gorda without carrying our passports. I am not sure why this couple would have had any problem taking the ferry.

Vinnie

We have never had our passports taken "for safe keeping". By any chance were you on a cruise overseas as they often do this. We have only cruised Caribbean area so may this is the reason. Inquiring minds want to know.

My first couple of cruises, I did have my passport taken. Both were just standard Caribbean cruises. Then, about 5 years ago, they stopped taking the passports.

How much is ENOUGH travel to need a passport. In my mind, if you are leaving the country ONCE, that's enough. I agree with others. All passport requirements could change at any time. They actually had set an effective date to make passports required for ALL cruises out of the country and backed off - no doubt as the result of some lobbying by the cruise lines. It's too bad you got burned as the result of not understanding the requirements. But in these days where we value security so much, I'd like to see tighter passport requirements.

The lobbying was done by the Association of Caribbean States which did studies that estimated they were going to lose tens of millions of tourism dollars.

Not sure how requiring a bunch of American tourists on a cruise ship to carry passports increases the security of the United States. The closed loop exception was granted because crusing is looked at as low risk security threat to begin with.

Vinnie

i was sorta thinking the same thing. what good does it do to fill it out if they don't even pay attention to what it put there.

It is YOUR responsibility to make sure YOU have the correct documents. When I looked at my online check-in information, it specifically states "Birth Certificate" not Birth Record. When you are filling out your information, what would you like Carnival to do to validate that you are putting in the correct information and have the correct documents?????

A few years ago, my daughter planned a cruise with a friend. A few weeks before the cruise, I asked the friend to show me the BC. I wanted to be sure he had a true BC. I took one look at it and knew it was the paper issued by the hospital. My DH and I had to go into NYC with a notarized request from the friend to get a real BC for him. He would have been denied boarding without it.

Passports are very easy to get these days if you have the proper identification. We got ours in 10 days. It's worth the peace of mind, IMO. I've used my passport for various things over the years, including proof of citizenship for a job.

Yes, it does require a lot of identification in Florida to get a driver's license. It's the same with renewing, too. I don't mind, as I think it's about time!

Passports are very easy to get these days if you have the proper identification. We got ours in 10 days. It's worth the peace of mind, IMO. I've used my passport for various things over the years, including proof of citizenship for a job.

Yes, it does require a lot of identification in Florida to get a driver's license. It's the same with renewing, too. I don't mind, as I think it's about time!

I just wanted to warn that passports are not always easy to get, so make sure you leave lots of time. We applied for ours just before the price increase, I think it was July 9, and JUST received our passports. We had all proper documentation and everything, but for whatever reason the govt decided both my husband and I needed to send additional info. We had to have at least 5 documents with date/signature or date/photo from over a period of time, plus list every place we have ever lived, every job we have ever had, and every school we ever attended (from elementary up). They wanted parent info, and baptismal info, and all sorts of stuff. This was a serious PITA and took looking up records and phone calls to parents, and even then some guessing for roundabout dates.

This experience has convinced me I will never let my passport lapse, because I don't want to do that again! Be aware if you are sending in your only BC copy it may be a long time before you get it back, so make sure you have another if it is close enough you may have to cruise with that.

OHhhh my gosh! I'm so sorry. I'd have been absolutely devastated.

Please please please consider getting a passport now. They are good for 12 years, I believe and so worth it.

I am so sorry about what happened..I do agree that it's so much easier to get a passport and not have worry...I think by the end of the year, it will be all passports...according to the State Dept...

What ID did you utilize for the cruise?

@Salty Dingo, no they (immigration officials)are not there, but the Passport info is passed along to them. You can check out the State Department's site, it says that Belize is not a recognized nation in the WHTI.

Barbados is another country where a passport is needed. You may not need to physically present it, but it should be in the system.

Been to both and never had to appear before any officials. I don't doubt that the passenger manifest, including passport data, is passed to them but I do doubt that they would make you stay on the ship if your passport expired in 3 months... unless they are paranoid about people who want to illegally immigrate via cruise ship.

I know Canada sometimes runs the entire passenger manifest through their systems. Canada is the only country that I know of that has direct access to the NCIC, which contains all criminal recordsn in the USA - if they find you have anything other than a minor traffic violation in your past, no matter how long ago, they can deny entry. It's complex, but people with a 30 year old DUI can't enter without getting a waiver or paying a $200 fee, if that is even allowed. That's not really related to a passport, but I thought I would mention it.

I am so sorry about what happened..I do agree that it's so much easier to get a passport and not have worry...I think by the end of the year, it will be all passports...according to the State Dept...

Please state your source to this information because there is nothing I can find that says by the end of the year passports will be required.

Here is what the WHTI initiative states from the Department of State web site:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Thanks,

Vinnie

I just wanted to warn that passports are not always easy to get, so make sure you leave lots of time. We applied for ours just before the price increase, I think it was July 9, and JUST received our passports. We had all proper documentation and everything, but for whatever reason the govt decided both my husband and I needed to send additional info. We had to have at least 5 documents with date/signature or date/photo from over a period of time, plus list every place we have ever lived, every job we have ever had, and every school we ever attended (from elementary up). They wanted parent info, and baptismal info, and all sorts of stuff. This was a serious PITA and took looking up records and phone calls to parents, and even then some guessing for roundabout dates.

