Have a Minute To Help Us Out? We're Redesigning Our Ship Review Page!

LauraS

First-I did not read any other posts to the thread so I apologize if I am duplicating. I think most of the users of the ship reviews are experienced cruisers that visit the individual ship pages multiple times either in making a decision or in getting ready to depart. I find the first page extremely busy and would prefer a simple two button approach with a link to all the general (non-changing) cruise critic info on one and a link to all the member reviews (which keep coming in with new info) on another.

Thanks for all the wonderful info here and the great job you all do.

Ocalapat

I've always liked reading member reviews, especially on a ship I've been on. But for some reason at the very top where it says ....381 reviews it doesn't show me all those reviews right away. But if I scroll down on the home page towards the middle there is another link with takes me to all the member reviews. Unless I'm not doing something right, this often a cunfusing minor problem I run into trying to get to the member review page where they're all listed.

Thanks, cruiser-007

The new page design looks very nice. I find the only thing I cannot find out about cruise ships is WHAT kind of activities do they offer? And by that I mean..do they have Trivia? Sports Trivia? My husband, a devotee of Jeopardy...and Trivial Pursuit..and huge sports fan..Loves the compeitions. EVERY ship I have ever sailed on..that had Sports Trivia has usually been in a bar..and MEN and some ladies were stacked up and coming out the door. Yet it is IMPOSSIBLE to find out if Sports Trivia is offered..or even general Trivia. Even of Carnival..I find the attendance at Trivia events getting larger and larger. On HAL..we have TWICE played against a team of Doctors who call them selves The MizuCrew. They usally win too.

The Point I am trying to make..is that Trivia Contests...Scattergories...mind games and such..Name That Tune..are beginning..or ARE a major criteria in Booking a cruise. Even though we LOVE HAL..we seldom sail on it because there is very little Trivia and such.

Maybe a section for SPECIFIC ACTIVIES..like line dancing, Karaoke, Trivia Contests, Crafts, cooking demonstrations..something so folks would know WHAT activities are offered.

Other than that..I would not book a cruise without reading your reviews on the ship.

I did find most of the things that I usually look for. However, I would make a couple of suggestions

1. It would be helpful to know about the smoking policy on board. There's an increasing number of non-smokers who get quite irritated with having to encounter smoking on board (especially on balconies and on the decks) and I would like to see smoking issues given more prominence in reviews. I don't think the cruise lines are going to ban smoking any time soon but at least they might forbid smoking of cigars. Anyway it would be helpful to have that info.

2. A lot of us really like quiet areas where we can get away to read our books and listen to music on our ipods. We are finding it increasingly difficult to find such spaces and often people who want to play cards (quite noisy!) come and invade that space. Again I think people who want a quiet area would really welcome hearing about that in all the reviews.

Thanks for inviting comments!

Hi Laura

I have looked at the page and read most replies so far.

My only comment would be to actually include some photos of standard cabins, which show the bathroom area and storage space. Most cruise ship photos only show the bed area when it comes to cabins.

Suites are all very nice, but most of us do book the standard cabins.

Other than that, the site is great.

Regards

Roland

Laura - I check out the review section often and I think it is well written. As an older and slightly impaired cruiser, the facilities on board are very important. For instance, in reviewing the cabin inventory for Royal Caribbean's ships, their handicapped cabins are near the elevators whereas in many of carnival's these cabin are foreward away from the first bank of elevators. THis would pose a major issue to those who don't get around so well. As our traveling public's median age continues to rise, facts along this line will become more important.

The single thing I liked best about the Millenium was the Cosmos Lounge, located on one of the upper decks. It has windows forward and on both sides, and was the ideal location to watch the majestic snow-capped mountains pass by. (And occasionally some wildlife. We saw our very first bald eagle from the Cosmos. [Actually, it may have been a War Eagle!:)])

I am new to the site and will be taking my first recreational cruise on Ocean Princess in Feb 2011. However, common sense and experience in the Navy tells me that all ships change over time due to crew changes and the age of the ship.

It might be interesting to see a small graph that shows the member rating trends over time. For example I have read many of the Ocean (Tahitian) Princess reviews and several note that the soft furnishings are looking a bit tired. This might be reflected in the cabin rating trend. It might be a powerful tool for cruise critic members to send a message to the cruise line when the ship begins to trend downward.

Thank you for your site it has been a wonderful resource.

I like the colorful nature of the site, but agree that the ship's name should pop out more. Can you use each line's logo to help with that? I also agree that the ads are very distracting. I know that's how this all gets paid for, but there are so many in so many areas of the page that it is hard to really see the information. I also wondered if there might be a link to pertinent postings on the boards about this ship other than just the reviews. Like a FAQ section, so that we don't have to jump all over to find what we want for each cruise line.

:D

Hi Laura,

I didn't have any trouble with the Review Page. I have to agree with one poster that there should be more photos of standard accommodations vs. the lofts or other upgraded cabins. I love to read the reviews and generally always find something of interest to me. :)

Thanks for all you do!

Craftypntr-Minnie

There are people who either live their lives cruising or who live their lives posting -& I cannot count myself among either group.

I suggest you contact the stalwarts of cruisecritic to answer these questions, rather than the likes of me.

Laura:

One of the reasons I joined Cruise Critics is because of the "Ship Reviews"

Very practical, informative and useful. I like the fact that you are constantly improving and listening to your audience in order to implement new ideas.

I agree with many of the suggestions given in this thread, particularly the one about pictures.

Keep up the good work!!

Oceanone:)

I am new to the site and will be taking my first recreational cruise on Ocean Princess in Feb 2011.

Thank you for your site it has been a wonderful resource.

G'Day Bron Welcome to Cruise Critic!! We are also from Canaberra and love Cruise Critic. We now do all private tours with other ccers for approx half the price and twice the value. Enjoy!! Cheers Ros ;)

For the ratings, i would like a breakdown by categories of passengers. For example, some people like to party and some prefer quiet ambiance. So by age groups, and maybe type of cruise expected( traveling to visit interesting destinations, or just to relax, or to party etc) we could appreciate better the ratings. Just 2 or 3 categories would do the job.

I would also appreciate a good to know specific to that ship or cruise line. For example, on some ships there is a little known place protected from the wind, or things you must do or book asap as you board the ship etc.

Finally, for those who know the ship well, ( or the cruise line) a section on recent changes would be useful. Change in cruise director, menus, names prices of wines etc.

have a nice day !

Hi this is my first post!! Cruising on RCCL, Jewel, Oct. 30th with 3 friends!! We are looking forward to meeting you on the cruise to ask questions about getting around the islands without booking through the ship. We are all retired women who love to laugh and experience new adventures. We have traveled before on the Jewel flying from Boston to England and crossing Atlantic down the coast back to Boston. A great trip!!

We are excited to meet & greet you all!

Marianne

Mary

Irene

Gertie

Looked over the page for the Millenium and the biggest thing that stands out is the pictures of passengers are too staged. Better idea would be to use actual photos taken on a cruise. Have never been on a cruise where everyone had great bodies and perfect hair and smiles. After 16 cruises, mostly on Princess, I know that the cruise lines have really begun to take notice of what is posted on CC.

It would be nice to know when the last overhaul had been done; it makes a difference in the conditions on board. Things are worn and tired looking just before it's time for a makeover; and people take that image away with them - especially ones new to cruising. Of course there are those that are never satisfied with the ship, crew, etc. and post really negative reviews. Sometimes it's hard to believe we were on the same trip.

As stated by others, the news about theme nights, games, and things like available talks. It's also helpful to let people know that things such as hair dryers, beach/pool towels are available.

Archived