Adventures on the Carnival Conquest… a review of the Sep 26 7 day cruise to Cozumel

*Mach*

It is my understanding that this thread was started for the purpose of Mach to give his review of the Crazies cruise on the Conquest.........Not a thread about whether you like or dislike this man, or his style of writing.

The good thing about Cruise Critic, nobody is twisting your arm to read anything.

If you read something that offends you, or you just simply don't like someone......then PLEASE don't read it.

There are THOUSANDS of other threads out there that might interest you, if this one doesn't.

There are a lot of people who are anxiously waiting to read this review, myself included.

So Mach, I hope that you will continue on with this review. :)

It is my understanding that this thread was started for the purpose of Mach to give his review of the Crazies cruise on the Conquest.........Not a thread about whether you like or dislike this man, or his style of writing.

The good thing about Cruise Critic, nobody is twisting your arm to read anything.

If you read something that offends you, or you just simply don't like someone......then PLEASE don't read it.

There are THOUSANDS of other threads out there that might interest you, if this one this one doesn't.

There are a lot of people who are anxiously waiting to read this review, myself included.

I like reading reviews. What I think the problem here is (at least for me), is that what is a good ole' ha-ha moment among friends can, and does, rub people the wrong way when presented to the masses. This review is for the masses, and the 'observations' need to be tempered (and this is coming from someone who hates the PC attitude). The name calling - robust, Cpt Lecture, twit, poser - need to be toned down when you are inviting pretty much the whole world to read what you have to say. Just sayin'

There are THOUSANDS of other threads out there that might interest you, if this one doesn't.

Well said, Julie! I am going to TRY to ignore the people here who are getting off topic:D, and concentrate on Mach's review! Carry on, Mach....:)

well said Julie!!

As pretty much anyone who has sailed on a Conquest class ship knows, the Atrium is quite a soaring affair. In the case of the Conquest it’s dazzling with the ceiling adorned with a collage of Impressionist art or more correctly reproductions of Impressionist art. Regardless of how often I sail on here that’s where my eyes go first… up to take in this sight.

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

Also, I always make a quick stop at the Guest Services desk to check for any messages and deposit an extra hundred dollars, or so, on my Sail & Sign account. That accomplished we headed up to the Lido Deck to set up our Hospitality Desk where the folks from the group could pick up their name tags, goodie bags and such. Upon arrival at the Lido Deck Atrium area there was no table to be found. Foo. A trip down to Guest Services was in order. Shortly the issue was resolved and a table was on its way. Back at the Lido Deck Stitch was busily sorting items to be passed out and trying to figure out some way to keep the Crazies flag and banner from simply rolling back up into an unrecognizable tube.

Our late start made adhering to the schedule of volunteers who were to act as hosts difficult to stick to but people wanted to help out and we were happy to let them.

The table had arrived, been set up and covered with a very nice crimson cloth and skirt making it really look like we knew what we were doing! All of the goodie bags were laid out in some semblance of order and we had an opportunity to wander off to Sur Mer for a bite of lunch. Sure Mer is one of my favorite places to eat on board as it is for a great many guests. The menu is simple but delicious with just a bit of elegance tossed in for good measure. I’d recommend the Ahi Tuna on fresh watermelon… great stuff!!

After a bite and a quick visit with some of the Crazies who had found a place to park on the Lido Deck we returned to the Hospitality Desk to find all running smoothly. I love it when a plan comes together! The hundreds of Mardi Gras beads were rapidly vanishing along with the piles of leis that hid the top of the table. Folks were picking up their bagged items which included a wrist band as an identifier for those who were attending the cocktail party we paid for in advance. I’d recommend this technique to any group who has one of these scheduled. A bag of 100 or so of these wrist bands are only a few dollars and make it easy for the bartenders and drink waiters to identify who should and who should not be there for the event.

At around 1:30 numerous folks made a retreat for their cabins to stow away the carry ons, the cameras, the water and whatever else made it on to the ship. Sail away was now about two hours away and the tempo was building. With some of our luggage stowed away and a short walk up the stairs (elevators are locked during embark to allow the crew to move luggage about...) we returned to the Lido Deck.

