Cunard have spoilt my suprise

Highly Sociable

My husband has a big birthday in November, so we are going on the taste of France trip in November as his big day will actually be whilst we are on board. Now all this was done in secret. His brother and sister and their spouses are also with us and I have paid to upgrade us all to QG.

All correspondance was done through my office address so my husband would be kept in the dark until nearer the day and I wasn't going to tell him about the QG bit until we actually arrived.

But Cunard sent all the tickets to our home address today - addressed to him. So now he knows about everything. I am so mad. I've spent six months keeping it a secret and now it has all been spoilt.

Our TA doesn't know what has gone wrong. All we can think of is that Cunard changed my address to office for this trip, but changed it back to home for another trip I have booked and the first booking got up dated as well.

Only good news is that he is absolutely thrilled. Thats got to be worth a new dress at least;)

My husband has a big birthday in November, so we are going on the taste of France trip in November as his big day will actually be whilst we are on board. Now all this was done in secret. His brother and sister and their spouses are also with us and I have paid to upgrade us all to QG.

All correspondance was done through my office address so my husband would be kept in the dark until nearer the day and I wasn't going to tell him about the QG bit until we actually arrived.

But Cunard sent all the tickets to our home address today - addressed to him. So now he knows about everything. I am so mad. I've spent six months keeping it a secret and now it has all been spoilt.

Our TA doesn't know what has gone wrong. All we can think of is that Cunard changed my address to office for this trip, but changed it back to home for another trip I have booked and the first booking got up dated as well.

Only good news is that he is absolutely thrilled. Thats got to be worth a new dress at least;)

Sorry to hear they done this , We are also on this trip what Q grade did you manage to get?

Snap!! This happened to us 3 weeks ago. We have managed to keep our cruise a secret for over a year from my Father as it's a suprise for his 70th. I have lied through my teeth and at times it has been very tough.

We have told Cunard this multiple times but still they sent the itinery and luggage labels etc addressed to him.

We haver been very lucky that my Mother got to the post first and had the common sense to hide it there and then.

I am sorry your suprise has been spoilt by a lack of communication. Unfortunatly this is not the only problem we have had with Cunard and the shoreside staff. I can only hope that our actual cruise makes up for this.

Enjoy!

We have told Cunard this multiple times but still they sent the itinery and luggage labels etc addressed to him.

Getting our luggage labels and other pre-voyage stuff was like pulling teeth, involving multiple telephone calls and emails - what rotten luck that you managed to get yours...

Mary

But Cunard sent all the tickets to our home address today - addressed to him.

You do know what would have happened if it had not been a secret, don't you?

You'd have been posting on here

'I AM SAILING IN THREE DAYS AND DON'T HAVE ANY DOCS/LABELS WHAT SHOULD I DO??????'

Oh well.....the anticipation is often an important part of the fun - I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time!

I am so mad. I've spent six months keeping it a secret and now it has all been spoilt.

It hasn't all been spoilt! The six of you will still enjoy it :) If you won't then you might as well give the tickets away. If I were your husband I'd be delighted to know sooner rather than later - I could start mentally preparing myself and the excitement would have longer to build :)

Our TA doesn't know what has gone wrong.

Have Cunard changed their policy? It used to be that when you booked through an agent the tickets went to the agent first - Cunard did not send them directly to you :confused:

Have Cunard changed their policy? It used to be that when you booked through an agent the tickets went to the agent first - Cunard did not send them directly to you :confused:

This is a British Travel Agent. Have you ever met one who knew what day of the week it was? My money is on a travel agent foul up.

What I don't understand is how the tickets were addressed to anyone other than the lead passenger. It sounds like a major foul-up to send the details to a subsidiary passenger whatever address was used.

I presume that they addressed them to the head of the household.

I presume that they addressed them to the head of the household.

Cunard don't know who that is though (if such a thing exists in this day and age) - they ask for a lead passenger in whose name the booking is made and all the other associated passenger details. Presumably the lady who was keeping the booking a surprise was the lead so it seems bizarre that Cunard should suddenly send the details to another named passenger.

I am so sorry that your surprise didn't work out, but I am sure you will have a fabulous time! Your husband is one very lucky man!

We had a similar problem with Cunard 2 years ago for our QV trip. I had also wanted to keep the trip a surprise from my husband, and my travel agent had been using my office address for all of the correspondence. The pre-voyage packet was sent to my travel agent, and she then forwarded it to me at work. Then the faux leather folder with the voyage info suddenly arrived at our home address, addressed to my husband! He usually collects the mail, but this was the one day I got home earlier than usual, so picked up the mail myself, and seeing that the envelope was from Cunard, hid it away.

My TA made a formal complaint to Cunard, hoping maybe we'd get some free OBC because of their error, but all we got was an apology. Anyway, I was able to make the trip a complete surprise, and we had a fantastic time!

Enjoy your trip!:)

We have travelled so many times with Cunard, and my husband has always been lead passenger, as he is on the booking that we made a few weeks ago for next April. So I can only assume that once this booking was made, all instructions for the 'secret' booking were over ruled, so to speak. I think our TA must have done this without realising the consequences. I haven't spoken to her yet as she is on leave, but I have told her assistant what has happened.

With regards to tickets normally going to the TA, they did for our July cruise, and we got paper luggage labels, but this time we have proper labels again and I just assumed that this was because we are in QG.

I must admit that I was really annoyed when it happened. But its not the end of the world and he is now really looking forward to it. and it also means that when we are in London with his family this weekend for his birthday present from them (Les Mis at the O2), they won't have to think twice about what they are saying.

I think our TA must have done this without realising the consequences.

So not Cunard? :) I am not a big fan of Cunard Reservations (in the UK, the US reservations are "incredible" ;) ) but I am even less of a fan of UK travel agents! I have worked for many years with UK agents and have found them almost without exception to be very poor at best. You can be sure that they will make any mistake or misunderstanding possible :rolleyes: The only reason to use an agent in this country is because they are able to offer a better rate than Cunard do directly.

its not the end of the world

You are quite right :) Ignore my rant about agents :)

I was surprised today to receive my pre-cruise package (for the November 27th sailing) at my home address from Cunard via royal mail.

In the past, pre-cruise booklets went through the travel agent in NYC who wold forward them to me.

I am wondering why this change of procedure...

Archived