why do americans dress like tourists?

stillwaters

It's amazing that you can detect a "stunning lack of any knowledge" from a half mile away. Generally I need to talk to someone or at least overhear their conversation prior to making any judgement as to their level of knowledge of anything!

Most Brits I've run into while I've been travelling seem to think all Americans live in New York city or California. Simply because my husband could identify Madison Square Gardens from the NY skyline while atop the Empire State Building a pair of British Airways flight attendants assumed he was a native New Yorker. When he indicated he was from the MidWest (puzzled looks) from somewhere north of Chicago (vague recognition), their reply was that they knew someone who once had a flight to Chicago and that it was cold. One asked how could he drive his car through all the snow -- didn't it just sink into it? :eek:

So if we are going to generalize ANYthing here, let's generalize that most people in the world are blissfully ignorant of all other places and cultures than their own and few tourists really bother to learn anything about the places they are about to visit!:)

My cousins from southeast Asia were visiting the NYC area a few years ago. They wanted to know whether or not everyone in New York carried guns. :eek: I'm pretty sure they picked that up from watching too many TV shows and movies.

Leaving for my Panama Canal cruise next Friday. Thinking of doing the rainforest village tour. Does anyone have some suggestions where I might find a loincloth before I go? I do so want to fit in.....

......but I do know where to find a "Members Only" windbreaker.:D (a blast from the past.)

The defining item of wear for American men is the baseball cap. If I see a man wearing a baseball cap, the odds are pretty good he is American. Canadian men of a certain age can be spotted wearing our Tilly hats.

I agree. My son (17yo) is in Belgium for almost 3 months staying with my aunt. His "uniform" is shorts, t-shirt, and baseball cap. After 2 weeks he has yet to see anyone else either in shorts OR wearing a baseball cap. He is trying to learn Flemish but I am pretty sure he won't be blending in with the locals anytime soon! He is determined to find a way to move to Belgium though. :)

Diane

My cousins from southeast Asia were visiting the NYC area a few years ago. They wanted to know whether or not everyone in New York carried guns. :eek: I'm pretty sure they picked that up from watching too many TV shows and movies.

I was asked this same question in New Zealand--do we take guns to the supermarket. I live near Los Angeles.

Ok after reading some of these posts, I just went out and bought a pair of grey colored(not white) Dr Shouls tennis or walking shoes for my next cruise in a few weeks..But im still wearing my Kilts and the speedo at the beach or pool:D.

Leaving the windbreaker in the car at the pier..

I was asked this same question in New Zealand--do we take guns to the supermarket. I live near Los Angeles.

I think generalizations occur everywhere. I've just returned from a cruise that stopped in Israel. You'd be surprised how many people told me they wouldn't go because it is "too dangerous." Same was true when I took a land tour of Egypt. In reality, my chances of running into any harm there are much MUCH lower than in most places in the US.

Just some statistics I like to quote when people ask about the danger of traveling abroad:

Americans killed in terrorist attacks around the world in 2008: 33

Americans who died in car crashes in 2008: 34,017

Americans who died from flu in 2008: 36,171

Just some statistics I like to quote when people ask about the danger of traveling abroad:

Americans killed in terrorist attacks around the world in 2008: 33

Americans murdered domestically 16,442. Apparently getting killed is only upsetting if the killer looks different from you. If he's wearing a windbreaker and white sneakers, s'alright.

Archived