birth certificate alright?

ryaneg

im taking my neice on a cruise and she will be turning 18 in may. we are not cruising until september. my question is, Do i need to bring anything besides her birth certificate, or should i get her a pass port. We will be in the same cabin. I dont know how this works. any help would be great. Also is the gambling age on the ship 18 or 21?

Do i need to bring anything besides her birth certificate, or should i get her a pass port.

Hate to be a 'broken record', but if you can possibly afford a passport, that would be the way to go!

I would guess that passports will be required within a year for most any travel outside of the United States, and mandatory to get back into the US! I'd apply for the passport for her... IMHO!! :D

My wife and I have been on 2 Caribbean cruises, and had just birth certificates and driver's licenses; no trouble at all. However, due to everyone's recommendations, we both now have passports. Don't forget to allow 8 weeks (that's how long it took us) to get your passport and birth certificate back in the mail.

Guest Time2gocruzn
im taking my neice on a cruise and she will be turning 18 in may. we are not cruising until september. my question is, Do i need to bring anything besides her birth certificate, or should i get her a pass port. We will be in the same cabin. I dont know how this works. any help would be great. Also is the gambling age on the ship 18 or 21?

You may check Carnivals site..but I believe children over 16 have to have a photo ID. Although my kids are only 2 and 4, I got a state issued ID card for my them at the state DOT. Looks like a drivers license, cost $5. I have also heard a school ID will work as well. BUT you wil want to be absolutley sure on this:)

OOH! Edited top add I think you have to have a certified letter from her parents stating she can be with you, if her parents aren't coming along.

As the previous poster said BC and picture ID is fine. My son was 18 on our last cruise and brought along a state ID (still hadn't gotten license yet). If she has a license...that will be fine. Since she is 18...you likely will not need a letter from parents...But I would check the Carnival site. Also gambling age is 18.

Guest Time2gocruzn
Since she will not be a minor at time of travel I can't see why she would need a letter from her parents. I think that only pertains to minors.

oops, yep you are right. I mis read the op and thought she was 16, not 18.;) :)

Archived