Best tip for Progresso

brekin67

Take toilet paper, or lots of $1 bills to pay for 3 squares for a buck.

Which bathroom are you talking about in Progreso? My daughter and i were there this summer and used the restroom in the market where the tour busses depart from and they had TP and it didn't cost anything for us.

I used the restroom in the area where you get back on the bus to return to the cruise terminal. There was no toilet paper and no lid on the toilet. A lady was sitting at a table in front of the restroom. She had a wicker basket with a sign that read $1 tip. When you put in a $1 she gave you 3 squares of toilet paper. This was on September 21, 2010 around 1030am.

I used the restroom in the area where you get back on the bus to return to the cruise terminal. There was no toilet paper and no lid on the toilet. A lady was sitting at a table in front of the restroom. She had a wicker basket with a sign that read $1 tip. When you put in a $1 she gave you 3 squares of toilet paper. This was on September 21, 2010 around 1030am.

Same bathroom we used but the attendant must have been on break bedcause my daughter and I both used RR without being charged and there was TP in there. Guess we were lucky.:D

Holy Crap!

• 1 month later...
That is exactly what it means. The $ means peso. The locals love gullible tourist.

If her true intent was to charge in peso's then the following is a correct extrapolation.

IF $1.00 USD = 3 peices of toilet paper

1 piece of TP = $0.33 USD

$1 Peso = $0.08 USD

Therefore 1 peso buys exactly 0.24 sheets of TP.

What's the point? The local is a thief pure and simple. She is NOT taking advantage of the "gullible" but deliberately misinforming her "patrons" for the sake of monetary gain. Shameful. And I have no doubt the locals love taking money from the tourists even if it is unearned. :mad:

If her true intent was to charge in peso's then the following is a correct extrapolation.

$1 Peso = $0.08 USD

What's the point? The local is a thief pure and simple. She is NOT taking advantage of the "gullible" but deliberately misinforming her "patrons" for the sake of monetary gain. Shameful. And I have no doubt the locals love taking money from the tourists even if it is unearned. :mad:

Guess we got lucky a couple of weeks ago at Uxmal. We used the restrooms at the site near the shops and ticket counter and it didn't cost anything, was very clean and had plenty of tp. But I had some in the pack just in case.

• 1 month later...

When we were there in Dec the word "TIP" was gone and a male sitting there would get loud if you even start to walk in without first paying.

OMGosh! good to know!

Not good to know. The OP posted total misinformation. The expected tip is a single peso or less. The OP did not take the time to learn anything about the currency of Mexico prior to their tourist trip and misunderstood that in Mexico $ means peso not US dollar. Currently the peso is 12.1 to a US dollar. Makes it about 8 cents.

I used this restroom when I was there in Feb 2009 and I dont recall there not being a toliet seat or having to tip for TP. Its something I would have remembered and its what I was used to in Germany in most public toliets.

I think I will pack one of those mini rolls however just to be sure. I would probably not have any Peso's and just had over a dollar.

• 2 weeks later...
I love these kind of tips!! Thanks for posting. I will be there end of October and will have my TP in my bag.:D

Even if you bring your own TP you are still expected to tip the attendant. They are the ones who keep the place clean. $1 = about 8-10 cents depending on the exchange rate. I give them a dollar anyway - what a horrible job, but somebody has to do it. They have the same system at the bus station in Playa del Carmen.

Note to self: Poop on the boat.

Every restaurant in town has a bathroom and you won't be charged if you are having a beer there.

Much ado about nothing IMHO.

:)

Drank to many $1 beers...had to 'go' before I got on the shuttle to the ship LOL

It was a $1 well spent yes-I know we overpaid--BUT IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY

$1 Peso = $0.08 USD

Explain how she is deliberately doing anything wrong.

The $ is what they use for peso, just like we use it for dollar.

The tourist are in their country.

They shouldn't have to make everything spelled out in English for the uninformed.

we just went to Buddy's and had a few beers and used the RR there for free, there was a tip jar out side but no one was standing there with their hand out!!! Got the best one hour massage for 15 bucks....... can you still get that or has it went up????

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived