Costa Maya - Beaches near the port

JimInBuffalo

We will be stopping at Costa Maya on our upcoming cruise and I want to go to a beach during the day. Are there any public beaches close to the port? I have never been to this port before and am not sure what to expect.

If not within walking distance, what would it cost for a taxi to get to the nearest beach?

Thanks,

Jim In Buffalo

We were there this past Feb and really saw a change. Back in 2003, they started building the area up. This past visit we noticed a big mall type port. They have a beach next to the port area, but it is rocky. The town, Mahaual(spelling) is closeby and you can see the ship from the beach. Water and setting was beautiful, not much else there though.

The port of Costa Maya is a large modern tourist shopping center with a Hard Rock Cafe just outside the gate.

Majahual was a beautiful little fishing village 3 miles from the port. It was simple, but you could get just caught fresh seafood cooked to your liking served to you right on the beach as well as fresh guacamole and chips, margaritas, cerveza and top it off with a one hour massage right on the beach for $20.

Unfortunately in 2007 Hurricane Dean made a direct hit on Mahahual (no one can agree on the spelling) and it was completely destroyed. The Mexican government came in and rebuilt Majahual replacing the sleepy little fishing village with a new malecon and buildings. You can still get served right on the beach and the $20 massages, but the sleepy little village is gone and it's a tourist Disney beach.

Old Majahual...

Picture079.jpg

Picture086.jpg

New Majahual...

NCLJewell04-04-10087.jpg

NCLJewell04-04-10073.jpg

NCLJewell04-04-10072.jpg

The port of Costa Maya is a large modern tourist shopping center with a Hard Rock Cafe just outside the gate.

Majahual was a beautiful little fishing village 3 miles from the port. It was simple, but you could get just caught fresh seafood cooked to your liking served to you right on the beach as well as fresh guacamole and chips, margaritas, cerveza and top it off with a one hour massage right on the beach for $20.

Unfortunately in 2007 Hurricane Dean made a direct hit on Mahahual (no one can agree on the spelling) and it was completely destroyed. The Mexican government came in and rebuilt Majahual replacing the sleepy little fishing village with a new malecon and buildings. You can still get served right on the beach and the $20 massages, but the sleepy little village is gone and it's a tourist Disney beach.

Old Majahual...

Picture079.jpg

Picture086.jpg

New Majahual...

NCLJewell04-04-10087.jpg

NCLJewell04-04-10073.jpg

NCLJewell04-04-10072.jpg

still sounds great. All we did last time was get off the ship, do a little shopping and get back on. I was sorry we didn't take advantage of the port.

NIta

I found Costa Maya as well as our 3 other ports for an upcoming cruise listed under Caribbean header...lots of tips and the most current information.

Majahual, now known as Mahahual is the main beach but it is not the one at the cruise dock. That is a little artifical village that does seem to have a Disneyesque flavor it. There is a swim up bar and eatery you can visit along with some pricey souvenirs to be had just steps from the pier.

You will find soldiers guarding gates and stone/cement fencing along the edges of this ersatz village. Go a few steps outside the gate and there are taxis and buses that will take you directly to Mahahual. They will drop you off a some point near the center of that post 2007 malecon (beach walk).

Plenty of small seafood spots with some recommended more than others. A few like 100% Agave and Nacional Beach Club (no cost) really caught my eye. Friends who have tried it say the sovenirs were less expensive and sometimes also of higher quality than at the Costa Maya 'tourist village' locale.

I found Costa Maya as well as our 3 other ports for an upcoming cruise listed under Caribbean header...lots of tips and the most current information.

Majahual, now known as Mahahual is the main beach but it is not the one at the cruise dock. That is a little artifical village that does seem to have a Disneyesque flavor it.

I think you misunderstood me. While the new Majahual (it's always been spelled both ways) is a nice beach, it's what I call Disneyesque now compared to old Majahual before Hurricane Dean destroyed it. It really was very simple but incredible.

Costa Maya is what I call a theatric port built for the tourists that never venture very far from the ship.

Old Majahual...

Picture065.jpg

Edited by Salty The Sea Dog

I was just here two weeks ago and We loved this port! It was our last stop and very relaxing...just what we needed!!! We got there earlier than most and got to enjoy it all to ourselves for a little while...as we were leaving it got a little crowded, but overall still very nice. I'm pretty sure we got a bucket (6) of beer, table, umbrella, 4 chairs, 2 lounge chairs for $5. For the two of us we spent $15 the entire time in port. Planned on getting a massage but didn't have time. Water is very nice and clear with soft sand.

Thanks for all of the responses. I have to admit that I was not enthused about this port at all until I read this info and saw the pictures. We have been to Cancun a few times previously and I had not heard much about Costa Maya. I thought that it was one of those ports created just for the cruise lines.

I will put this one the plans for our cruise for sure.

-Jim in Buffalo (It will be 85 - 90 degrees here today and tomorrow the high will be 61 degrees. That's Buffalo for you.)

Thanks for all of the responses. I have to admit that I was not enthused about this port at all until I read this info and saw the pictures. We have been to Cancun a few times previously and I had not heard much about Costa Maya. I thought that it was one of those ports created just for the cruise lines.

It is. Walk to the rear of the cruiseline created megastructure, grab a taxi in the back and head to Mahahual. ;)

I was just here two weeks ago and We loved this port! It was our last stop and very relaxing...just what we needed!!! We got there earlier than most and got to enjoy it all to ourselves for a little while...as we were leaving it got a little crowded, but overall still very nice. I'm pretty sure we got a bucket (6) of beer, table, umbrella, 4 chairs, 2 lounge chairs for $5. For the two of us we spent $15 the entire time in port. Planned on getting a massage but didn't have time. Water is very nice and clear with soft sand.

Do you know the name of the place that you went?

Thanks.

We were there in the spring of 2009 on a cruise. We rented a golf cart and just ventured off.. we ran into Majahaul on accident about 10 minutes after we left.

It has to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen! We ended up spending the rest of the day drinking buckets of beer and eating fresh salsa and chips on the beach while the kids played in the calm waters! Oh, and I think we only ended spend about $17 in port that day too.. including a few trinkets!

This by far is our favorite port to date! We are going back there in a few weeks.. this time we know not to waste our $50 on a golf cart and just take a quick cab ride over there!

• 2 weeks later...

This is hard to believe that you got all that for $5.00. Is this a misprint.

We are going to be heading to Costa Maya on the Dream in December. I am also thinking that this will be the perfect place for a beach day. If we take a taxi from port to Mahual (sp?) and spend the day at the beach..are taxis readily available to take us back to port when we are ready to leave?

We are going to be heading to Costa Maya on the Dream in December. I am also thinking that this will be the perfect place for a beach day. If we take a taxi from port to Mahual (sp?) and spend the day at the beach..are taxis readily available to take us back to port when we are ready to leave?

Yes, no problem finding them.

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Maya Chan last week on Epic and it was superb. Open bar, great home made food. Neat things to if you want or not. It's a limited # of people and you must book in advance. The taxi will slowly whisk you the 6 KM, seems farther on bumpy roads, but worth the cold rum punch waiting when you enter this paradise.

Check out their site and don't forget the web cam about mid day, someone maybe waiving at you, with that look of "ha, ha we're here and you're not", and run off into the water with their fruity rum laced drinks, knowing that you just pulled on another sweater because it's 10 degrees colder than 5 minutes ago, "oh God, get me out of this frozen world!!", oh I'm sorry, I digress. Just check out Maya Chan, you'll like it.