This experience has convinced me I will never let my passport lapse, because I don't want to do that again! Be aware if you are sending in your only BC copy it may be a long time before you get it back, so make sure you have another if it is close enough you may have to cruise with that.

Your experience is the exception rather than the rule. Obviously there was something in your background (or other person with same/similar name) which raised a red flag.

Howard

I think we all knew this day was coming for the US - when we first had to get them there was a whole lot of bitching going on but now it is just a cost of travelling now and we budget for it. Ours are only valid for 5 years so you guys are lucky yours is 10 years. Just remember when this happens it is not the cruise industry demanding it is Homeland Security.

Ours are only valid for 5 years so you guys are lucky yours is 10 years.

It is convenient for Americans to be able to have an automatic renew for their passports but it sure aint cheap. We pay $87 Canadian

while Americans pay $165 US each time. I love the idea of a renewal for passports but we have a much better price.

You got a Passport Card - It can only be used for some land-crossings but not for travel by air:

ken

Just checked, I did get a passport book. I got it by going to the Post Office, filled out all of their paper work, presented my picture, and I thought it cost about $50.

Just googled it, and the cost is now $135. Passport card is $55.

Americans pay $165 US each time.

Not exactly. According to the State Dept. which issues US passports, a new adult passport is $110 + $25 execution fee = $135.

Maybe you were looking at the passport book + card, which would total $165. You really only need the book. The card would be OK for cruises except if you have to fly back, it is not accepted for entry to the US by air.

Not exactly. According to the State Dept. which issues US passports, a new adult passport is $110 + $25 execution fee = $135.

Maybe you were looking at the passport book + card, which would total $165. You really only need the book. The card would be OK for cruises except if you have to fly back, it is not accepted for entry to the US by air.

Other than the convenience of its "size"...what is the advantage of purchasing the "passport card" along with the book? In other words, does the card provide you anything that an actual full passport does not for an additional $30.

Ours are only valid for 5 years so you guys are lucky yours is 10 years.

It is convenient for Americans to be able to have an automatic renew for their passports but it sure aint cheap. We pay $87 Canadian

while Americans pay $165 US each time. I love the idea of a renewal for passports but we have a much better price.

If yours is $87 for 5 yrs and ours is $165 for 10 yrs, ours is actually $9 cheaper over all. So really no difference.

Other than the convenience of its "size"...what is the advantage of purchasing the "passport card" along with the book? In other words, does the card provide you anything that an actual full passport does not for an additional $30.

When owned in conjunction with the book, it allows you to leave the book on the ship and carry the card.

Alone, I don't see an advantage, but then again, I never know when I'm just going to go catch a flight to hang out with my friends in the UK. When owned as a stand-alone, the card is rather limiting if you'd like to think of yourself as a world traveler. But if you're not planning on doing anything except cruising or driving to Mexico and Canada, it works.

If you look at the cost, plus the fact that they have to be renewed twice as often then the 10 years a passport is good for, it is penny wise and pound foolish. They could also stop accepting the cards for ANY trip out of the US and you would need to get a passport anyway.

Remember, ALL laws in the US are subject to political lobbying that has more to do with what is required than anything else. Just because the current lobbying has made you safe doesn't mean they can maintain the payoff needed to keep it. In Europe, it is called "bribes" in America, it's "lobbists" - same thing;)

If you look at the cost, plus the fact that they have to be renewed twice as often then the 10 years a passport is good for, it is penny wise and pound foolish. They could also stop accepting the cards for ANY trip out of the US and you would need to get a passport anyway.

Remember, ALL laws in the US are subject to political lobbying that has more to do with what is required than anything else. Just because the current lobbying has made you safe doesn't mean they can maintain the payoff needed to keep it. In Europe, it is called "bribes" in America, it's "lobbists" - same thing;)

Where does all of this misinformation come from???

The passport card is here to stay as it serves a purpose.

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

VALIDITY AND COST

Adults (Age 16 and Older)

Validity: 10 years

First-Time Applicant Cost: $55

Previous Passport Holder Cost: $30vert_line.gif

Minors (Under Age 16)

Validity: 5 years

Cost for All Minors: $40

Vinnie

Where does all of this misinformation come from???

The passport card is here to stay as it serves a purpose.

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

VALIDITY AND COST

Adults (Age 16 and Older)

Validity: 10 years

First-Time Applicant Cost: $55

Previous Passport Holder Cost: $30vert_line.gif

Minors (Under Age 16)

Validity: 5 years

Cost for All Minors: $40

Vinnie

I guess I'll ask this a different way. For a person going on a cruise...would getting a passport card be any better than just going with a certified BC and valid id?

Specifically...if you had to fly back from a foreign port (heaven forbid) what does the passport card do for you?

Note: I have two passports (leisure passport and official gov't passport) so this is more a curiosity question than anything else.

Archived