From above the midships pool live island music resounded lightening the mood still further not that the mood needed a lot of help. About a dozen drink waiters circulated with trays of Fun Ship Specials at the ready… and we were ready. Delightful concoction in hand the end of the ‘busy’ part of embarkation was near, all was going well and Stitch and I took a few minutes to do little else other than wander. Wandering on a Carnival ship is a good thing. Wandering leads one back to places and things that brought smiles in the past and build memories for the future. Layers of memories create a deliciously detailed vision of an event… even one as long as seven days.

IMG_3119.jpg

Mach, I too had a run-in with the lady of power over my carry-on! Although I knew my bag was a "tad" longer than allowed I insisted that it would fit in that metal contraption. All the while she was saying "check that bag" I was stuffing my water/soda bag into that space and just as she started towards me, I turned holding my bag and the whole damn metal contraption thingy at her eye level........the look on her face-priceless......she waved me through.....although it took about 5 minutes to dislodge it all.:D

I would normally agree there is no such thing as a bad cruise, because even with not-so-hot entertainment or nothing on the schedule we particularly care for, DH and I can always enjoy ourselves, even if its just hanging out on the balcony- but I have to say, this was the worst vacation I've ever been on, cruise or otherwise. This was our 5th cruise, and our 4th with Carnival. I understood the ports being canceled- but I did not at all agree with dragging us into the God-awful storms that they did. We looked at the radar leaving Galveston, and hoped they would re-route somehow... But, instead we were put thru the ringer, and sick in the room for 2 days. That isn't much fun, no matter how much fun your trying to have.

The steak house on board was great... And our wait staff were exceptional in the Monet dining room. We were on the ship for a friends wedding, and luckily she got married the first sea day. If she had waited until the Jamaica days stop, I'm afraid we would've all missed her wedding for being so sick...

I saw lots of Crazies door signs- whoever had the flip flops on their door, that was really cute. :) Glad you guys' enjoyed yourselves.

I second that. There is such a thing as a bad cruise..and thy name is Carnival Conquest. Worst vacation we have ever taken. If it had been our first cruise, it would be our last cruise.

Our dissappointment was not about missing ports or the rough seas (which we kind of enjoyed since neither of us is proned to seas sickness.) We found the food on the ship disgusting and the ship itself dark, depressing and smokey. (Seriously, some of the lounges smell like an old sock.) And it wasn't just us, we spoke to a number of passengers dissatisfied with the food and the ship's atmosphere. We mostly agreed that missing ports is not so disappointing when you are enjoying the ship. As I read all the posts on the other threads about how the "protesters" (we never saw any) had a right to be "disappointed, yes", "angry, no", I was thinking they were disappointed to miss the ports, they were angry at having to stay on the Conquest.

I will say that debarkation was smooth as silk since we were in the first group of self-assisters to get off the ship. You know, the group of passengers with the early flights? While waiting to disembark, we chatted with a couple from Waco, newlyweds from San Antone and a group of seniors from Houston. All had early flights :cool:

Host Mach and other Crazies, I'm glad that you all enjoyed yourselves. I realize that everyone has different likes and dislikes and that's why God makes chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream.

Carnival - after trying both the Ecstasy and now the Conquest - is not for us.

I second that. There is such a thing as a bad cruise..and thy name is Carnival Conquest. Worst vacation we have ever taken. If it had been our first cruise, it would be our last cruise.

Our dissappointment was not about missing ports or the rough seas (which we kind of enjoyed since neither of us is proned to seas sickness.) We found the food on the ship disgusting and the ship itself dark, depressing and smokey. (Seriously, some of the lounges smell like an old sock.) And it wasn't just us, we spoke to a number of passengers dissatisfied with the food and the ship's atmosphere. We mostly agreed that missing ports is not so disappointing when you are enjoying the ship. As I read all the posts on the other threads about how the "protesters" (we never saw any) had a right to be "disappointed, yes", "angry, no", I was thinking they were disappointed to miss the ports, they were angry at having to stay on the Conquest.

I will say that debarkation was smooth as silk since we were in the first group of self-assisters to get off the ship. You know, the group of passengers with the early flights? While waiting to disembark, we chatted with a couple from Waco, newlyweds from San Antone and a group of seniors from Houston. All had early flights :cool:

Host Mach and other Crazies, I'm glad that you all enjoyed yourselves. I realize that everyone has different likes and dislikes and that's why God makes chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream.

