Jimmy Buffet is ruining my vacations!

lla887

Jimmy Buffet is NOT played near as aften as Bob Marley, Alpha Blondy & Buster poindexter......which might i add, are all perfect caribbean cruising songs & really get you in the right frame of cruising mind when your standing on deck, sipping a DOD, watching the real world disappear into the deep blue ocean...........Geeezzz, thats it, i just engulfed my whole brain into that thought, i really need a Cruise NOW!!!

Buffett has recorded over 360 songs! Many loyal Parrotheads, such as myself, cringe at Cheeseburger and Margaritaville. 360 songs! Do not judge the artist by two songs or the lack of research by the disc jockey.

Granted I do not like some of his music, but the majority is very good and tells a story and some are very cerebral. But, his music (except that country stuff he put out) makes me think of cruising/Caribbean/palm trees/water.

My taste in music range is all over the place with jazz and blues at the top. Now, I would absolutely jump overboard if they played country all the time. Of course, two country songs in row and I am ready to hit something or someone.

Just sayin'

This has to be the first time the words Buffett and Cerebral have been used in the same post. Now leave me a minute while I reflect on the deep inner meaning of Cheeseburger in Paradise.

I disagree. I like Jimmy Buffet while on a cruise or in the Caribbean. I also like steel drums. I like (LOVE actually) all things Caribbean and welcome them on a cruise to that location.

It would seem weird on a cruise to Alaska...but not the Caribbean. :D

I agree 100%! But a question...inquiring minds and all that...what is the music "flavor" on an Alaskan cruise? Haven't been on one YET, but never really thought of it either.

Personally I love listening to Jimmy Buffett and Bob Marley music on my cruises. I think they are perfect for the Caribbean! Listen to them at home sometimes too and they put me in the mood for cruising. Can't stand hip hop, but we all have our favorites. My favorites happen to be the Stones, but don't think I've ever heard them on a ship, but that's ok lol. There's different music played on the ships, though. It's not all Buffett and Marley.

OK so correct me if I'm wrong............but didn't what we now know as "hip-hop" orginate from Carribean music? Mostly what came out of Jamaica during the Bob M. years, newer younger musicians took that music and added a new flair to it.

Ok the title maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but is anyone else sick of hearing Margaritaville on cruises, or any Jimmy Buffet song? I mean the guy's music is terrible!

Cruisers, especially on Carnival, are getting younger and younger. Can't the music reflect that? Trust me there is an entire generation of cruisers out there that really can't stand Jimmy Buffet music.

Please let cruises play more hip hop music, or at least rock and country that was recorded in the last twenty years.

p.s. That "Cruising" song by Huey Louis and Gweneth Paltrow is really awful too.

Take it up with John Heald. :D

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down

Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead

When the skies of November turn gloomy.

:D

Sounds like you would prefer to hear My Heart Will Go On :eek:

I might end it all now just by mentioning that tune

Hey - this sounds like Canada bashing! Gordon Lightfoot and Celine Dion are two national treasures.

(Would you like to buy a national treasure cheap?)

I was looking for some Sigur Ros in the Karaoke Bar as I was trying to learn Icelandic through Rosetta Stone & see how I was coming along. That would be some great cruising music ;) But alas I got nothing.

I would have paid cash money to have seen that.

(I made a pretty good Sigur Ros mix for my trip to Yosemite. Good driving music.)

At the ripe old age of 29, I have been a Jimmy Buffett fan for YEARS, since I was a young teen, at least.

I am also priming my six-year old daughter to be a parrotthead too. Her favorite song is "Fins". :D

I know this is off-topic but you have the greatest avatar of all time.

I just had to Youtube who Jimmy Buffet was (from Ireland). It will be something different for us and we can't wait to hear Caribbean Music on our Caribbean Cruise but I can understand if you are fed up of him and his music as everyones taste is different.

Archived