What items do you wear ONLY on a cruise?

2SeaWithMe

I have a cruise wardrobe and if I can get a flight to the port city, I can be ready to go in an hour to take advantage of the next best cruise deal. Daytime I wear typical summer clothes and reserve the glitz which I never wear at home for the evening. Hard to find time for all that glamour sometime after the set sail party but before cocktail parties, shows, and dinner.:rolleyes:

OK, the one thing I find that I wear only on a cruise are my REEF sandals with a bottle cap opener imbedded in the sole. Very popular with the beer drinkers we were sitting next to on the deck on sea days. One of the pool butlers was particularly fascinated with them.

Actually, there is one item that is for the cruise only. I read here that European pick-pockets can spot American and Canadian tourists because we tend to wear white sneakers while in port, so I bought a pair of black Skechers for that reason.

It is much more than just the white sneakers that identify an American tourist.

I hate dressing up so on the formal nights I just dress in slacks and a nice top. On my first cruise I actually bought a full length skirt and top and hated it. On the other nights I wear the same clothes that I wear when I'm at home, which is capris and pullover tops (during the summer). I do like to buy 1 or 2 new outfits to wear but they are still in my normal style of dress.

We live in Hawaii, and life here is very casual, so I'd have to say formal wear. I love to play dress-up and there are few such occasions here. DH even went out an had a tux tailored in Bangkok, so we're prepared. (Did spend 1/2 the day in Nice looking for a formal white shirt one cruise, though...easy to forget when it's not often worn!

I don't wear my best jewelry, though. Too concerned about it 'going missing' I guess.

The lanyard my daughter bought for me.

She ordered it from Disney because she knows I like Flower.

Now, crew members on ships very often ask me, "What kind of animal is that, please?"

Just TRY to explain what a skunk is / does!!:p

It makes for fun conversations....................

I love the formal attire nights, and my husband does too! So classy gowns are a must!

Then there is the kind of nautical navy/white sweater that he gave me as a gift for a cruise.....feel that I must pack that, and wear it at least once, so he'll think I like it. lol

We love the small ship cruises - more laid back. We are retired and live in a small town in Texas. I never dress up now, and, frankly, I do not miss it. I do not want to cruise where I have to wear formal clothes. My cruise clothes are the same as my regular clothes. I do bring a string of pearls to wear with one of my tops for Captain's night. There are too many interesting things to do on a cruise besides staying in the cabin and dressing up. Our latest cruise was on the Canadian Empress with the St. Lawrence Cruise Lines. It was super!

I wear my 10 ct Aquamarine pendant my mother left me. It was her birthstone, and was originally a ring, but was later turned into a pendant since a 10 ct ring, quite frankly, could take out an eye if you gesture a lot when you talk. Wearing it anywhere else but formal nights on a cruise would seem ridiculous (at least until I get that invite to Buckingham Palace).

• 4 weeks later...

I have a cowboy hat, that you can see below in my signature, that I hardly ever wear at home. But it is very festive for cruises. I have started buying a pin from each port to put on it. As far as transporting it, when I flew a few weeks ago I just carried it on the plane along with my carry-on suitcase and a briefcase. I never got a cross look from the airline staff.

I also wore flip flops over 90% of the time on the last cruise and I don't wear them much at home either.

I agree---that "family jewels" comment was hilarious!!!! But, hey, if you aren't using them any other time, you might as well use them on a cruise:D

And to the red thong wearer--I would sit by you at the pool.

We have a lot of tropical shirts, including some Tommy Bahama type shirts. I do wear these occasionally elsewhere in the summer but not nearly as much as I do on a cruise.

Same goes for my tux and bow ties. Like another poster said, I wore it once to my son's wedding 5 years ago but many times since then on cruises.

While i don't wear it on the ship I also wear a wide brimmed Tilley sun hat for sun protection on shore when we're on a Caribbean cruise that I seldom wear elsewhere.

Actually, there is one item that is for the cruise only. I read here that European pick-pockets can spot American and Canadian tourists because we tend to wear white sneakers while in port, so I bought a pair of black Skechers for that reason.

If you think your black skechers will help camouflage the fact that you are a tourist then you are likely mistaken. If you're worried about pick pockets then being aware of your surroundings, keeping valuables in a money belt or other hidden wallet under your clothing, and similar precautions will go a lot further than wearing shoes you don't normally wear. I pick out my touring shoes for comfort on long walks not for style or camouflage.

At first thought, I could not think of anything, but...

Then I realized that I ALWAYS pack my worn out and holey socks, under shirts and under wear. Clean - yes, presentable if run over by a bus - no!

Each night I toss out whatever I've worn that day. On a seven night cruise, that opens up plenty of space for trinkets and souvenirs.

OK, the one thing I find that I wear only on a cruise are my REEF sandals with a bottle cap opener imbedded in the sole. Very popular with the beer drinkers we were sitting next to on the deck on sea days. One of the pool butlers was particularly fascinated with them.

Our son has a pair of the bottle opener sandals and when we found a pair of Reef sandals on sale, we bought them without checking for the "extra feature". It turns out that there is a small flask in each one! He was appreciative.

Now back to the topic:

hubby- Tommy B shirts, tux, ties

wifey- sparkly dresses, nighties

What a fun thread!

Every pedicure I have gotten in my life has been on the day before a cruise (getting one tomorrow!!!!).

Formal wear: we get a few chances to wear it off a cruise but mostly on the ships. Getting two formal nights in a week is one of the things we most look forward to our first Celebrity cruise next week. Even the kids LOVE dressing for dinner (our son got a new tux for his birthday last year because he begged for one after outgrowing the one he had found him at a resale shop a couple of years earlier).

Our first formal night on our upcoming trip is Sunday (halloween). As luck would have it my daughter has a black and orange silk dress she can wear. WE found an orange bow tie on ebay for my son so they can be formal and Halloweeny all at once.

I also have two dresses that I bought in Cozumel that show a little more skin than fits the "mom" image so I only wear them on cruises (when it is warm enough one or the other is always for sail away).

Oh, and my leg warmers only come out for 80s nights on cruises.

During the sixties clothing stores had a special department during the winter called "cruise wear" which included casual outfits with very loud prints. That was at a time when most people dressed up in a conservative manner for work, cultural activities, and fine dining, but wore clothing on a cruise that they would never wear in any other venue. With this in mind, I find it interesting that so many people today only dress up when they go on a cruise.

Von Muar was still carrying a cruise wear line when we lived in Michigan about 6 or 7 years ago. We DO have more casual that normal things we wear for daytime cruise wear (those dresses from Cozumel I mentioned, Hawaiian shirts on the guys) but at night it is all about the formality; I think that is in keeping with the old traditions.

Archived