I actually did see the protestors. We were in our room and the mom of my friend (the bride who got married on the ship) called our room and told us there was some major drama going on in Degas because many people were demanding answers and refunds. We went to check it out because hey, we had nothing else better to do. There were a lot of people who were peacefully annoyed at the situation. And there were some who didn't handle it like they should've.

What was worst about the whole thing to me, was when they were taking room numbers to assign an Incident Number to the people who were upset and wanted to file a complaint, a waiter busted through a couple talking to the guy from guest services (and the couple were being polite- not rude) and spilled red wine all over the husband and didn't even offer to apologize or clean it up. I found it very uncharacteristic of a bar waiter, and very tacky. The man was getting ready to go to supper for formal night and had to go change. He just kept shaking his head but kept his cool- something I'm not sure I could've done.

Maybe it is just ME, but i don't notice things like smells and such....i'm just so thrilled to be on a cruise....i don't let things bother me too much...the only complaint i had about the cruise was that i never found out who our room steward was!:confused: Usually they introduce themselves to you...but we never saw our steward, or, if we did see them, we didn't know it was them!:rolleyes: Other than that, i had a blast on this cruise because i was with some of my very best friends in the whole world!:)

Maybe it is just ME, but i don't notice things like smells and such....i'm just so thrilled to be on a cruise....i don't let things bother me too much...the only complaint i had about the cruise was that i never found out who our room steward was!:confused: Usually they introduce themselves to you...but we never saw our steward, or, if we did see them, we didn't know it was them!:rolleyes: Other than that, i had a blast on this cruise because i was with some of my very best friends in the whole world!:)

I didn't notice any smells except on the days where many people were sea sick... Bathrooms were awful but the staff was working constantly to try to keep them cleaned up...

But I have to say... Call me a snobby cruiser or whatever you'd like... lol I'm not "honored" enough to be on any vacation to put up with crap, just because I got to go. I pay good, hard earned money for every trip I take, and I take off from work unpaid because I don't get paid vacation, to go on these trips. I expect a good trip and good service for my pay- because the trip wasn't given to me. That being said, I'm never rude to staff unless someone has been unprofessional and rude to me... Doesn't matter to me whether I'm at a hotel, flying or on a cruise. I pay good money- I expect a good expierence and for the people's wages I am paying (yes, even the tidbit that goes to the captain) to at least act like they appreciate that I am frequenting their business when I could be somewhere else.

I actually did see the protestors. We were in our room and the mom of my friend (the bride who got married on the ship) called our room and told us there was some major drama going on in Degas because many people were demanding answers and refunds. We went to check it out because hey, we had nothing else better to do. There were a lot of people who were peacefully annoyed at the situation. And there were some who didn't handle it like they should've.

What was worst about the whole thing to me, was when they were taking room numbers to assign an Incident Number to the people who were upset and wanted to file a complaint, a waiter busted through a couple talking to the guy from guest services (and the couple were being polite- not rude) and spilled red wine all over the husband and didn't even offer to apologize or clean it up. I found it very uncharacteristic of a bar waiter, and very tacky. The man was getting ready to go to supper for formal night and had to go change. He just kept shaking his head but kept his cool- something I'm not sure I could've done.

Wow, we missed it. The only thing we noticed was the long line at Guest Services after missing Jamaica. Oh and one very expressive woman on the elevator. I was glad she wasn't mad at me :eek: That is too bad that the waiter spilled red wine on the man's dress clothes but good for him for keeping his composure. I think waiting until the last minute to fill everyone in on the fact that we wouldn't be going ashore added to the disappointment. The weather was nice in Grand Cayman so that upset a lot of folks. Do they not have radios in those big ships? :rolleyes:

Food disgusting? Wow, maybe we were just lucky on our choices in the dining room, pizza place, fish n chips and deli. Hell, even the hot-dogs were good. We don't do buffets so cant and never will comment on that. The Chefs table was worth every penny and the Point was really super as well.

The only lounge we didn't go into was the Blue Room (piano bar) and those are always smoky. The cigar bar of course smelt....of cigars. The sports bar was smoky so didn't go there much. Although the casino was smoky there was no smoking areas that I enjoyed greatly.

Anyway, you're right cruising is not for everyone but to call the food disgusting is just plain wrong!

Wow, we missed it. The only thing we noticed was the long line at Guest Services after missing Jamaica. Oh and one very expressive woman on the elevator. I was glad she wasn't mad at me :eek: That is too bad that the waiter spilled red wine on the man's dress clothes but good for him for keeping his composure. I think waiting until the last minute to fill everyone in on the fact that we wouldn't be going ashore added to the disappointment. The weather was nice in Grand Cayman so that upset a lot of folks. Do they not have radios in those big ships? :rolleyes:

The weather was nicer in Grand Cayman but the sea state wasn't and certainly was not conducive to safe tendering. I was saving this picture, and others, for the appropriate point in my review but decided to add one here:

CraziesSep26273.jpg

Those waves are not just washing up on shore... that spray is perhaps 15, 20 feet high.

I took that picture moments after the announcement that the Port Authority at Georgetown had closed the port to tendering operations...

Food disgusting? Wow, maybe we were just lucky on our choices in the dining room, pizza place, fish n chips and deli. Hell, even the hot-dogs were good. We don't do buffets so cant and never will comment on that. The Chefs table was worth every penny and the Point was really super as well.

The only lounge we didn't go into was the Blue Room (piano bar) and those are always smoky. The cigar bar of course smelt....of cigars. The sports bar was smoky so didn't go there much. Although the casino was smoky there was no smoking areas that I enjoyed greatly.

Anyway, you're right cruising is not for everyone but to call the food disgusting is just plain wrong!

I didn't say cruising is not for us. We have cruised before and it is our favorite vacation. As far as we are concerned, cruising is the best value for the money..most of the time. I said Carnival isn't for us.

I don't appreciate your personal attack, telling me I'm wrong for having an opinion. As far as we are concerned, the food in general - and we tried most of the venues - was disgusting. We did not try the Point or the Chef's Table. We thought we'd paid enough already to be served acceptable fare.

If you liked the food, well then I guess you enjoyed your vacation more than we enjoyed ours...

I didn't notice any smells except on the days where many people were sea sick... Bathrooms were awful but the staff was working constantly to try to keep them cleaned up...

But I have to say... Call me a snobby cruiser or whatever you'd like... lol I'm not "honored" enough to be on any vacation to put up with crap, just because I got to go. I pay good, hard earned money for every trip I take, and I take off from work unpaid because I don't get paid vacation, to go on these trips. I expect a good trip and good service for my pay- because the trip wasn't given to me. That being said, I'm never rude to staff unless someone has been unprofessional and rude to me... Doesn't matter to me whether I'm at a hotel, flying or on a cruise. I pay good money- I expect a good expierence and for the people's wages I am paying (yes, even the tidbit that goes to the captain) to at least act like they appreciate that I am frequenting their business when I could be somewhere else.

I hear where you are coming from....i guess i have never had a bad cruise, and this was my 11th cruise...first time i've ever had a missed port....i've never had a crew member be rude to me, quite the opposite...they are all usually very friendly and say hello, etc. I expect a good vacation too, but i guess i just roll with the flow...one time our waiter forgot to bring us our dessert....no big deal....we just reminded him we hadn't got it yet....we didn't yell or throw fits, etc. i didn't hold it against him....and i didn't take it personally....the guy is human, just like I am...

Sorry, double post.:rolleyes:

I've been on a ship that was turned away after arriving in Grand Cayman. It was a BEAUTIFUL day, but the currents and the tides prevented tendering. It's a pretty common event there.

I think waiting until the last minute to fill everyone in on the fact that we wouldn't be going ashore added to the disappointment. The weather was nice in Grand Cayman so that upset a lot of folks. Do they not have radios in those big ships? :rolleyes:

The weather may have been BETTER than it had been in Jamaica, but it wasn't good enough to keep the port authority from closing the port. How do you know they waited until the last minute to let us know? It was NOT Carnival's fault that the port was closed....and that happens a LOT in GC...it was just unfortunate that it happened after we had to miss Jamaica because of bad weather....i just trust that the Captain and his crew know what they are doing....

Archived